U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2007, 11:09 PM

11 posts, read 54,041 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to the area and I was shocked to see the houses didn't/couldn't have basements. I know about how the weather can get down there sometimes so I was curious about what you do in case of a tornado.

I was looking for tornado shelters online and I came across this site www.shelters-of-texas.com and I was curious if anyone had any feedback on this companies shelter or this kind of shelter. It looks like the price would be more than justified for the security of knowing you have one as long as they work

We get tornados here in Northern Illinois but it seems like you guys get them about 4X as often. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 07:13 AM

27,436 posts, read 44,934,740 times
we don't have basements because we don't have winter freezing like northern climbs--don't have to build foundations below deep frost line--plus our soils have different composition--many clay or very porous--water infiltration would be big problem

there are "safe rooms" that builders can add to a new home or that people can have constructed in back yard===my thinking is that you never know if you will BE at home when bad weather comes--you could even be asleep and not hear sirens to get into it before tornado comes---having one is not like having a seat belt in the car and using it daily...or even having an insurance policy to cover your home if damaged...
but I have noticed that some builders are putting them in new construction (say 350-400,000+) as selling point...
Of course weather people hop right on it any time a tornado comes through--there are lots of storms that bring none--I am sure someone can give a site w.some real statistics...this has been bad spring for freaky weather--lots of little tornado-type storms...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or