U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 09:38 AM

15 posts, read 47,952 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying a house in Thornbury in Colleyville. It is hard to get a sense of neighborhood because it is gated/guarded. We have three small children. Do any young kids live there? What is the neighborhood like in terms of people - are there kids playing outside, are residents outide around the neigbhorhood? Social activities? Any information is much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 03:54 PM

11 posts, read 21,348 times
Moderator cut: not allowed per ToS Thornbury is surrounded by several other excellent neighborhoods that aren't gated if you are interested in a community that offers more accessibility. The Lakes Of Somerset, one of my personal favorites, comes to mind.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-27-2010 at 11:44 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 08:06 AM

27,535 posts, read 44,987,445 times
the realtor we worked with for several years gave me some info about Thornbury -- which was too expensive for us--while we were looking--
she has very good friend who is long time resident there and I am sure she has sold homes in there during her many years as RE agent in the area...
the HOA dues are high because there is 24 hr security--maybe that won't be a problem for you but make sure you know what they are and how often they can be raised...
MLS shows the dues as 660 but I would not be surprised if that was each quarter when they are paid vs 12 months..
There is flooding at the back corner of the development (along Meandering Way mainly I guess) due to creek that runs along border and the area that borders Pool/Jackson road has a water crossing gate which is closed at high water times...
I am not saying the homes flood--but some of the back areas do--
depending on the weather that land can stay wet for days
I would ask about the Flood Plain zoning -- it is being updated by Corps of Engineers--
we have house in Bedford that backs to what is rain overflow creek bed --
it is dry 300+ days of the year basically and has never jumped the boundaries of the creek bed--but we got notified our lot has been rezoned into Flood Plain area so now we need flood insurance...

Thornbury is right on the Glade/Jackson Rd corner--busy, busy and the elementary school Taylor is just north on Glade--probably walkable from the intersection--I see children walking/riding bikes when I go through there at times-- and there are sidewalks and a crossing guard--but NO LIGHT at that intersection...
I am sure the HOA group can give you info about family composition or the local school could tell you how many students come from Thornbury in gross numbers...
There are plenty of nice subdivisions in Colleyville but this might be the only gated one with full time security...

Old 01-31-2010, 04:34 PM

49 posts, read 104,185 times
Brook Meadows right across the street in the non-gated subdivision. (The two were originally to be one neighborhood as they were built by the same developer). Ashmore is located north of Brook Meadows and is somewhat expensive.

I would assume kids live there due to the location of OC Taylor Elementary. Either way, there would be kids very close by.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 PM

9,511 posts, read 19,520,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
There are plenty of nice subdivisions in Colleyville but this might be the only gated one with full time security...
And honestly, unless you're a billionaire, you DON'T need 24-hour gated security in NE Tarrant County. Colleyville has extremely low crime, and I just don't see the need for that, especially when it makes your HOA dues so high.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:53 AM

Colleyville is a smaller town than Southlake which still has lot of room to grow north of 114 from what I understand and the area is certainly less dense, crowded than Dallas is...

Southlake has much larger commercial profile than Colleyville which until recently (say the last 8 yrs) has been pretty relentless about just being a suburban town--some of town council's decisions have not really panned out but there are some really good restaurants in Colleyvlle and all the shopping you want within a 15/20 min drive-- but it is more convenient to FTW probably than Southlake overall...

Grapevine-Colleyville schools have felt effect of apartments in Grapevine and its less affluent population but the schools for most part are rated excellent by TEA (hard to have any high school rated above Recognized)
the superintendent just announced she is taking job with Richardson ISD (with a salary that is pretty similar in a larger district) which makes me wonder if there are issues like the big budget shortfall from several years ago that might be waiting in the wings to appear--

ChristieP's comment about requiring gated security is pretty accurate--there is some crime but it is pretty minimal and rarely violent--BUT most people have security company signs in their yards/windows--just don't know how preventative that is or if they are hooked up but they are there...

Old 02-01-2010, 11:39 AM

49 posts, read 104,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
but it is more convenient to FTW probably than Southlake overall...
All depends on that 121/183 traffic situation. It is pretty much always bogged down after the split from 820.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM

there are ways to get around that--you can drive into Irving using Cheek-Sparger, going through the airport on what is basically Valley View and never get on the freeways

PS about Thornbury
depending on the house you are considering, I would want to make sure it was not affected by the current updated FEMA flood information
my house in Bedford was...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth