U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:18 AM

9,511 posts, read 19,526,329 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Texas all my life (nearly 40 years) and I've never been directly hit by a tornado. The only times I have had near-misses were when I lived out west in San Angelo. What Cupcake describes is typical from what I saw out there, but I don't know why she put her house up for sale after it...? Moving won't change anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 12:56 PM

739 posts, read 1,974,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvamommy View Post
Ok..how often are there Tornados in Fort Worth? I'm from Ca. and we have Earthquakes, but the thought of Tornados just scares me ...
Are there any parts of Texas that don't get hit as much?
thanks!
My grandparents live in central Oklahoma that gets hit by more violent weather than any other place in the world. There is not really anything to be afraid of I have been in storms with 140 mph winds and 2 medium sized tornados. If a house is made right they can withstand a 250 mph wind with minor damage. I reckon the building codes are different in Oklahoma than in south Texas. Here houses just use 2x4 studs. In Oklahoma in the county my grandparents live in they are required to use 2x6 studs and double walls on all the exterior and load bearing interior walls and 3/4" plywood covering the exterior walls. I was in a 140 mph storm at my grandparents house with baseball size hail it just busted a window. I was also in a tornado about 1/4 mile wide it tore the door off the garage, blew off most of the rain gutters and shingles. ( their house has doubled up 2x12's for the studs, ceiling joists, and roof trusses. The studs, and ceiling joists are covered with 1-1/4" plywood on both sides and the 2x12's in contact with the roof and covered with a layer of 2x12's and 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood on the top and 1x6's on the bottom side. Its way over built but a 190 mph wind did almost no damage. I reckon its about 5 times heavier than a normal house. During that tornado the house didn't move or vibrate any at all.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:58 PM

739 posts, read 1,974,669 times
It is not logical to dwell on things that are beyond your control. It will only serve to highten your anxiety.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:06 PM

252 posts, read 616,070 times
Yeah, I'd be WAY more concerned with an earthquake. At least with a tornado you have a warning before you are crushed to death.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:35 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,358,024 times
It helps if you have a scanner (or VHF receiver) that will pick up the local amateur radio R.A.C.E.S. (Radio Ameateur Civil Emergency Service) repeater and listen to the SKYWARN nets when they are activated. In Fort Worth, it is on 146.94 MHz. Any time the National Weather Service issues a severe weather warning, the net comes up. You can get reports of flooding, hail, wind, etc. with reference to the MAPSCO grid. I'm a ham so I participate on occasion, but mostly I just listen. It's great to know when something is coming your way!

Old 01-31-2010, 02:47 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,895,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I've lived in Texas all my life (nearly 40 years) and I've never been directly hit by a tornado. The only times I have had near-misses were when I lived out west in San Angelo. What Cupcake describes is typical from what I saw out there, but I don't know why she put her house up for sale after it...? Moving won't change anything.

to move out of state, but the tornado was not why. we were just sick of it here in general.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:12 PM

19,640 posts, read 53,536,771 times
If you are reading this forum, you can access www.weatherbug.com to get WeatherBug on your computer. The free version has ads but the paid verison is only about $20/yr.

You get an icon on the bottom message bar of your screen that flashes red any time severe weather is predicted in your area. It will go steady red for temps over 100 degrees. You can pick which reporting station is closest to your house so you get very accurate readings. I like it b/c I can see at a glance what the outside temp is, click on the icon to see the day's forecast, and get a warning with a tone for severe weather.

It is the system of reporting stations that the TV and weather service uses for forecasts.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-31-2010 at 11:09 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 06:39 PM

1,628 posts, read 5,776,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triwing View Post
Yeah, I'd be WAY more concerned with an earthquake. At least with a tornado you have a warning before you are crushed to death.
As someone who has spent a lot of time living in earthquake zones, I totally agree with this. I have no fear of weather which arrives with warning.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:55 PM

49 posts, read 104,205 times
I haven't lived in Fort Worth that long, but there was a Tornado back when I lived in Houston.

Up here in Fort Worth, the are a lot of powerful storms that roll across Texas to the east and cause Tornado Warnings on occasion. The worst I remember was 2 years ago. The warnings were issued well in advance, the sky was green, the winds picked up, but in the end there was not one where I was. So it's a pretty limited event I would say.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 AM

12,482 posts, read 8,515,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvamommy View Post
Ok..how often are there Tornados in Fort Worth? I'm from Ca. and we have Earthquakes, but the thought of Tornados just scares me ...
Are there any parts of Texas that don't get hit as much?
thanks!
Only one has actually hit us. hail is a bigger problem. I tornado will do damage in a limited area Hail can be heck on roofs and is much more widespread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth