U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 PM

43 posts, read 123,039 times

Advertisements

Ok..how often are there Tornados in Fort Worth? I'm from Ca. and we have Earthquakes, but the thought of Tornados just scares me ...
Are there any parts of Texas that don't get hit as much?
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM

5,199 posts, read 11,341,718 times
The threat of tornadoes are very scary and Ft. Worth is prone to them. Just a thunderstorm with high winds can be very dangerous as well not to mention the hail that accompanies many of them.

I'm from southern CA and I've never gotten used to the severe weather here. Unless one has lived with earthquakes and the threat of tornadoes, one really can't quite get the picture. I will still take the earthquakes in CA any day over the severe storms in this part of the country.

Most of Texas gets tornadoes but way out west like Alpine, Marfa, El Paso, etc., they're not nearly as frequent. Fort Worth is in the U.S.'s Tornado Alley.

The web site to the link below is great. It will give you information about any state's weather events.

NCDC Storm Events-Select State (http://www4.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-win/wwcgi.dll?wwEvent~Storms - broken link)

Old 01-28-2010, 04:00 PM

252 posts, read 615,593 times
You have to know how to be prepared but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it. To me, it seemed like the DFW news media had a habit of making tornadoes seem like a bigger issue than they are. They are a big issue, but just because there's a thunderstorm doesn't mean your house is going to be wiped clean from the foundation.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:30 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
You get a warning about the weather - there is no warning about an earthquake. How can the weather bother you more?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:25 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,436,212 times
The tornado threat is WAY overblown. Consider how many thousands of square miles of land there are in D/FW alone, and then realize that your average, run-of-the-mill tornado cuts a damage path typically less than a couple hundred yards wide and about 15-20 miles long.

Your odds of being in one, even in tornado alley, are remarkably slim.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:47 AM

91 posts, read 306,524 times
Whatever you don't grow up with tends to freak a person out a bit. I grew up with earthquakes in NorCal and have also lived in minor tornado areas. Earthquakes were just a part of life and you are prepped for it from the time you are a child. I found tornado warnings to be quite unsettling at first, but once you understand the warning systems and what to do when the threat is high, it will become as natural to you as duck/cover or finding a door to stand in during an earthquake. No worries.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:12 PM

1,064 posts, read 3,021,094 times
I agree, they are exaggerated. They can be scary but the chances are very slim of getting hit. I was working in downtown FW the day the tornado hit in 2000, I had just left work for the day but was still in the area. It was really scary and freaky but in 34 years, that is the closest I have come near to any kind of threat of a tornado.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:44 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,888,771 times
They are very real and we did hit and this was just last year. I remember hearing the sirens go off and it was very windy, my little girl was freaking and ran out into the den, just as I went to get her out the windows in the den shattered and glass, rain and wind came at us. My husband grabbed us and we went into the closet. It sounded like a fright train was going by, as if it was only inches away from us. It was deafing, I couldn't even hear my husband talking to me.

Afterwards we had all our carpet replaced, upstairs and down, all the furniture that was soaked with water and glass was replaced, a new roof, new windows, new fence because it was in the street in pieces with our grill and peach tree, pool repair because someone's tramploline blew into our yard and cracked some of the pool.

We put the house up for sale after the repairs.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:28 PM

5,199 posts, read 11,341,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You get a warning about the weather - there is no warning about an earthquake. How can the weather bother you more?
One just has to experience both to understand and although I've never been in a tornado, the threats are often with severe thunderstorms. They're just plain scary.

I have a storm cellar and that helps. I wouldn't live here without one although I did for way too many years.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 18,222 times
There was a tornado which went through downtown a few years back, but as far as tornados downtown, not that often. yearly there are tornados in the area though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth