U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 PM

68 posts, read 123,126 times

Advertisements

Which do you think is better and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 11:21 AM

27,485 posts, read 44,973,761 times
OK--general perception--our son went to college at UNT and lived in Denton for several years doing his BA and MA so while we have not lived there, we have visited, eaten, shopped in that area--had some experience with hospital/medical related when he was sick...

Denton has UNT--a large university--which has +/- to it but it brings a stable souce of income into the economy that pretty much dwarfs other businesses like Sally's Beauty Supply which is headquarterd there last I saw...Denton has I 35 going through it and I believe it is county seat of Denton county--another money maker...
but Denton was kind of rusticly behind--pretty much an ag related type of town--lots of farm/ranch land out that way until recently when developers started buying it up for subdivisions--they only got Barnes and Noble 5 yrs ago and do not really have a mall per se that I am aware of--although there are strip malls with Target, Kohls, and the like...and there are malls close by with larger stores like Dillards/Macy's
lots of activity/building in Denton for couple of years until 2008--things slowed down somewhat becuase of economy in general...

Denton has some native trees still around and a rolling topography--not just flat land but I thought a lot of the town itself was old and dirty--lots of trash and litter around restaurants and in street gutters--traffic because of construction on I35 was in shambles for years but think that is finished now so maybe it is better--you can get to FTW downtown in about 45 min depending on traffic and getting into the north part of Dallas is easier because Dallas itself has spread north and west toward Denton via towns like Lewisville(20 min)/Frisco (45 min)

I think the schools in Denton are probably a little better/stronger than in Mansfield but neither one IMO are as good as some other metroplex ISDs

Mansfield--we have some friends who live there--one works with my husband--Mansfield also has lot of rural land and spread out subdivisons--no real defined down town--it is in Tarrant county so FTW is the county seat although there is adjuct court house in Mansfield

Mansfield has some local businesses, but it does not have anything the size of UNT driving its growth/budget--there are restaurants and stores--again some strip malls but the big mall is probably the Parks
the city tried to encourage the development with commercial projects but think some of them might be in trouble from articles in paper about slow progress...
the main hwy is 287 or the southern part of Hwy 360---not I35 --not so dynamic a growth chain--but there is plenty of traffic on 287 and that is how most people get into FTW if they work there and 360 is busy as well into Arlington and north to I20 (E/W) or DFW (183)...
Still lot of rural land around Mansfield --think there is more of a problem in some areas with flooding than in Denton area because of the general topography of the land and because the roads are just not as developed...
we considered buying some land in Mansfield area and building a home but buidling values change to much from neighborhood to neighborhood--zoning is problem--and we were worried about the road situation...never considered Denton because it is too far away from my husband's job..
Mansfield ISD was considered pretty up and coming about 15 yrs ago but think it has just not had leadership or infrastructure (tax base) to stay on leading edge...
you can check out number of high schools and the number of national merit scholarship winners and semi-finalists--
there is also lot of poverty in this area--lower socio-economic families--
of course Denton ISD has those students as well--they are probably pretty similar in %

IF you were working close to either one--so commute was not the issue--and you were new to the area with no ties/commitments
I would probably try to find something I liked in Denton first
but if I were working in FTW itself and wanted something that was more rural than a suburban neighborhood I might look in Aledo vs Mansfield--

Old 02-04-2010, 01:33 PM

135 posts, read 309,093 times
We live in Mansfield & have a student at UNT in Denton. I've only been in Denton a few times so can't really judge it by appearance although it is a college town. Lots of student apts. Mansfield has gotten a lot of new businesses, restaurants, etc. over the past few years. The Parks & Highlands are the best place to go shopping but they are only 15 - 20 minutes away. And pls. don't judge the 'Mansfield schools by their cover' or others' opinions.
It really depends on what your looking for. Such as, do you have young kids, kids in sports, looking to retire? Schools important? Family atmosphere? Churches? Weather? etc.
Any specific questions perhaps I can answer.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:03 AM

68 posts, read 123,126 times
Thanks to both of you

Motherhen, we are a mid-twenties family with a three year old. We enjoy going to the movies, and like having a variety of places to eat. We REALLY like Red Robin Our daughter and future kids will be homeschooled, possibly through highschool but we arent sure, so a nice highschool would be a plus. I want her to be able to take music lessons and gymnastics outside of the school, so those things would need to be accessible. We are Baptist. I really like active communities.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:18 PM

17 posts, read 49,843 times
STM,

We live in far SE Arlington right on the edge of Mansfield. We like it a lot. Mansfield has quite a few restaurants and there is a Red Robin nearby at the Arlington Highlands. We go to First Baptist Mansfield and we really love that church. There are several homeschool families there and many private school families as well. Our church does the Upward Sports program and it is a vibrant and growing church family. We average 900 or so in worship.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:03 PM

4,000 posts, read 6,925,267 times
Mansfield is a much better choice than Denton. You get all the amenities plus a more diverse population in Mansfield and surrounding areas. Denton is more of a college town.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:04 PM

54 posts, read 180,154 times
As a TWU student (graduating in May, woohoo), I have commuted from FW to Denton several times, but I grew up in Mansfield and my family still lives there. I personally like to feel "in the mix" of restaurants, shopping, museums, etc. In Denton, while TWU is a gorgeous campus, I feel very "detached" from the metroplex. I currently live in Saginaw, which is slightly detached, but I feel very much close enough to everything, and I really like FW side of DFW. I drive for 30 to 45 minutes up 35W and pass by very few things (Cabelo's, Alliance, TMS, ...... , UNT/TWU).

Mansfield has grown so much, and I would personally prefer to live there. Mansfield may seem "way south," but you are close enough to Arlington, DFW airport, Dallas, Fort Worth, even Cedar Hill,Waxahachie, Burleson....

I agree with the above statement that Denton does feel more like a College Town.

If you lived in Mansfield, you would have several Red Robin's within a half hour to hour drive.

You should just do some driving around, go in a few grocery stores, see how you feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth