U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:57 PM

394 posts, read 1,056,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapevineTxOnline View Post

Care to expand on the bolded?
How can anyone dislike Grapevine... aka the greatest city in the world?
Simply put? Traffic. Too busy for me in Grapevine. There is lots to see and do there, especially around the holidays. It's a great place to visit. We go to Grapevine when the relatives come up from Austin .

Also, when we looked at houses there, we figured we'd feel pressure to "fit in." Grapevine has a lot to offer. I'm afraid that I may be about 10 years too old to live there, though. I've transitioned to "country gentleman," no longer an "urban sophisticate ."

I didn't mean to slam. I know that Grapevine is well loved by those who live there - for a myriad of good reasons.

-Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 03:21 PM

27,455 posts, read 44,947,050 times
So have your done tours with realtors in both areas
gone into neighborhoods and looked at houses?
or are you just screening realtors prior to visit?

FWCD and Trinity Valley are good private schools that are not religious--know students from both who did well and are either in or finished with college--nice kids--only one parent is really, really wealthy...two others have working parents (one works for FAA and two other work for same company my husband does) but MANY students at FWCD come from old money and have grown up together on variety of different social levels...it might not be that much of discrepancy in early grades and don't know how many/if any scholarship students beyond athletes go there...

my son taught at Highland Park middle school for 4 yrs and was not enamored of his students--high mantenance, fairly disinterested in school, and helicopter parents-- some of that could be due to the jr high age group but his take was the kids already knew they were going to succeed because of who they were and he did not see a lot of motivation there...
Highland Park and Southlake Carroll are unique--they have a very restricted gene pool so to speak--that is not to say that they do a superior job of teaching--just that their students come better prepared and supported than many other larger, more varied districts...

Colleyville schools and Grapevine schools are in same district but Grapevine allows apartment construction and has lower priced residential housing than Colleyville--makes a big difference on zoning for schools...
as long as you are living in certain areas of Colleyville your children would not be zoned into a school also zoned for Grapevine...but that being said I think almost all schools in GCISD rate at exemplary or recognized--

any high school in Tarrant county except for Carroll is going to rate less than Exemplary...does not mean it is not a good school--Paschal HS in FTWISD has highest number of National Merit semi finalists for public schools in area--

and with the new way TEA allows schools to adjust their scores some high schools are seeing an improved rating that MAY not be justified...just depends...

you say that your children test G/T--different districts do different programs and frankly not all G/T are alike...some posters on the Dallas board are very supportive of G/T program in Garland as being the best in area--so it does vary...and some G/T programs I have seen are not that dedicated at really challenging students to excel--the G/T programs are more "artistic"
check out ISDs/schools with IB programs--that seems to be coming wave of academic excellence

The aura of the two areas is so different--because of its development Dallas is just more urban, busy, crowded, high-density
Fort Worth offers some of the same attributes that Dallas has--restaurants, shopping, fine arts--at a lower pace
BUT if you want a neighborhood that is walkable to botique shopping, restaurants, bars then Dallas is more your speed...
there is public transportation in Dallas that is head/shoulders above what is happening in FTW and no public transport in Southlake area if that is important aspect to your search

getting to downtown Dallas from Southlake will get more difficult because of the anticipated construction along 114 and 121 but there are ways to use surface streets if construction becomes too bad

Getting to DFW from Southlake is fairly easy now--will be more difficult with construction but not that bad...

frankly I think your income level unless it goes up significantly would make Southlake or Colleyville or some parts of Flower Mound, Fort Worth, Keller, Coppell, Park Cities and Dallas a better fit than Highland Park...
there are some very, very wealthy people in Highland Park...
not that 600K is shabby...and 1M is not a cheap house--
but right now in Southlake there are 95 homes in MLS over 750K--and probably half of those are over 1.5--
Colleyville is showing 65 over 750K--with more than half over 1M--
Highland Park has 98 homes over 750K--more than half of those are over 2M--

understand your (relative) scale of proportion--1M in Colleyville is upper, IM in Southlake is middle, 1M in Highland Park is lower part of the scale...

there are few homes in Westlake at 1M--right now there are 2 listed at 600K and 35 at 1M or over with 30 being over--it is smaller area--and while the two main developments are beautiful--features like shopping are not that convenient--but in Vaquero--every family has its own consierge to take care of things like cleaning drop off if your maid can't do it
Westlake academy is pretty well regarded now for a new school but it has no "legs" to back up performance and lot of bloodletting (symbolically) with changes in admin at the school lately...
other parts of Vaquero are in Keller ISD and frankly most people who live in homes costing 1M+ get good schools...
many professional golfers and the Jonas brothers live in Westlake--lots of very wealthy people there as well who work in Dallas/own businesses in Dallas so they go back and forth...

the one thing I would say is that driving east in morning and west in evening is really a KILLER commute--our sun shines a lot...
the only way to decide is just to come here and spend some time
If you have the flexible work situation you describe come and stay for couple of weeks and spend time in both areas
I find that in Dallas it is hard to see the horizon but easier to do in Tarrant county (depending on where you are)
personally I NEED to see the horizon without being fenced in with lots of buildings or feel claustrophobic

I am used to driving where I need to go vs taking bus or walking--so it does not bother me..

Old 02-02-2010, 03:26 PM

PS--Grapevine used to be a great town--now it considers itself a "destination" and the city council and developers are hell-bent on making it the destination to beat all destinations...
it is a traffic hub--and the traffic hours are lengthening...
it has given up what made it special for what is making it "promotable"
not that people in Grapevine don't love their town and not that Grapevine is a bad place to live--
but it is changing and not always for the better...

Hwy 26 runs through the "urban" heart of Colleyville such as it is--not a lot to see since Colleyville until say 8-10 yrs ago really had no "downtown" just conglomeration of small businesses
two main shopping areas are the City Center and the strip mall with the Cinema and MarketStreet grocery store
Colleyville is much more residential than Southlake or Grapevine

Old 02-02-2010, 05:02 PM

13,180 posts, read 12,689,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
I'm partial to Tarrant County and the relative ease of getting to and from DFW airport from the NE side of the county. I have a strong preference for Colleyville, because I like having the option of taking local streets to the office (in N. Arlington). I also ave a strong dislike for Grapevine which shares a school district w/ Colleyville - I guess that makes it a wash . I must say, however, with that income... I'm not sure what decision I'd make. That kind of money will go a long long way in the DFW area. All things considered, Southlake is probably the most sound bet in my neck of the woods. Don't know much of anything about Dallas County.

Either way, y'all are out of my ballpark . So take my opinions with a generic brand grain of salt.

-Eric
What is there not to like about Grapevine? It's the only city for miles with any character. I'd think your in the minority on that one.

* Disregard...I see you dont like the traffic....IMO Southlake and the Park Cities have the same traffic issues...even worse...Mockingbird comes to mind.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:19 PM

9,505 posts, read 19,506,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapevineTxOnline View Post

Care to expand on the bolded?
How can anyone dislike Grapevine... aka the greatest city in the world?
I was thinking the exact same thing!!

Old 02-02-2010, 05:29 PM

9,505 posts, read 19,506,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
PS--Grapevine used to be a great town--now it considers itself a "destination" and the city council and developers are hell-bent on making it the destination to beat all destinations...
Speaking for a dear friend who is on the City Council, you are WRONG. Grapevine is HUGE about historic preservation, and the city council and planners totally support this. You will not find a mayor who supports preservation more than William D. Tate!! If a developer attempts to get a permit to tear down a historic structure, they will get a personal visit form the mayor! Our wonderful annual Grapefest fall festival benefits the Grapevine Historical Society! Our Nash Farm park will soon be listed on the National Register of Historic Places thanks to these folks' efforts.

The city council and planners do recognize the importance of keeping sales tax revenue up, so that is why they have added all of the destination things, like Grapevine Mills, Gaylord Texan, etc. You will not find another town of 50k people with such an awesome library, parks, well-maintained streets, etc. We, the residents, benefit from the development!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 PM

I did not say anything about Grapevine not being proud of its historical past--either on the citizens' or the town council's or probably some of the developers' part--but let's face it--that is part of the merchandising of the town and they are smart enough to know it...I give everyone connected with that aspect full kudos..
I just hope they can keep it in balance -- it is a difficult juggling match...
when you stress a town's ability to serve its citizens because it has lots of temporary residents/visitors drawing down its resources or causing traffic jams or running up property costs with commercial development--that causes problems for everyone

Arlington right now seems to be benefitting from Cowboy Stadium and many people are not as critical about the tax situation or the traffic snafus because of the hotel/restaurant/other spending coming into the area...but the new can wear off fairly quickly as people become jaded--and if the Cowboys can't put together some strong seasons I don't know if too many people are going to return for subsequent visits...their best bet is to hope that Jerry continues to market the heck out of his stadium and makes it a year round business--which he is trying to do...

Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM

319 posts, read 580,338 times
Quote:
So have your done tours with realtors in both areas
gone into neighborhoods and looked at houses?
or are you just screening realtors prior to visit?

FWCD and Trinity Valley are good private schools that are not religious--know students from both who did well and are either in or finished with college--nice kids--only one parent is really, really wealthy...two others have working parents (one works for FAA and two other work for same company my husband does) but MANY students at FWCD come from old money and have grown up together on variety of different social levels...it might not be that much of discrepancy in early grades and don't know how many/if any scholarship students beyond athletes go there...

my son taught at Highland Park middle school for 4 yrs and was not enamored of his students--high mantenance, fairly disinterested in school, and helicopter parents-- some of that could be due to the jr high age group but his take was the kids already knew they were going to succeed because of who they were and he did not see a lot of motivation there...
Highland Park and Southlake Carroll are unique--they have a very restricted gene pool so to speak--that is not to say that they do a superior job of teaching--just that their students come better prepared and supported than many other larger, more varied districts...

Colleyville schools and Grapevine schools are in same district but Grapevine allows apartment construction and has lower priced residential housing than Colleyville--makes a big difference on zoning for schools...
as long as you are living in certain areas of Colleyville your children would not be zoned into a school also zoned for Grapevine...but that being said I think almost all schools in GCISD rate at exemplary or recognized--

any high school in Tarrant county except for Carroll is going to rate less than Exemplary...does not mean it is not a good school--Paschal HS in FTWISD has highest number of National Merit semi finalists for public schools in area--

and with the new way TEA allows schools to adjust their scores some high schools are seeing an improved rating that MAY not be justified...just depends...

you say that your children test G/T--different districts do different programs and frankly not all G/T are alike...some posters on the Dallas board are very supportive of G/T program in Garland as being the best in area--so it does vary...and some G/T programs I have seen are not that dedicated at really challenging students to excel--the G/T programs are more "artistic"
check out ISDs/schools with IB programs--that seems to be coming wave of academic excellence

The aura of the two areas is so different--because of its development Dallas is just more urban, busy, crowded, high-density
Fort Worth offers some of the same attributes that Dallas has--restaurants, shopping, fine arts--at a lower pace
BUT if you want a neighborhood that is walkable to botique shopping, restaurants, bars then Dallas is more your speed...
there is public transportation in Dallas that is head/shoulders above what is happening in FTW and no public transport in Southlake area if that is important aspect to your search

getting to downtown Dallas from Southlake will get more difficult because of the anticipated construction along 114 and 121 but there are ways to use surface streets if construction becomes too bad

Getting to DFW from Southlake is fairly easy now--will be more difficult with construction but not that bad...

frankly I think your income level unless it goes up significantly would make Southlake or Colleyville or some parts of Flower Mound, Fort Worth, Keller, Coppell, Park Cities and Dallas a better fit than Highland Park...
there are some very, very wealthy people in Highland Park...
not that 600K is shabby...and 1M is not a cheap house--
but right now in Southlake there are 95 homes in MLS over 750K--and probably half of those are over 1.5--
Colleyville is showing 65 over 750K--with more than half over 1M--
Highland Park has 98 homes over 750K--more than half of those are over 2M--

understand your (relative) scale of proportion--1M in Colleyville is upper, IM in Southlake is middle, 1M in Highland Park is lower part of the scale...

there are few homes in Westlake at 1M--right now there are 2 listed at 600K and 35 at 1M or over with 30 being over--it is smaller area--and while the two main developments are beautiful--features like shopping are not that convenient--but in Vaquero--every family has its own consierge to take care of things like cleaning drop off if your maid can't do it
Westlake academy is pretty well regarded now for a new school but it has no "legs" to back up performance and lot of bloodletting (symbolically) with changes in admin at the school lately...
other parts of Vaquero are in Keller ISD and frankly most people who live in homes costing 1M+ get good schools...
many professional golfers and the Jonas brothers live in Westlake--lots of very wealthy people there as well who work in Dallas/own businesses in Dallas so they go back and forth...

the one thing I would say is that driving east in morning and west in evening is really a KILLER commute--our sun shines a lot...
the only way to decide is just to come here and spend some time
If you have the flexible work situation you describe come and stay for couple of weeks and spend time in both areas
I find that in Dallas it is hard to see the horizon but easier to do in Tarrant county (depending on where you are)
personally I NEED to see the horizon without being fenced in with lots of buildings or feel claustrophobic

I am used to driving where I need to go vs taking bus or walking--so it does not bother me..
This is by far the most helpful post that we have seen. Thank you for putting so much time in writing it. One of our strongest hypotheses was that our income and house budget is actually on the low end of Park Cities. Its one of things we were trying to test out with this posting.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:13 PM

119 posts, read 184,055 times
Quote:
FWCD and Trinity Valley are good private schools that are not religious
Great overall post, but I disagree with the above. On Trinity Valley's website, they state that they're open and welcoming to all religions, but does not tolerate a lack of religion. So, Trinity valley is definitely religious, but non-denominational.

Last edited by lunebloc; 02-03-2010 at 12:22 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 01:02 PM

Glad that my view of the areas was helpful--
sorry that I missed that about Trinity Valley--know only one boy who graduated from there and they are definitely not religious--so guess he faked it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth