U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:52 PM

319 posts, read 580,338 times

Advertisements

We would like to use the anonymous nature of this cite to share some otherwise personal information and get opinions. We have spoken to a variety of realtors, and each has a little something different to say...and pretty much in alignment with what they are trying to sell. We are counting on your objectivity!

We will be relocating to the DFW area soon. We are in our mid-30s with two small children. We are trying to decide between public schools (we hear Highland Park is the "best", but also heard that Southlake is very good?) and private schools (Independent, we dont belong to a particular religion, etc.). Our kids test as G/T and are elementary age.

Our annual household income is approx. $600k. We dont expect that to go down over time, hopefully up, but I guess anything is possible. We dont have any trust funds,etc. as a safety net, although we do have a fair amount of longterm savings. We have no debt. We prefer to stay at $1mm or less on our home price. If we decided to go with private schools, that might impact how much we decide to spend on the house vs. going with public schools.

We are a one income household, with no specific commute requirements. Access to the DFW airport for monthly travel, some trips downtown, but also a fair amount of work from home. So, not sure that anything too west of the Southlake/Colleyville/Keller area would work, because we would need occasional access to downtown Dallas.

Two questions -

1) with our profile/income, if you were us, where would you look to live?
2) which schools would you choose for the best possible academically challenging environment?

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 01:12 AM

13,180 posts, read 12,689,915 times
I live in Southlake and if I had that income I would live in Highland Park. More atmosphere and things to do nearby. About Southlake Schools..... The Elementary my kids go to rates equal to or higher than Highland Park Elementary Schools in commended rates. I was really suprised to find this. If the size of your house is important, 1 Mil will go alot farther in Southlake. I do think Southlake could see more long term appreciation than the Park cities.

I don't consider any private school near Southlake a better choice. Most have an evangelical influence and/or small sized.. The same for Highland Park schools with the exception for St. Marks for boys and Hockaday for girls.

Last edited by padcrasher; 02-02-2010 at 01:25 AM..

Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 AM

394 posts, read 1,056,084 times
I'm partial to Tarrant County and the relative ease of getting to and from DFW airport from the NE side of the county. I have a strong preference for Colleyville, because I like having the option of taking local streets to the office (in N. Arlington). I also ave a strong dislike for Grapevine which shares a school district w/ Colleyville - I guess that makes it a wash . I must say, however, with that income... I'm not sure what decision I'd make. That kind of money will go a long long way in the DFW area. All things considered, Southlake is probably the most sound bet in my neck of the woods. Don't know much of anything about Dallas County.

Either way, y'all are out of my ballpark . So take my opinions with a generic brand grain of salt.

-Eric

Old 02-02-2010, 07:09 AM

2,232 posts, read 3,501,801 times
The short answer?

Highland Park: Old money and more of it. Much more urban. Dallas is at your doorstep. Most of the top cultural and shopping destinations in Dallas are close.

Southlake: New money. Much more suburban. Not a lot there except for strip malls although some are very fancy strip malls. Even the Southlake Town Center is somewhat artificial. Like they made a fake downtown main street in the middle of a cornfield.

As for the schools. The public schools are comparable. Highland Park is a slightly smaller district (4A vs 5A high school so it will be a somewhat more intimate setting. Elementary schools are probably similar. As for private schools, you have many more choices within reasonable drive of Highland Park than you would out in the burbs at Southlake.

Don't underestimate how far away Southlake is from Dallas. traffic can be horrendous. If you live in Southlake you'll not be popping into Dallas for dining and shopping unless you want to fight 45 minutes of traffic.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:57 AM

54 posts, read 125,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
I'm partial to Tarrant County and the relative ease of getting to and from DFW airport from the NE side of the county. I have a strong preference for Colleyville, because I like having the option of taking local streets to the office (in N. Arlington). I also ave a strong dislike for Grapevine which shares a school district w/ Colleyville - I guess that makes it a wash . I must say, however, with that income... I'm not sure what decision I'd make. That kind of money will go a long long way in the DFW area. All things considered, Southlake is probably the most sound bet in my neck of the woods. Don't know much of anything about Dallas County.

Either way, y'all are out of my ballpark . So take my opinions with a generic brand grain of salt.

-Eric

Care to expand on the bolded?
How can anyone dislike Grapevine... aka the greatest city in the world?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:01 AM

54 posts, read 125,878 times
I think the decision really comes down to do you want to live in the city near downtown or do you prefer the suburbs?

I can tell you that I would choose the suburbs and live in Southlake. This was said earlier, but you can get more house there.

Pros for Southlake:
Access to DFW is great.
Access to downtown is not that great... in fact it pretty bad if you are heading there in rush hour.
Public schools are probably very similar in quality and should not make a difference in your choice.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapevineTxOnline View Post

Care to expand on the bolded?
How can anyone dislike Grapevine... aka the greatest city in the world?
Yes...Grapevine is pretty cool and has a great little downtown and some great parks.

What is the center of Colleyville? Does it have a downtown with shops and restaurants? I'm asking because I'm curious and have never explored Colleyville. Which street or intersection do I drive down so that I can say I've seen Colleyville?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,444,773 times
What about Westlake?
it boarders southlake and has some of the prettiest land in this area. Avg home is 1mil. Schools can depend on where you live for public schools either Carroll ISD, Keller ISD and even(I believe) Northwest ISD.
BUT... there is the Westlake Academy there. Its a public charter school(k-12) but pretty exclusive to Westlake Residents. I would say the majority of Residents send thier kids to the Academy.

HP is a great area and the Town is very neat. So yes If I had a MIL to spend I would choose HP. But I don't need a big new house either. School are TOP and smaller student population (to me a BIG plus)

Colleyville would be another option some very nice neighobrhoods and like Southlake you will get more for your money in terms of size and newness etc...
Schools for GVCV ISD aren't rated as high as Carroll ISD esp in Middle school.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:12 PM

119 posts, read 184,055 times
I can only offer a suggestion for part 2 of your question. Fort Worth Country Day is an excellent school with no religious affiliation. It's located in southwest Fort Worth - almost in Benbrook. I believe the school runs a bus to Colleyville/Southlake since so many kids from that area attend school at FWCD.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:40 PM

Heck, if I was going to send my kids to FWCD I'd just buy a house in the Tanglewood neighborhood of Fort Worth instead of busing them 25 miles and an hour each way from Southlake to the FWCD in southwest Fort Worth.

There's also the Trinity Valley school in southern Fort Worth that is excellent. I'm less familiar with private schools in Dallas but I've no doubt there are plenty of them considering the wealth in Dallas and the state of the public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth