U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:07 PM

55 posts, read 127,808 times

Advertisements

I'd like to take a family vacation in April (before baby 2 is born!). I need somewhere no more than 2 hours drive (max!) from downtown Fort Worth. Ideally a lake house in a nice town where we can walk to shops and walk to a lake (we don't have to be on the lake). Would like to swim and fish with my 2 year old. Somewhere quiet. Any suggestions? We are very new to the area and not sure what lies outside Fort Worth! : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 07:47 AM

27,453 posts, read 44,947,050 times
you can check a map--there are several lakes around FTW but you are not going to be swimming in April in any of them--
if you want something that is kind of picturesque then Granbury is probably your best best--
there is fishing there and you can check VRBO--people have vacation homes and b/b listed there

further south you have the Highland Lakes region--
Texas Highland Lakes Tourist Information - The Highland Lakes region includes Marble Falls, Burnet, Llano, Kingsland, Spicewood, Horseshoe Bay, and other Texas Hill Country towns near Lake Buchanan, Lake LBJ, Inks Lake, Lake Marble Falls and the Llan (http://www.lakesandhills.com/index_feb.htm - broken link)
there is link to Happenings/calendar of events--Marble Falls is having something that might be fun
variety of accomodations there
that would be about as far as your 2 hr limit would take you--some might be outside the 2 hrs..

Cedar Creek has lots of vacation rentals but the area does not really have what you would call a "quaint" downtown...

Grapevine has a nice downtown and Lake Grapevine has good fishing from what I hear but don't think you would find play to stay right on the lake unless you used the Gaylord but you could stay at the Wolf Lodge and you can even go into the water park--

there is always Lakehouse.com where you can search by miles from a zip code--and it does rentals as well as homes/lots for sale...

Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 AM

1,064 posts, read 3,021,770 times
Have you thought about Glen Rose? There isn't really a lake close by except Lake Granbury and Squaw Creek Reservoir but there is the Paluxy River where your son could play and you can go fishing. It is quite, has a quaint downtown and isn't too far from Fort Worth.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:44 AM

3,084 posts, read 6,464,939 times
Not a lake, but you might enjoy Barton Springs in Austin....google it and see if you are interested

Old 02-03-2010, 10:51 AM

2,232 posts, read 3,501,801 times
There are cabins and resorts all around Lake Whitney. Google is your friend.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 PM

just a caution about Barton Springs--
we went there several summers ago when it was deathly hot and there were plenty of people swimming--families, teens, older people...
we saw a very creepy guy taking videos of young--say around 12-15 yr old girls as they climbed out of the water and jumped back in..
had his video camera covered with a shirt and would only use it for just those moments--
he was also watching to see if people were watching him...

my husband stayed there and I went to the ticket office to tell a supervisor there was a pervert on site--LEGALLY people cannot take video of you without your knowledge and permission...
He was outside the chain link fence so he did not have to pay for admission but he was on Barton Springs pool property...

The college boy who was in charge said basically there was nothing they could do--if they called the police he would likely be gone by time police got there--I said why don't you just go accost him and ask him what he is going--scare him away--
he did not want to do that...but said that this situation was not unique, that it happened pretty frequently...
Frankly I would never recommend anyone go to Barton Springs if the city does not provide better protection for swimmers...
photos of those girls could be posted on some smarmy website for guys to drool over...ugh!

When he saw me go to the office, he knew he was spotted---he took his camera and stuff and started walking into the parking lot--my husband followed at distance to see if he would leave or wait or what...
when I told my husband that the office guy was not going to do anything...we decided to leave ourselves and we saw him walking back into the picnic area...

and just remember April in TX is not the friendliest month to do something outside==we often have late Northerns that blow in and once had snow...check the average temps for whever you plan to go for April and see what might be going on...
and from my experience--a two-year old has only so much patience for fishing--so make sure there are other things to do...

Old 02-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Oh good grief....seriously?
First, that is certainly not something specific to Barton Springs.
Second, it is NOT illegal to video people in public places.
Third, while it's smart to be aware, being paranoid is unnecessary.
Fourth, your experience is one out of thousands and thousands of people there, and only one.
Fifth, you found something to be potentially abusive and didn't call the police yourself and that shows it wasn't a clear and decided offense.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:45 AM

you can put the blame on me all you want--but we have been to other public locations where there are public crowds and not seen anything like this in our time in TX--
the situation lent itself to salatious filming--
would you have wanted that guy taking video of YOUR 14 yr old daughter in that situation...
that is a public place and if a dad or other person WITH a group had been taking videos of what was going on--no problem (and you know it)
what he was doing was obviously on the shady side because he only wanted particular shots--when the girls were at their most revealing...
IF we had paid to get inside and walked over to tell the parents what he was doing, how do you think they would have reacted...

Photography or Video Taping Consent - Lawyers.com

http://communications-media.lawyers....in-Public.html

notice that those postings are related to legitimate photography--not suggesting how people can subvert the law's broad protection of use of public areas to protect doing something for borderline purpose...

making a citizens' arrest in situation like that is not the way to proceed because you are right--the law is probably very nuanced in this case and if we had done something like that--and he had not resisted but still the police did not take him in or prosecute--he could have sued us in civil court--
BUT
the Barton Springs supervisors SHOULD have just sent someone out to see what the guy was doing--once he knew he was being watched, he left...
THEY are the ones who said that happened with some frequency there--NOT ME...
IF they know they have that problem then apparently they can get the property posted and not allow any videotaping outside the free public area...which would probably keep most people like that from showing up...

even though that is a public area I think most people who go there go with the expectation they will be viewed by the public in an innocuous manner--not used in someone's fantasies...

Old 02-05-2010, 07:58 AM

The problem with your thinking is that it is short sighted and limited to one experience.

I do have young children and I see cameras all over the place taking pictures/videos, so it certainly is not limited to Barton Springs. I see it at the park, at NRH20, the sprayground in Haltom City, McDonald's play places, my son's baseball games, the play area at the mall and so on.

Sometimes they are obviously connected to a group or child and other times they are not. When I see something that doesn't seem right, I continue to watch that person and even have taken a picture of them myself. Every single time they've ended up belonging with those they are videoing/taking pics of. However, if they hadn't you can be assured that I would have had a picture of THEM to show the police when they arrived after I called them.

If you see something illegal, then it is your obligation to contact the police. (not make a citizens arrest and that came from your thoughts not from anything I posted)

If you see someone that you think is videoing children with malicious intent, then it is mandated that you report it to the police. All teachers are mandated reporters, even retired.

The whole point is that one experience and the comments of a college student do not mean the place is a vile place full of perverts and should not be portrayed as such. Especially if the very thing you witnessed wasn't important enough to you that you contacted the police.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:41 PM

55 posts, read 127,808 times
Thanks for all of the ideas. I was thinking it would be pretty warm by April but perhaps I need to think of more of a resort where there is an indoor pool so we can be inside if needed? Sorry - I know I am all over the place. Just want to take a family vacation within driving distance (won't want to fly that late in the pregnancy). Hmmm....will research everything above and do some more googling. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth