Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 07:52 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,181 times

Advertisements

It seems so crazy to me that there is no public transportation here. Why have the people of Arlington not voted for some kind of minimum bus service?

Seems really weird to me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 12:54 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
because frankly the people who vote in Arlington are not the ones who would be using the bus service...
the city fathers have proposed some form of public transportation in the past but voters have not seen the need to raise taxes to approve the creation
public transport should have begun decades ago and back then Arlington was a fairly rural farming community--

Old 02-12-2010, 01:54 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
Arlington is a MESS to get around in. I find it more of a hassle than just about any other part of the metroplex, and I travel all over it. I avoid it like the plague because of the traffic. Even Arlington's side streets are constantly congested - there's no getting away from it wherever you go in Arlington.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:04 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Arlington is a MESS to get around in. I find it more of a hassle than just about any other part of the metroplex, and I travel all over it. I avoid it like the plague because of the traffic. Even Arlington's side streets are constantly congested - there's no getting away from it wherever you go in Arlington.
Arlington need to get on board with the Fort Worth Transportation Authority to get some light rail running through East Fort Worth into Arlington.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:52 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,181 times
The federal government is providing small cities (like Arlington) stimulus money for public transportation and according to the City they cannot get the funding unless they come up with a PLAN. Even if it was limited service on the main thoroughfares ( like Pioneer Pkwy, Cooper, Green Oaks, Collins) I could see how it would help lots of people! Lite Rail to connect with Ft Worth of course would be excellent (but I am dreaming there!)

I think the Vandergriff hold is too strong here and they have had a tremendous hold on Arlington so they can sell more cars-

Old 02-13-2010, 07:59 AM

Arlington is a suburban residential area for the most part--
not an URBAN residential area--it is so much more difficult to have a plan that really works for situations like that
people in arlington need a bus service that feeds lower income areas with the service areas--like the hotels/restaurants around the new stadium--
or even to UTA which is a HUGH commuter school with pretty substandard housing close to it..
but the city has mainly been interested in feeding suburban voters into their Dallas or FTW higher paying jobs...
Arlington did not even get with the T-rail into FTW/Dallas...by having a station at the north arlington border on 157--
the culture of the town (and TX) is tied to personal transportation--people don't want to give up their cars--and when you see a 6 person household and 5 cars parked outside that pretty much sums it up...
you have to change the culture first--and there is nothing going on with that attempt...

Old 02-13-2010, 07:11 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
not an URBAN residential area--it is so much more difficult to have a plan that really works for situations like that
people in arlington need a bus service that feeds lower income areas with the service areas--like the hotels/restaurants around the new stadium--
or even to UTA which is a HUGH commuter school with pretty substandard housing close to it..
but the city has mainly been interested in feeding suburban voters into their Dallas or FTW higher paying jobs...
Arlington did not even get with the T-rail into FTW/Dallas...by having a station at the north arlington border on 157--
the culture of the town (and TX) is tied to personal transportation--people don't want to give up their cars--and when you see a 6 person household and 5 cars parked outside that pretty much sums it up...
you have to change the culture first--and there is nothing going on with that attempt...
Hard to read. Please try to put some breaks in between sentences. I got a headache just attempting to read this.

It appears to be a cut and paste from another website anyway.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:23 PM

I don't need to cut and paste what I write---

not an URBAN residential area--

it is so much more difficult to have a plan that really works for situations like that

the culture of the town (and TX) is tied to personal transportation--
people don't want to give up their cars--
and when you see a 6 person household and 5 cars parked outside that pretty much sums it up...

--so does that help your headache--

AND I bet the federal funds come with proviso for matching funding from the city...
that would probably take a bond election--voters won't go for it IMO

Old 02-18-2010, 12:35 AM

17 posts, read 57,483 times
Arlington is a commuter city. I've lived here all my life and I would be shocked if public trans ever passed a city-wide election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth