U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 11:25 AM

27,611 posts, read 45,155,717 times

Advertisements

just noticed (stupid me) that the bldg going up on corner of Harwood and Precinct Line in Hurst--across from the Walmart sort of--is an Aldi

try to not drive on Precinct Line with the construction and have not really been paying attention to the ads in the paper for applying for work there..
this will make that intersection even more unweildy but guess people will shop there to see how it is--at least initially...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 11:58 AM

1,379 posts, read 5,821,702 times
Yep there are three more that I have noticed going up in the area: Saginaw, Watauga and over by Carswell.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:21 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,105,244 times
I was driving through there the other day and saw that. A good addition to an already nice area.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,483,809 times
I saw that on Tuesday too

Old 02-11-2010, 01:08 PM

frankly--some of their provisos make me think they won't go over too well in my specific area...
you have to bring your own bags or pay for theirs when you check out
no credit or checks--only cash or debit--we have quite a few older/retired seniors in my area--I see them checking out at Kroger and Tom Thumb and WalMart--they like checks and they don't bring bags...and they don't want to sack their own...

frankly I don't want to sack my own either--and I like to pay with my credit card and then pay that at the end of the month and get my air miles...
so I don't think I am going to be shopping there...

Old 02-11-2010, 01:34 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,483,809 times
I have several friends who live in areas where Aldi's has been around for years. So I've asked them about the store and some love it and others don't. Some go there along with a couple of other places for their groceries.

The whole idea of Aldi's is to be a discount grocery store, with many aspects similar to Food Lion, Sack N Save, Sam's and Costco.

They do have grocery bags, they just charge for them (something which California is considering implementing statewide) and they suggest bringing your own to save you money and to be more 'green'.
That's not a major deal in general.

My mom loved shopping at Sack N Save and bagging her own groceries because then she was assured nothing got smashed or broken. So to many people that's not a big deal. I'm just so-so about that.

There are many places that only take cash or debit. 99 cent store and CiCi's come to mind. While I agree that many elderly prefer writing checks, I've also seen many using debit cards. I was just in that Walmart on Precinct Tuesday and had the most charming elderly couple in front of me and they used a debit card. Then again, I'm not sure Aldi's is looking at that group as their target group.

A couple of things you didn't mention are the cart system and the brands they carry. Their carts are hooked in a system that you have to put in a quarter to get one out, much like strollers in malls and such. When you return the cart, you get your quarter back. I really like that idea as it should keep many of the carts out of the parking lot causing damage. I'm sure there will be some who won't think it's worth it to put it back just for a quarter.

The thing that's the biggest concern of mine is they cary very little name brand items. I'm not sure I'm willing to go through the process of trying their brands to see if they are worth the savings that they are supposed to bring. Some of my friends say the savings are substantial, but I've heard that said about other places and they were not.

I'll go at least once and we'll see if it's worth it. It's close, but not as close as where I usually shop, so it would have to really be worth it to get me there often.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:51 PM

18 posts, read 63,661 times
They are also opening one up in Arlington at the corner or Park Row and Bowen. This is near UT Arlington, so they will get a lot of students. During my undergrad in Iowa, I was able to live off of $12/week on Aldi foods. I know, crazy, but hey, I was young and very cheap.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:44 AM

6 posts, read 10,637 times
Thats the place where you have to PAY to use a buggy! LMAO...good luck with that.

Edit...I see you get your money back when you return the cart. ok, that'll work.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:42 AM

just like at some airport kiosks

but I think while this store's setup might work great in some parts of the Metroplex it is not going to be a hit around here--especially just across the street from WalMart...

I don't know that all the inconveniences will result in that much of a savings...

Old 02-18-2010, 01:28 AM

17 posts, read 49,957 times
An Aldi is going up by the Kroger in Mansfield. Doesn't look that great, just an oversized Walgreens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth