U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 15,102 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently relocated from the midwest to Fort Worth for work at Lockheed. We were in a hurry to find a place to live, our leasing agent was no help at all, and we found what we thought was a perfect place in Lake Worth to rent. Luckily we fought for a 6 month lease instead of a 12 month lease because after only living in the house for a month and a half we were burglarized, tons of our stuff was stolen, and our house was ransacked. NOT A GREAT WELCOME TO TEXAS! Not to worry, we are not letting one creep sour our opinion of the entire state.

We are trying to be more selective this time when looking for rental houses, but our lease is up in a month and we still can't find an area we feel safe in. The reason we need a house is due to our outside dogs. My wife and I will be welcoming our first child shortly so safety is #1. I regularly travel for work so I need the piece of mind knowing my family will be safe at home.

We have had a lot of interest in Aledo, but I keep hearing mixed opinions. I would like to hear some opinions/experiences with that area.

Also is north Fort Worth safer than south Fort Worth?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 10:15 PM

8,372 posts, read 8,440,546 times
Depends on budget and what you want in a neighborhood

Suburban
West Fort Worth
Benbrook
Chapel Creek (far west off I30)
Hulen / Bryant Irvin area
North FW, but its a bit of a commute to Lockheed
Urban
The older neighborhoods around TCU/Arlington Heights/Fairmount/Rivercrest/Tanglewood are all great
Rural/small town
Aledo
Weatherford
Granbury

the outer ring west of Benbrook toward Granbury, lots of 'acre lot' communities

Old 02-17-2010, 07:34 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,443,565 times
I have only heard positive things about Aledo. The schools have a very good reputation.
We almost moved there, but the commute for my husband would have been a bit far.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:38 AM

1,064 posts, read 3,021,094 times
Apparently there aren't alot of native Texans anymore.

I am sorry that Lake Worth has not been the best welcome for you. That is disappointing. If what happened to you, it doesn't seem that Lake Worth has changed for the better in the past 15-20 years. I agree with slo1318. North of FW is going to be a haul to Lockheed. I have several friends that work at Lockheed but they do not have children and live near Camp Bowie/I-30 area. It depends on how far your husband is willing to commute and whether you want to live in a more rural/acreage area. I haven't heard anything bad about Aledo. I don't know much about them anymore except they were highschool rivals about 15-20 years ago and the schools were good education wise.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:15 PM

33 posts, read 120,627 times
Hope things get better for you I happen to live not to far from one lokckhead location near 107 I believe.You should look into Keller area Fossil Ridge,Colleyville,Grapevine,Southlake.be good.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:26 PM

1,379 posts, read 5,811,166 times
I have a friend that works at Lockheed and he lives in North Fort Worth on the edge of Saginaw. His commute is fairly equivalent to what you would find at Lake Worth. So sorry for your experience. I also have no heard anything bad about Aledo.

Just depends on how much you want to spend, but driving around and looking at different areas that you like and checking the Fort Worth or city police website, should give you an idea of the crime activity in the area. They do crime mapping for the City of Fort Worth, as well as Tarrant County. So that can help you as well. Also if you have more of a specific area, post again here and everyone is more than helpful.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:57 PM

4,000 posts, read 6,921,341 times
Check out the Mansfield area. Its a pretty safe town. Not a bad commute off 20.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:02 PM

9,504 posts, read 19,501,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsonny View Post
Hope things get better for you I happen to live not to far from one lokckhead location near 107 I believe.You should look into Keller area Fossil Ridge,Colleyville,Grapevine,Southlake.be good.
These areas are very safe, but they are a LONG way from Lockheed. From Grapevine, it is at least a 45-minute commute.

Look at the Alliance area just east of I-35. Saginaw is also a popular area with young families.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:37 AM

27,442 posts, read 44,934,740 times
Aledo probably has lower crime rate than inside the loop in FTW but there are issues with living there just like any place

for one thing--traffic coming in to FTW--either the west side or into downtown has gotten worse over the past 5 yrs and since there are still people moving out there and working in FTW it will continue to get more crowded...there is not a lot of shopping out there and lot of home construction is really outside "town" so you have to drive 15 min or more just to get to something like grocery store

there is no large mall there--the closest Target store for example is inside the loop at Ridgemar Mall area in FTW, the closest Kohl's is in Benbrook--

we know couple of families who live in that area who work with my husband--both of them had concerns with the schools (their children range from elementary to high school)--
one of them put their sons in private church schools until they realized the classes the boys were taking were not certified for credit with the state...and moved them back to public school--
one boy/different family had sever drug problem that he was able to get away with when he was in school--(and that is not something specific to Aledo--it can happen in any school anywhere now a days) but it just shows that schools in Aledo are not immune from problems of schools in larger, more urban districts...and frankly I think the quality of education is better in those districts than Aledo...

know someone who works for Lockheed and they lived in colleyville -- right off Hwy 26 and Brown Trail--they moved recently for larger home--not sure where--but they made the drive--

I think my current area of Hurst is a safe place as well as my older neighborhood in Bedford but there are burglaries and car breakins that happen from time to time in both areas--especially in past year--
no place is prefectly safe

you did not mention budget concerns--that obviously makes a difference in where you can look--
some areas do not offer much in the way of rental properties although the slow RE market has had some people turn their homes into rentals if they could not sell

is your wife also expecting to work?
if she is going to be staying at home she should be in area that offers her opportunities to meet people and do things during the day--a local Y for workout opportunities, shopping, maybe other groups like newcomers' club

PS--you say "frequently travel for work"--does that mean driving in Metroplex, out of town, flying out of DFW--gone for a week at a time at least once a month?
how often you do that and where you go would also be a factor in where you might choose to live...

also your wife is expecting a child--I know that the Baylor hospital in Grapevine gets pretty good reviews from women I know who have had children lately--but that depends on who your OBGYN is --
does she have a recommendation for someone in the area?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:10 AM

150 posts, read 338,338 times
We've been in Saginaw for 2yrs now and really love it. We are native Texans, have family all over the DFW area, but Saginaw felt like home to us during our home search. I'm sure with you being in Lake Worth, you've been to Saginaw and have probably checked out the rentals here We are very happy with our decision to move here and haven't had any problems at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or