U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:35 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,446,196 times

Advertisements

^
AGREE!! If you buy in Heritage (a much better commute yes, and newer home for the money) Then make sure you are the CENTRAL HS zone.
The new School IS beautiful and like Byron Nelson has all the technology for 2010 etc... but this is it's first year and given the area it's located in only time will tell how it will fare. SO I would say if it is between Byron Nelson or Timber Creek (both new) I'd Choose Byron Nelson.

Central is a good solid school and much newer (and Nicer lol) than Keller High. The Admin at Central are very good. The Theater program is tops and the film program is also superior. The scores will get a boost now that a big section of south Keller now attends Central.

As far a where the Graduates attend college... I know there was a thread either in this forum or the Dallas one that listed where the top graduates go. But...as an educated guess... I'd say UT,A&M, OU, and TTU, are the tops. yes you have a couple that will go to MIT, Standford, Princeton, Harvard Brown, Rice etc...

For youth sports ALL the communites have very active year round programs. since you mentioned Basketball I'll give you the links to the ones I know about
Keller Youth Association
Keller Select Basketball - (Keller, TX) - powered by LeagueLineup.com

Upward Basketball | First Baptist Church Keller

Hidden Lakes is a very nice community built around the golf course. It has community pools etc... and some gated neighborhoods within the community. We really liked it but found the homes in our price range were in need of alot of renovation. We found that the home prices there are higher on avg due to the fact that they are in "Hidden Lakes". I guess the name means alot to people, not me. We found a nicer house about 3 minutes away.

The bus ride shouldn't be too long you can look it up on the KISD website. The HS starts at 9:20 (for those who don't have 1st period...usually JV sports etc) and ends at 3:20 again for most.
Drop off and P/U at the schools here are nightmares since most kids don't ride the bus. The wait to get up to the front of school can be 20minutes (esp if raining etc..) varying that by early drop in the morning 8:45 for example makes a huge difference. The mornings are better than the afternoon.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 11:29 AM

15 posts, read 46,924 times
I have only concentrated on Keller HS. So Central High will be a good choice too. I will remember that.

I really want to explore the possbility for high schooler to walk to school to save the time spending on the car or bus. Are there any neighborhoods you can suggest?

For a "great" school as everybody talking about Keller HS, I would think over 50% student would be able to get into one of the TX colleges. I am more interested in knowing about how many students the district can send to ivy schools. I do have a bright kid who has an idea which ivy school to go.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:07 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,638,461 times
Go with Trinity neighborhood in Heritage if you want to be able to walk to Central High.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I would think over 50% student would be able to get into one of the TX colleges.
yes the majority of college bound kids go to Texas colleges or universities.

Even looking at the "top" private schools in the area the "majority" of kids go to UT. Although quite a few do attened the ivy leagues. Also it has been noted in press that more kids are staying cloer to home or in state due to econ. So even though kids are acepted at "ivy schools" financially they may not be able to attend.

this gives you where the top 2 in the DFW area choose to attend. (you will see the majority are Texas schools) Texans tend to stay in state more than people on the east coast, I don't why but they do.
2008-2009 Schools chosen by local top 2 high school graduates

National merit semi-finalists
2010 National Merit Semi-Finalists
Paschal HS in FT worth blows the socks off Keller and ties Carroll Sr. So, you might consider that as well.
Can't find NWISD (trophy club) ? none?

Honestly I said I'd give Keller HS an 8. It's good. Great would be Carroll ISD in Southlake, Highland Park, Plano and Coppell. Unfortunately we couldn't afford those areas or they weren't close enough for a good commute.

As far as walking to Keller HS many do, but the neighborhoods that are adjacent to it are older and have homes way under your price range. (or are duplexes)
Really none of the HS are really situated good to walk to...they are located on busy streets and no sidewalks are avail. Heck...we don't get bussing in my neighborhood becasue we are less than 2 miles from the HS (1.8)but I wouldn't my daughter cross 1709 on foot.
Yes, there are a couple of Heritage neighborhoods that are very close to Central... you wuld have to drive (or walk) around there at drop and dismissle to see if you want your child wlaking home from there.

As far as finding out what universities were choosen by graduates of the local HS I have no idea...I tried googling and searching here. I suggest you post that question over on the Dallas board...someone will probably have a link ofr you.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:06 PM

27,466 posts, read 44,959,956 times
if you call the counseling office of the high school you are interested in you might find there is list of schools that seniors won scholarships from and what schools they attended
I know at the school I retired from, each spring the counselors office kept running total of scholarship money and usually knew where the college bound students were going...
the paper usually gives the top 10 grads from each school with their college choice as well--but the top ten is really the scholarship elite at almost any HS in the area...
many more students attend college but just depends on financials as to where...

many college seniors choose to stay in Tx colleges because of the automatic admission rule for top 10% of graduating class--

Old 02-24-2010, 02:32 PM

289 posts, read 822,922 times
Keller majorly congested?

Home values different on the west side of 377 as on the east?

Hmmm I don't think either one is as bad as represented. ToTX I assume you have been through Keller east and west of 377 and seen houses, etc. I happen to live in Heritage (the Bluffs) and love the area. Yeah, I dread the dumb oil rig/eyesore that is going up on Old denton and Heritage pkwy but I hear is *temporary*. Also, the gigantic warehouse on Kroger drive is not an pretty sight. Besides those two things, I can't justify living on the east side of 377. The Keller Pointe? not worth it. The Keller Citizen? also not worth it.

My opinion is, come down, have a look and make your choice. I'll tell you we're incredibly happy with the schools we have but yes, be aware that if you happen to end up in Fort Worth city and Keller ISD your taxes WILL be higher (I paid 3.20% last year I believe). BTW, I also happen to work at Alliance and it's an easy 15 minute commute. I personally did not considered Trophy club because it just seems so isolated, kinda depressing. To me anyway.

Good luck on your search!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:16 AM

38 posts, read 95,657 times
The Bluffs is a great area! I love it over there and if that is Keller Central I think that might be a really good option for you. You aren't going to find anything within walking distance of Keller HS that is around your price range I dont think.

Youll find something similar over in the new subdivisions by Byron Nelson in Trophy Club, but overall that area of Keller and TC are two different feels for sure. Those new homes in the Heritage area are really beautiful and its just a matter of personal preference. Trophy Club would be a little more private ... older homes and lots of huge trees. Isolated? Not sure about that, but its pretty peaceful. My parents have 3/4 an acre and their backyard is totally wooded. That would be my preference (larger yard, mature trees, etc.), but its a matter of what your family wants in a home and surroundings. Although, I do think that with the new Byron Nelson there are lots of new homes being built and lots of move-ins and younger families coming in (right next to the hs which could be a fit for you if you want walking distance). If you buy on the older side of Trophy club, it could be hit or miss whether your neighbors have kids in school, or not.

The great thing about Keller, if its important, is that you could never leave Keller and have everything you'd ever need! There is so much development over there. For TC, you will need to hop on the highway and drive right into Southlake for restaurants and shopping, etc. I agree, come in and have a look around and choose that way. Each offer much of what you are looking for, but it just depends on what is a better fit for you and your family.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 AM

15 posts, read 46,924 times
Thank you everybody for taking time to answer my questions.

Looked at the Heritage website. Wow. it looks like live in a resort! But I am struggling on Keller HS and Central HS. If it is zoned to Keller HS, that would be perfect!

Kids in Trophy Club need come out to somewhere else to have recreation league practice/games?

Can I find piano teacher in both Keller and TC area?

If both parents work, your kids have no choice but school bus to go to school, right, since most kids start the day at 9:20 in the morning? What if you live within 2 miles of the school and there is no bus served? Any options besides walking?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 AM

289 posts, read 822,922 times
Another good link to check out Heritage is www.heritagelife.com

good luck!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:14 AM

In Keller if bus service is not offered you can pay for bus service.

I am sure TRophy club has rec sports. I know they have soccer as we have played over there.
They do not have an indoor REC center, but you can live in Trophey club and still use Keller Pointe.

Yes Heritage is BEAUTIFUL..love the Bluffs. it's a hard decision (one we had to make 2 years ago.) I gave up the new house for the school. Since I was like you and had a child entering HS right away the HS drove our decision. Otherwise we would have probably bought in Heritage.
Our neighborhood has a small pool. If I had to do it over... I would really look at houses with pools verses neighborhoods with pools. My kids meet friends up at the Keller pointe during the summer. (more than we use our neighborhood pool )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or