U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:51 PM

27,586 posts, read 45,029,595 times

Advertisements

it is sometimes possible to drop students off at school before the start of class--there are often times clubs having meetings or teachers doing tutorials or usually the cafeteria is open for students to buy a breakfast and talk/study--
there are usually teachers on duty at that time to observe
but it varies by school...

there are variety of sports organizations in those areas in addition to school sports

you can google and probably get some info/organizations

regarding piano teachers--I would think there are some--
check craigs list for Dallas fort worth and area and post a query if you can't find something

I know that my neighbor one house over here in Hurst is retired choral teacher who gives piano lessons...so I am sure you can find one fairly close...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 02:27 PM

15 posts, read 46,949 times
I do notice a lot of houses have pools (thank you Google Earth). I understand DFW is hot in summer, but still how often you use your house pool, to justify the maintenance work during the summer, and unpleasant big hole in the winter? If i have a little baby, we may use it more often, but for bigger kids, they still need go to the bigger pools for serious swimming and playing. Is there anything I missed?

Do all the high schools in the same district offer the same AP classes? I was trying to figure this out from their web sites, but have not found a place listing all the APs offered.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM

38 posts, read 95,716 times
Trophy Club has plenty of recreational sports. They do not have a rec center, BUT Roanoke does have one that is new and really nice. (similar to Keller Pointe) and its a 5 minute drive for you. Roanoke and Keller actually share the same zip code, so its sort of like the same city, TC is just liek a huge huge subdivision. Groceries, shopping, etc is all right out of TC in Roanoke.

Piano teacher would be no problem There is one lady I know of in TC as well as my neighbor in Roanoke. TC in the older areas (by this I mean older custom homes, not run down) there are lots of older couples mixed in with newer young families moving in, so piano teachers will be easy to find.

Heritage is gorgeous. I'll drive by the Byron Nelson high school and look at some of those new subdivisions over there to give you some names if you want to look that way. Many have similar styles to Heritage homes.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:41 PM

15 posts, read 46,949 times
Thank you so much to be my remote eyes, crys5683!

Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 PM

for bigger kids, they still need go to the bigger pools for serious swimming and playing
if they are swiming competitively sure they need a standard pool--but most jr high kids can usually be happy with a decent size backyard pool--
they may not be able to dive in it because many newer pools are called "play" pools which means the deepest part is usually in the middle...
most teens seems to just use a pool for lounging vs swimming--and some don't like them at all (from my friends with pools/teens)...

Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 AM

73 posts, read 227,501 times
I don't suggest TC - too many extra tax districts and alot of areas do not have natural gas for heating/cooking (I refuse to live in a home with electric heat/heat pump). Our friends recently moved to Marshall Ridge off 377. Huge pool with water slide to side, and close to where your hubby works.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:36 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,453,258 times
For NWISD and I beleive Byron Nelson HS. There is the Saratoga Neighborhood. It's south of 114 from TC but it is new and has excellant freeway acess. It's new and I believe home prices are better than the new homes in TC. LOt sizes howere are small and it doesn't the beauty that TC has. To me the tree are the biggest draw in TC

Old 02-26-2010, 09:00 AM

most of the homes in TC were built back in the 80 when people thought that the development in Westlake (Solana) was going to take off--it didn't--mainly from its location so far from Dallas and FTW and the oil bust economy in the 80s

many of those houses have not gone through updating--you can check photos on any MLS site
the value was not there for resale

about 8 yrs ago some undeveloped land in TC was bought and turned into a high-end enclave so to speak--because Southlake was taking off and TC is close to Southlake--and Ross Pirot jr was again claiming he was building that big mall in Westlake--
there were some nice homes built (small lots)--but even some of them went into short sale/foreclosure status because of numerous factors...

TC would appeal to someone working at the Fidelity factory in Westlake or in Southlake itself (which is starting to see more business related office space) or to someone working from home...or maybe at the Alliance area that is building up

it used to be really isolated because even Southlake was not developed with retail/commercial but in past 8-10 yrs it has gotten easier to eat at restaurants, go to movies, go shopping, take your kids to dentist and dr--
but most of that is OUTSIDE of TC itself even now--

Old 02-26-2010, 11:55 AM

427 posts, read 828,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crys5683 View Post

Heritage is gorgeous. I'll drive by the Byron Nelson high school and look at some of those new subdivisions over there to give you some names if you want to look that way. Many have similar styles to Heritage homes.
I agree about Heritage; I love their huge pool complex!

Old 02-26-2010, 12:27 PM

427 posts, read 828,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTX View Post
If both parents work, your kids have no choice but school bus to go to school, right, since most kids start the day at 9:20 in the morning? What if you live within 2 miles of the school and there is no bus served? Any options besides walking?
I'm fortunate - my son is in elementary school - his school and Central HS are both within walking distance, but I work close to home - we leave home at 7:25, getting to school at 7:30, when the doors open (class starts at 7:50), and I'm at my office by 7:35. (The location of my office is the reason I went with Heritage).

It sounds like that's not an option for you (I don't know what time HS starts). But, the Heritage website has a bulletin board for residents, and there are a number of "mini van" shuttle services that will pick up students from home, and take them to school, and return them home at the end of the day.

Good luck on wherever you decide to move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or