U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:28 PM

15 posts, read 46,916 times

Advertisements

Today I checked out Trulia.com. It shows Keller has 1172 houses for sale and 221 of them are forclosure or pre-forclosure. My own town is the same size in population, and the number is 688 and 32 respectively. I already feel we have a surplus in house marketing here. The numbers for Keller are kind of scary.

Also wondering how many percentage of students in Keller ISD come from a un-official Keller residents. My town only has 1 high school (6A, not 5A though). Keller has 4 high schools. The two towns have the same population of 38K and the similar resident medium age. Keller ISD must have a pretty decent portion of kids from outside of that 38K population. Am I guessing right?

Are you guys seeing a lot of forclosures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 07:15 AM

27,437 posts, read 44,934,740 times
first of all--Trulia is bunk--I would not put any "professional" weight behind any stats there

second there is a thread on Dallas and FTW boards with numbers of foreclosures of most towns in the Metroplex from last year to this
search for it
you can see accurate # of POSTED foreclosures--the ones that went throught the courthouse
if I remember correctly, I think Keller's numbers--like most in area--have dropped--
and even those with what seem to be significant increase can have very low numbers of actual foreclosures--like going from 5 to 10 would be a 100% increase--but it is still just 10 foreclosures...

I don't know what you mean by "unofficial Keller residents"

many of the schools in the Keller ISD are actually located in the city of FTW--which threads have been posted about--

so when you consider the populations of the schools -- you are looking at more than just the town of Keller specifically

students who live in Colleyville, North Richland Hills, Fort Worth, Keller feed into the KELLER ISD== and maybe even towns of Roanoke or Trophy Club

In TX--towns and school districts do not run concurrently--it is possible and occurs for a school district to overlap the boundaries of 1-2-3-4 individual towns and for one town to have 2-3-4 school districts at some point in its boundaries...

Old 03-04-2010, 07:20 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,443,565 times
Those numbers seem way off for city of Keller.
Many Real Estates site have Woodland Springs, Crawford Farms, Heritage, etc...as Keller but they are Ft Worth. (but have Keller ISD)

I have heard that Truilla often has wrong info.

I found 363 homes for sale in Keller ...76248 (the city of Keller zip) but a few have a FT Worth Address

Here are the numbers of foreclousers... in percentages... 2009 DFW Foreclosure Statistics
Keller is at .56 for 2009 and was .54 for 2008 realtivly flat.

No you can not go to a Keller HS and not be a Resident of the School District. They re-do residency evey year. (But NOT all of Keller School District are REsidence of Keller...MOST are NOT)

Keller itself (the city) only has 1 HS. ALL the other 3 are located in FT Worth. but are zoned Keller ISD. (Keller ISD takes in Keller, part of NW Ft Worth, part of West North Richalnd Hills, parts of Westlake, very west neighborhood in Southlake, a part of Colleyville, a part of Roanoak and North Watagua.

So that's why for Population of Keller itself it not large enough for 4 HS but the School District is. Keller ISD is one of the Largest school districts in this area. Over 30 campuses (most of those lie in the city of Ft worth)

Keller HS takes in Kids from Keller, North Richalnd Hills , Southlake, Colleyville, and Westlake.

And That's why searching the Resal Estate site for Forecloures and Home sales by "city" is not reliable.
Keller realigned the zip code last year so that only Keller Residence has 76248 and a Keller mailing address...but NOT all RE sites did the same.

I know someone on here has the site that actually takes the forclosures off the Tax records or something...Loves2?

I know I have seen more houses pop up recently for sale...Spring is high time and know of Only 1 forclosure in our neighborhood. (an elderly lady who passed away and the kids let it go)
Haven't noticed bunches of Foreclosure signs etc....

All I can tell you is we are very happy in our neighborhood and satisfied with Keller schools.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:23 AM

the area that Saratoga is in is "considered" Keller because that is the closest town to it...

no--it is considered/marketed as Keller because Keller has a more positive marketing image than say towns of Roanoke (which did not make US News top ten list) and has fewer city amenities than Keller, making it less desireable usually to people who are considering where to live...or because people just don't explain themselves accurately---
I used to live in Bedford--very close to Colleyville city limits--but I would not have considered saying that I lived in Colleyville because that was "close" to my house...people who bought homes in say--Woodland Springs subdivision--were (I think) thinking that they were buying homes in Keller because that is how they were "marketed"--and did not really realize the houses were actually in FTW until maybe at closing--or even afterwards when they got their tax statements...

and what "home tax break" do you refer to for people living in Trophy Club???
do you mean that FTW has a lower tax rate than Trophy Club--or that you get the "homestead" exemption only for living in FTW city limits--which is not true...

Old 03-04-2010, 08:09 AM

74 posts, read 171,715 times
5stones
Thanks for always sharing your information on Keller. You have learned a lot in your move there and it really helps to have someone that knows so much about Keller willing to share. I also had a quick question in regards to foreclosures. Are the foreclosures that have occurred in the North Fort Worth stretch of land being lumped into the general Fort Worth area in this lsit of foreclosures? Does anyone know? That would make sense but it would be interesting to see those specifics. I don't think I saw a separate classification for that area but I could have missed it. I would imagine any area that has many new builds would be more vulnerable than more established areas mainly due to the fact that so many of the mortgages made in the last 5 years were a bit ridiculous.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:29 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,443,565 times
Best as I can find.... Foreclosure listing for Tarrant County... 1828

Keller zip 76248... aprox 10...
(2 mobil home w/land found only aprox 4 listed as "homes" others listed as residentaul unit? could be house could be condo...unsure)

Keller zip 76244...
This zip lies west of 377 (confirmed by post office... (817)431-6231.) Most of this mailing address is FT Worth...Woodland Springs area etc... (only part of city of Keller is High Chappell Estates )

aprox 45 listings... again only a few show up as "houses" but most are residental units so could be houses etc...

Got my info from this site... Texas Foreclosures TX Foreclosure Listings Foreclosed Homes in Dallas, DFW*Texas Bank Homes (http://www.bankhouses.com/search_results.asp?state=TX&county=Dallas - broken link)

So given my numbers for Keller 368 houses for sale...10 in forclosure... thats what 3%?
I'd say add 10% for error... that would be...houses for sale 371 and forclosures...and forclosures are at 15 you are looking at aprox 4% of houses in forclosure

Anyone...Please correct me if I am wrong!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 AM

3,084 posts, read 6,463,911 times
Foreclosure is a general term associated with various levels of default. So, it would serve people well to understand what it is they are looking over when they see the term and realize that it's not a cut and dried situation.

Some properties are pending foreclosure, meaning that at any moment a negotiation could be approved and it's taken off the list, or a sale may be made that stops the foreclosure. (see news story today regarding 9 homes in default by the same owner who pocketed the renters/leasees payments but didn't pay the mortgage with the money, bought out of default by a California investment couple)

Other properties are in default and heading directly into foreclosure by a lending institution and will then be sold by same.

Other properties in default are being seized and will be sold at auction in order to pay the debt owed.

So many different situations sit behind these properties. For instance, there are model homes nearby that were never sold by the builder and were considered 'foreclosed' because the builder defaulted on their loan, yet the homes have never been lived in so they don't quite fit in the stereotypical idea of a foreclosed home.

Then there are foreclosures where the occupants simply disappeared or they passed away with no family to handle the affairs. These homes sit vacant and in disrepair for years and years until one entity or another can legally take control of them and take action.

There's the issue like mentioned above where an owner defaults unbeknownst to the actual occupants. That one person caused 9 different foreclosures.

And of course there's the homeowner who bit off more than they could actually chew and can't keep their home, so they go bankrupt and default.

So, bottom line is when looking at foreclosure lists, look at it from all aspects, especially as to whether or not the property even makes it to foreclosure proceedings.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:51 AM

and from what I have seen people who think buying a foreclosure equates to "getting the best deal" on a house are just out of sync
there are so many negatives that are tied into trying to buy a foreclosure--and the majority of those can result in someone getting a "bad" deal...

decide on what YOU can afford to reasonable spent on a house (including the taxes likely) then find the best neighborhood/ISD/house you can afford...

looking for a "foreclosure" with the mindset that you can ignore other factors that are so important in choosing a house because of a price/deal mirage just seems like totally upside-down way to shop for house...

for what it's worth: Friday edition of Star-Telegram had short article about the increase in mortgage holders behind/delinquent on their mortgages in Tarrant county--went from 4+% last month (jan) to 6+% in Feb--could be just result of people getting their Christmas bills on credit cards and having to rob Peter to pay Fannie Mae--
waiting to see what happens with the March numbers--but IF that trend continues to grow--then a second round of foreclosures could be in the works--long time away

the fact is that in MOST areas of the Metroplex--housing is still a viable purchase for people looking to buy--either as investment/rental property or as dwelling--
so BEFORE a home actually gets to the foreclosure stage most homes have had prices reduced and sold to buyers...
that is one reason some areas have so few "technical" foreclosures--it is NOT that people in some towns have not had problems financially, had trouble paying their mortgages, or have had to sell a home for less than what they consider "fair value" or never lost money putting home on market---it means that they took steps to make the home attractive enough to get a buyer BEFORE it went all the way to foreclosure--

there is home in my neighborhood in Hurst right now that has been for sale for probably a year or more--less than 6 yrs old probably--original owners--
younger couple who moved to this area from Louisiana (supposedly from what neighbors say) and the wife hated living here--wanted to move back to where they came from--the house was put on market but no takers--don't think they really dropped the price enough to make it attractive considering some factors--so saw this week it is listed now as foreclosure--
whether they have moved back to Louisiana and basically abandoned the house to the mortgage company--have no clue--
and the price is not THAT much reduced even now--and don't know if the bank/mortgage company has set a base bid at foreclosure--

Last edited by loves2read; 03-06-2010 at 09:01 AM..

Old 03-07-2010, 03:10 PM

137 posts, read 319,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Heritage is technically in Fort Worth (paying Fort Worth city taxes... but is in Keller ISD-- Keller ISD taxes), it is located off of Heritage Trace Parkway between I-35 and 377.

Are taxes higher from FTW or Keller?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:37 AM

I believe that Keller ISD has higher tax rate than FTW ISD and that Keller city taxes are set at higher rate than FTW city but don't know for sure
--but you can check on TAD.org site
under different addresses to see the rates and valuations for specific properties...
and remember that rates are set uniformly by city/taxing authorities--like an ISD or the county hospital district
BUT that homes can have different valuations which makes individual tax bills different--even within a neighborhood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or