U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 AM

20 posts, read 74,376 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me about the TCU area. What are the differences between the neighborhoods in the area, current price ranges, community feel.

Have heard a little about Westcliff, just south of TCU. Does anyone have first-hand knowledge with it. Good things, bad things about it?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 06:59 AM

2,232 posts, read 3,501,801 times
Tanglewood which borders TCU to the northwest is one of the nicest, if not THE nicest inner city residential neighborhood in Fort Worth. I imagine there are plenty of $1+ million homes in that area but I haven't looked at the MLS. The neighborhoods to the north and northeast also look nice but I know less about them.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:21 AM

17 posts, read 28,284 times
Anywhere around TCU is ideal, you'll love it!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:03 PM

1,064 posts, read 3,021,770 times
It is a mix around campus. I lived in Tanglewood one year during college, it was a rent house and 4 of us lived there. It was really safe, quite and we were not obnoxious so I think that helps with the nieghbors but there were not many students living there since it was mostly single family homes. Yes, the houses are really nice there...and expensive. When I was at TCU, things weren't as nice as they are now. It seems like alot of the areas that used to have 8 college guys living in a house next to a family is not as prevalent as it used to be. I think it has become more "gentrified" all around TCU. IMO, Westcliff is ok. You have some nice homes and then the Westcliff apts which were not very nice 10 years ago. I have no clue now what they are like. I can't imagine much better but I hope someone speaks up if I am wrong. As for safety, I don't think you would have much to worry about.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:23 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Are there areas around campus that have deed restrictions that disallow renters or non-related people living under the same roof? It seems that some of the neighborhoods have more of a student/renter "vibe" than others.

We were looking into Westcliff but it seems like it goes block by block as far as owner-occupied vs renters. Does anyone know the reason for this? Is it price, proximity, or what?

Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 PM

74 posts, read 171,739 times
Hi Blueplanet
I am not sure about deed restrictions and rental restrictions in Westcliff but you definitely see the smaller less expensive homes often being used for rentals all around TCU. When we looked for homes in that area, I remember the realtor saying we should try to stay in the Tanglewood elementary boundary which several streets do lie within the Westcliff neighborhood. If you can get into the Tanglewood elementary area, it will always help the re-sale of your home. The majority of Westcliff lies within the Westcliff Elementary which according to the ratings is so so. I am not sure if you have children, if schools are a factor but all we heard about coming from out of town is how amazing tanglewood Elementary was. Westcliff neighbors Tanglewood which in my opinion is perhaps the most desireable in Fort Worth for families based on green space, great elementary school, community feel, safety and beautiful trees. It is also pricey which does keep the volume of student rentals down. I think after you go through Westcliff moving south, crime is more prevalent and the general areas just don't feel as safe so Westcliff is kind of your in-between from very nice Tanglewood to not so nice. I too had the same impression in that it was very hit or miss depending on the block. I have also heard many people very happy in the University section just north of TCU as well as Mistletoe, Berkley, and Ryan Place which are all near TCU.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 AM

1,064 posts, read 3,021,770 times
Are you wanting to rent or buy?

I agree with dmorris, south of Westcliff is not really an area I would want to live. Mistletoe, Ryan Place Berkley, etc are really nice, my spouse and I at one point were looking into buying in the area but his job ended up being in a different location than we thought. These areas are really up there in price. Have you thought about Bluebonnet Place?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:16 PM

948 posts, read 1,145,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueplanet248 View Post
Can someone tell me about the TCU area. What are the differences between the neighborhoods in the area, current price ranges, community feel.

Have heard a little about Westcliff, just south of TCU. Does anyone have first-hand knowledge with it. Good things, bad things about it?

Thanks for the help!

Just to clarify: Westcliff is a sprawling neighborhood that has a wide range of home prices. It is further divided into such sections as Westcliff West, Overton Park, Foster Park Etc. etc.

Some of the nicest homes, in both Tanglewood and even more so in Westcliff, are near the greenbelt of Overton park (Encanto is probably one of the nicest streets in FW). Also, the boundaries for what areas of Westcliff attend Tanglewood Elementary are counter-intuitive and include some areas further south that tend to be more affordable and still nice.

In general, the further east you are the more students you'll find. There are small pockets where they dominate; there are other areas where there are few. If you drive through the neighborhood and see a lot of cars/trucks parked in the street you know it's heavy with students.

Last edited by Campeador; 03-02-2010 at 12:30 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 03:36 AM

Does anyone have any thoughts on how Westcliff is holding up property value wise? I heard a while back that FW was going to implement stricter zoning ordinances on non-related people living within a single house. If that ended up being implemented, has it helped in preventing the area from becoming a little too "college student friendly"? Any feedback would be appreciated!!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:47 AM

6 posts, read 14,869 times
As a city planning consultant who worked with cities containing universities this has been an ongoing problem but while some cities have implemented ordinances to limit non related people living in a single house what I have heard is that if legally challenges these ordinances would not hold up. As someone who lives in the Bluebonnet Hills area adjacent to TCU I wish there was something that could be done to limit the student rental situation. I second the suggestion that if you see lots of trucks and suv's parked on the street than that is a street to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or