U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:53 PM

20 posts, read 58,595 times

Advertisements

Thanks alot. I'll be in the area this weekend looking at other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 04:19 AM

103 posts, read 623,482 times
We just had a Gehan home built...and, it seems to be good in my eyes! LOL! It is BEAUTIFUL!! My husband does steel design and knows the "rules" of building...and, he was on the jobsite every other day looking over the work. Whenever he saw something that didn't look right...he got out his measuring tape and levels and made sure things were square, lined up, etc. He also made sure to point things out to the head construction guy if he felt they weren't right. The builder was great about fixing things that didn't seem right, or explained them to us if my dh didn't quite understand why something was the way it was.

We really couldn't afford a $200K house, so we went with an average-priced home with several upgrades (study instead of formal dining room, taller cabinets, better hardware, "paneled" doors, etc).

We looked at ALL kinds of builders in the area we are moving to. But, we kept going back to the Gehan homes. The layout is perfect for our small family...and, the architecture really adds to the design (I'm an artist, and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the arched doorways and nooks, the wall with the big cut-out between the kitchen and the familiy room...and the front windows in our study). The high vaulted, 10 foot ceilings are beautiful as well (I think this is what they are called...but, I could be wrong)! I also LOVE the lot we were able to get!! The lot was another upgrade...but, SO worth it!! One perk is the view! LOL! We are near a valley with hills and lots of trees...and, not far from Eagle Mountain Lake, Marine Creek Lake, and Lake Worth. Another perk is that there will be TWO parks in the subdivision.

Anyway...

We just had our walk through this week...and there were some cosmetic issues (mainly painting and left-on glue on the kitchen cabinets). But, the house looks BEAUTIFUL!! I can't wait to move in!

With this said...my only complaint thus far is that the builder did not tell us about changes to the plan from the model or the original plans (we chose one of the models as our plan). They made the island bigger...which I didn't like! LOL! They changed the columns slightly on the front of the house...and, they made one cabinet smaller in the kitchen to make room for a larger fridge. I didn't like this because the one cabinet is now a single-door cabinet vs. a double-door cabinet. But, the single-door cabinet looks too large to be a single-door! (hard to explain). They did add in a light over the master shower...which is a NICE change!...and the light over the kitchen sink is an "eyeball" light instead of a fixed light.

We will be changing many of the lighting fixtures to ceiling fans once we move in...as well as the light over the kitchen island. We also didn't get the tile in the kitchen area...we know somebody that does it for a living, so it is going to be a better deal having them do it instead of the builder.

I know you aren't looking to build where we just built...but, if Gehan is in the area you are thinking about moving to...perhaps check them out. It wouldn't hurt!

Last edited by artcgal; 06-15-2007 at 04:47 AM..

Old 06-15-2007, 11:25 AM

1,379 posts, read 5,812,361 times
Congratulations on your new home!!! How exciting and fun!! We still have to wait five more months for us.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:52 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,044,714 times
Yes, congrats to you and your hubby on your new house, artcgal.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:26 PM

27,462 posts, read 44,959,956 times
I worked for the TX dept of human services several years--that is low income area (even though there are single family homes) with apartments and rent homes...agree that is not area many people would choose to live in--lots of gang activity and breakins..

Old 06-25-2007, 08:37 AM

30 posts, read 125,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drick37 View Post
I will keep looking. Any decent neighborhoods that I should be looking into?
Hope I'm not too late, but in 2003 out of 6,636 DFW home buyers who had their houses from four to 18 months History Maker ranked ahead of D.R. Horton Custom and Gehan. History Maker's score was 112 while D.R. Horton and Gehan ranked 102 and 97 respectively. AND according to an article in the DMNews, History Maker did not have one complaint about their homes in the area. Personally, I have visited just about all the homebuilders in my area, and basically all of them are cookie-cutter styled homes. Some may have a little crown molding and arch ways in certain areas, but none of them are CUSTOM built. I've seen custom built homes and these regular home builders leave a lot to be desired even History Maker. But, I think you can add upgrades that will add a little more appeal to them. JMO

Old 10-29-2007, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 7,368 times
I have been researching homes for the last two years. Look at JD Power and Associates website for the new home builder ratings for this area. Pulte has been ranked number one for a few years running. I believe Meritage beat them out this last year.
Good luck!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,246 times
I have looked at History Maker and was pleasantly suprised with the quality I saw. Granted the front of the home did not have much (if any) appeal, but the inside was dynamite. As far as construction was concerned, I thought they were built as well as any volume builder construction in the area.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:43 PM

117 posts, read 447,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large One View Post
I have looked at History Maker and was pleasantly suprised with the quality I saw. Granted the front of the home did not have much (if any) appeal, but the inside was dynamite. As far as construction was concerned, I thought they were built as well as any volume builder construction in the area.
They are. I live in one and dr horton is next door. same materials and process. the only difference was mine was done as promised. and on time (45 days from the pouring of foundation to close).

I agree on the curb appeal. i'm adding some plants and trees to bring it out a little more. but i got what i paid for. it's not like i bought it to make a quick sell.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 11,777 times
Default re: history maker homes

My husband and I built a History Maker home 12 years ago in Southwest Ft.Worth. We have never had any problem what so ever, it has been a wonderful home to live in. I like the fact that every inch is used, no unused space. I would recommend a History Maker home to my family and friends. Also I would like to add that they were very pleasant to deal with and everything went according to plan. We did change a few details on the floor plan and they were ok with this. They aim to please. I do agree that History Maker (and alot of other builders) build a cookie cutter type house, but its the inside that makes it a home. I would build another History Maker! Sharon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth