U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:16 PM

20 posts, read 58,595 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a history maker home in South Fort Worth. Anyone ever dealt with them? I've never had a home built, and I am looking for a builder with a good rep. So far, I haven't found any negative comments about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 09:44 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,044,714 times
When I was house hunting, their homes looked pricewise cheap (good thing) but also build quality cheap (not so good). I never heard of them until I went house hunting. I preferred to go with a national/big-name builder and chose DR Horton. I don't personally know anyone w/ a HMH, so I can't speak of their experience. I can only speak from what I saw in their model and inventory homes and brochures. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:06 AM

49 posts, read 228,720 times
I agree with beowulf7. We looked at them, and they are cheaply made homes. The outside of them really have no appeal at all and I can see having a hard time with resale. There are many other builders around that have better homes in the same price range, in my opinion.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the info. I was attracted to there 3k sq. ft. home for 120k. when I looked for a similar type home, the price jumped to about 160k. I will keep looking.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:21 AM

3,855 posts, read 11,463,484 times
A new 3k sq ft home should cost in excess of $200k around here (final price depending on a number of factors). If it doesn't you must ask yourself what the build quality and neighborhood is like.

My house is 2k sq ft and the final buy price was $137k with the options we chose.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:10 PM

I will keep looking. Any decent neighborhoods that I should be looking into?

Old 06-08-2007, 01:11 PM

Every neighborhood that I once thought was decent is changing in a negative way. What's your criteria? What area of FTW do you work? How far is too far from that area? Schools? Lot size? Budget?

I live in SW FTW, straight north of Crowley by about 3 miles. This seemed to be a nice area when we were house shopping but it's actually overun with gangs and little gang banger wannabies.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:34 AM

I work in Richardson, just North of Dallas. The taxes in Dallas and north of Dallas were terrible so I looked West. I know where you are talking about, that's where I was looking for a home in the Everman ISD. Thanks for letting me know about the gang issue. I used to live in LA, terrible! Not looking forward to anymore gang activity. I am going to have to commute anywhere I live, so that's not an issue. I would like a decent school system, parks, and close to the freeway and public transportation.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:27 AM

hmmm....Everman? That's on the other side of 35W from where I am. Never actually been in that area. But just North of that is a pretty rough area. The Southeast quadrant of the 820 loop is on the news a lot....but so are a lot of other places around here.

I think anywhere you'd want to live that is close to both a freeway and public transportation is going to be hit and miss when it comes to crime rate.

Taxes are Taxes. I wouldn't think the taxes here are much better than they are in Richardson but I could be wrong. I'm in the North Crowley School District but I'm also in the Fort Worth City Limits. So I get raked over the coals on both ends. I pay the high taxes associated with the 'better' school district and the high taxes associated with living in big old FTW. Yay!

I've got to tell you. I used to live on Hulen Street in FTW just south of I-30. I thought that was just great. If I could afford a house in that area that would accomodate my family of 5+dog I'd like to live there again. The thing is I wouldn't want to have my kids in a big city public school....and no way I could afford tuition to private school. So you know what? I'm sick of crime and violence. I've been shopping for houses out in Weatherford/Aledo/Springtown area. Get me out of this place.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:17 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,044,714 times
^ I've heard that the southeast quadrant of FW is ghetto and should be avoided like the plague. That's what coworkers told me when I first moved to FW last year. I've never been there and hopefully won't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth