Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:09 PM

10 posts, read 20,552 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the best places to live and the best elementary schools around the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 09:28 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Near Ditto Elementary, Butler Elementary, Pope Elementary. Butler and Pope are in North Arlington....by far the most lovely neighborhoods and great access to all good roads and entertainment venues. However the North Arlington area is served by not highly rated middle and high schools. The one highly rated middle and high school in North Arlington is Summit International Prep school -- a charter school that has achieved recognized ratings at the middle & hs levels. If you are interested in southwest Arlington, that's a great area -- good home prices, too.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks. Do you have any personal experience with the elementary schools and their communities , and school cultures?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:08 AM

Default Moving from Jacksonville,FL to Arlington,TX

I will be moving soon to Arlington,Tx. Can anyone share information regarding places to live, good elementary schools, and communities. Also, if anyone has children attending Ditto elementary school can you tell me about the school and it's curriculum. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to share any information regarding Arlington as it would be very valuable to me.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:35 AM

Default Schools in Arlington

I lived in southwest Arlington for many years; my kid went to Young Jr High and Martin H.S. My nieces attended Ditto Elementary -- good experiences ----and they also went to Martin HS; a good HS for Arlington. We had great experiences with both Young & Martin except I think my son would have done better in a smaller school. Butler elementary is an exemplary rated school in North Arlington. My son and his wife moved to their home specifically so they would be served by Butler. Did lots & lots of research. People outside of its service area line up for any open spots in the AISD parking lot and SLEEP OUTSIDE to hold their place for Butler open spots. Ironically, my granddaughter won't be going there afterall because her parents applied to Summit Intl. Prep - a public charter school - and their daughter was accepted. They did this simply b/c Summit runs k-12 and the Jr. HS and HS in their area are not as highly rated as Summit.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:04 PM

Default Thanks for the info.

I want to make sure I understood correctly. What do you have to do in order to enroll your child to an elementary school like Ditto? I read where you stated people line up to hold a spot. How does the district handle that or is it done by zip codes or neighborhoods? I have been researching and I think I want my girls to go to Ditto or Little. I am planning on renting first. Do you mind if I ask what are the better communities and neighborhoods around the areas? What exactly does Summit offers and what do you have to do to be enroll there just in case? By the thanks so much for the info.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:57 PM

Default Getting into Arl elementary schools

If you live in the area serviced by your desired school -- example Ditto -- your children are automatically eligible to be enrolled in Ditto. However, if you don't live in that school's service area you can contact the AISD administration and find out how/if you can enroll your child in the desired school. Typically, they will know if there are available spots in the school & grade you want and if so its first come/first serve*on the targeted enrollment day. That's what all the lining up is about. If you are going to rent, be sure the place where you lease is served by the school you want -- that's the best way.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:47 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Ditto is rated Exemplary which is top level --based on TAKS scores and other factors the state uses to evaluate a school and district--

I am sure the school has web site that you can google up and check out

Arlington is home of new cowboy stadium and is working very hard to improve itself before the next super bowl--lots of street construction going on on Highway 360 and other streets...
Arlington has no public transportation and the demographics show rising levels of multi-cultural groups--and for past years the education levels and income level of the residents have been dropping...
there are some schools in Arlington ISD that are rated UN-acceptable--meaning they probably have high numbers of lower-socio-economic students probably from ESL environment--
gangs are kind of problem in some areas of Arlington--
zoning has been kind of problem because you can have fairly nice area and cross a street and enter some not so nice areas--

there are crime maps available on line --

but there are also some nice areas with trees and nice yards--some newer and some older
you don't mention price or if you are buying/leasing home or looking for apt

there are lots of people who work in Arlington and live in other towns in Metroplex for variety of reasons...
you can see by looking at map that Arlington is in basically the middle of the Metroplex- so if you are willing to drive, you do have other options...

Old 03-18-2010, 11:28 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
FYI--Summit International Prep started life as a private school in Arlington called Country Day School of Arlington--a name modeled on the Country Day of FTW which is still in operation as a private school...
Country Day of Arlington could not stay in business with just tuition--by becoming a charter school --one that is allied to a group of other charter schools in the Metroplex called Uplift Education that applied and was awarded a large grant from the Texas High Schools Project, it was able to gain money from the state for teaching students who chose to go there vs to their local public school...
as a private school it was in operation for over 40 yrs--as a charter school it has been open since the 07-08 school year--less than 3 yrs total...
I am not sure how many of the current teachers/admin staff were working for Country Day when it was a private school and stayed to teach at it now...
News - Peak ST - THSP (http://thsp.org/cms/One.aspx?portalId=274785&pageId=418369 - broken link)

that article says that this charter school is going to have a bond sale to raise money for capital expenses like building buildings to house the students--
where the money to guarantee repayment of those bonds is coming from I have no idea--the state is not obligated to cover the payment to bond holders--there are no property owners in the Arlington ISD that are obligated to cover payments for those bond holders...

I would really like to know who is responsible--I surely hope someone does not say TEA or the state...

I googled for some info--I think the state IS responsible for these bonds--that is just stupid>>>>

Last edited by loves2read; 03-18-2010 at 11:39 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 04:24 PM

Thanks so much for the information. Does anyone have any information regarding Bedford or Hurst. What are the schools and communities like there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth