U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:47 PM

634 posts, read 2,284,815 times

Advertisements

Chiggers | University of Kentucky Entomology

here is a good description of what chiggers are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 01:57 PM

13 posts, read 39,682 times
Thank you. That was rather a nasty looking creature. Glad I've never came face to face with that guy!!!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:46 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,044,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Off Skintastic works wonders for me beowulf7. If I cover myself good enough, I never even get a bite. I think chiggers are bad when the grass is high. Also, Fabric Softener sheets work on mosquitoes (rub over the skin) if you don't have insect repellent.
Yes, I think it was you that mentioned it. I'll have to try the fabric softener sheet trick one of these days.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 AM

82 posts, read 563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectsaralee View Post
Someone please humor me...What are chiggers?

Harvest mite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-08-2007, 03:01 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,307,315 times
Both chiggers and mosquitoes are driving me nuts. I tried the fabric softener sheets and they didn't work at all. I was walking my dogs and turned around to look at my legs and I was covered with mosquitoes. A spray containing Deet works pretty well, but I just hate using that stuff. It's better than the other option though.

Once again, I'm up in the middle of the night because I itch so badly and can't sleep. Even though they're really bad this year, here is a link to some good news about the swarm.

Rains may reduce West Nile cases | Latest News | WFAA.com (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa070605_lj_westnile.1ab2c49a.html - broken link)

Old 06-08-2007, 08:22 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,044,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Both chiggers and mosquitoes are driving me nuts. I tried the fabric softener sheets and they didn't work at all. I was walking my dogs and turned around to look at my legs and I was covered with mosquitoes. A spray containing Deet works pretty well, but I just hate using that stuff. It's better than the other option though.

Once again, I'm up in the middle of the night because I itch so badly and can't sleep. Even though they're really bad this year, here is a link to some good news about the swarm.

Rains may reduce West Nile cases | Latest News | WFAA.com (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa070605_lj_westnile.1ab2c49a.html - broken link)
I must've had at least a couple dozen mosquito bites from my evening v-ball games last Wed. and a canoe trip I took to OK over the past weekend. But they're finally starting to heal. It takes a lot of self control to not itch those dang skeeter bites!

At least that is good news that all this the rain is keeping the really bad mosquitoes away.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:29 PM

5 posts, read 30,705 times
The mosquitos just LOOOVE me...my lower legs look like I was hit by a shotgun
And the bites itch sooo very much that I could go crazy sometimes.
Usually I use Cutter/Off...but I can't use this stinky stuff in bed and that's when they get me....and JUST ME, not my husband and not my daughter.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,726 times
Default mosquito magnet here...

I am a mosquito magnet. They chew on me every time I step out the door. I haven't found ANY thing that works keeping them off of me, BUT... I have found that if as soon as I get back in the house or where ever if I generously rub alcohol on my arms and legs that the bites never go anywhere. They pretty much stop itching in just a few minutes and never make a bumps or sores. Gotta do it while there fresh though. I think that's the secret. Y'all try it sometime and let me know if works for you too.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:50 PM

184 posts, read 785,942 times
My son and I are both prone to mosquito bites while my husband and 16 year old daughter are not affected. Anyone know why they bite some of us and leave others pretty much alone? (I'm tempted to ask is it because we are sweeter but my daughter is way sweeter than I am )

Old 06-22-2007, 12:54 AM

27,461 posts, read 44,959,956 times
mosquitos haven't been that bad when I have been outside in evening lately--at least where I am in Mid-Cities--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth