U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 08:53 PM

15 posts, read 47,944 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying a house in Highland Meadows in Colleyville, but we know nothing of the neighborhood. Do you think it nice and homes will maintain their property values? By driving through, most of the homes seemed like they were kept up, but others did not. Any thoughts and input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 06:47 AM

27,453 posts, read 44,947,050 times
Highland Meadows is an older neighborhood but we were trying to buy a house there about two years ago before we finally did in Hurst--it is a desireable neighborhood--at least before the market went sour--lots are larger than many neighborhoods--the houses had lot of the features we were looking for--wide enough lot to have two bedrooms down and two living areas--
I don't think there would be any rental homes in that neighborhood and I think it has an HOA --
don't know what you mean by "others were not"--overgrown yards, peeling paint, gutters falling off???

remember that this is a transitional time of the year--lot of people have not gone back to doing yard work--weeds are up in my yard anyway since we have not made our first spring cut--
do you have a realtor???
get the comps for the area for past 6 mo or year--think you will find that the price has been pretty steady--

it is neighborhood with blend of older families (maybe even empty nesters) and younger families with pre-school kids...
has good school line up--is located pretty well to 114, 121, and Hwy 26

have not been through there lately since we are not actively looking for house...
at one point you were considering buying a house in Thornbury--now Highland Meadows--
do you mean that you are considering buying house in Colleyville and this is neighborhood that caught your eye and you are checking it out?
there are other neighborhoods in Colleyville that are newer and look more spruced up because of that --which is maybe one reason some of the homes look nicer than others--

but one thing Highland Meadows has that many of them don't is better price per sq ft for the lot size--
the lots in Highland Meadow are wide and fairly deep--most of them are a full .25 or closer to .33 which makes a big difference in what type of yard/house you can have---
there are mature trees for shade and privacy and there are sidewalks if I remember correctly--which is a feature I really appreciate (although we bought house in neighborhood without sidewalks)...

Old 03-18-2010, 09:46 AM

We are still considering a home in Thornbury, but we also found a house in Highland Meadows. We like the home and backyard, and it is a better price. The neighborhood doesn't look as 'spruced up' as you say and your have a good point about why that may be. Compared to other neighborhoods we have look at, it just seems that some of the homes/yards are not kept up quite as well. Not all, definitely, but a few on every street. Thank you for your input. It is hard to know about neighborhoods when you just get a snapshot of them.
Yes, we have a realtor, but I appreciate hearing from those who live there!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 PM

it is true that some homes in any neighborhood might not always look as nice or have as good a presentation as other homes--sometimes those owners are just not as good about keeping their yards spruced up or doing maintenance on their homes...
and you should remember that homes in an area like Thornbury generally have landscaping crews to take care of their outside landscaping vs a neighborhood like Highland Meadow where owners are probably doing half the yards and yard guys are doing the other 50%--

one thing to notice about Highland Meadow is that the exteriors of the homes have great deal of variety in their "look"--they are brick and maybe siding without the newer combination of stone/brick or Hardi-plank that more modern subdivision have--but they are not cookie cutter homes--because they were built by local custom builders for the most part...not by Drees or Southern Pacific or other tract builders...Sandlin built homes in there at early part of his business -- before he became as large a developer as he is now--so I think in general the quality of construction for most homes is probably very good...
some of the homes probably had design input from the first owners --and those homes usually have some features that set them apart from typical tract homes--better use of storage, just more functional design--
not every home and certainly not every home in MLS at this time in Highland Park has that background but it is always something to consider...

check out the address for the home you are interested in at the TAD site and look under prior owners--see who the builder was and PM me the name -- it may be one I am familiar with...

the MLS site I usually use says there are 5 homes for sale there now--
looking at the MLS info for them--the one I would worry about would be the one where the owners fairly recently it looks like added a game room and 5th bedroom via remodeling in the attic or over the garage...anything done after the original construction you should really have checked out thoroughly--some people do remodeling and don't follow all the rules...current owners might have bought it after remodeling was done...
the TAd property valuation sets the sq ft at less than 4000--so the overage might not have been reported to TAD because they might not have pulled building permits from the city...

and it looks like some of the owners are asking a premium over their 2009 TAD valuations--just check the comps to see what past sales for last 6-12 months have been AND check their tax valuations as well...

and remember that repainting to cover up a red wall/room can take a lot more paint/time than repainting a lighter color--sometimes 3 coats or more...so I would definitely take any repainting you might feel necessary into consideration...some homes still have wallpaper--that is considered "unsightly" in most older homes and most realtors would tell their clients to either take it down before putting up for sale or to reduce price somewhat to take dated appearance into account...

those homes have rear garages--some of them have pretty narrow alley to drive down--they were created at a time when cars were smaller--you should take the largest car you own and actually drive down the driveway and try to park in the garage--to see how it works for you--check with your realtor --owners should not have an objection if they are truly trying to sell the house...

ask yourself
1--where are we putting the christmas tree
2--where are we storing the christmas tree/decorations
3--how far do I walk from the dishwasher to store the dishes...
4--can I see the tv when I am cleaning up the kitchen
5--how easy is it to get to bbq grill from the kitchen...
6--are there any line of sight problems when bathroom doors are open or bedroom doors are open
7--can I park in the garage EASILY--can my new teen driver park in the garage EASILY
8--if there is a pool--where is the closest bathroom and how easy would it be for a 3 yr old to get to it in a hurry

anyway--those are questions I always ask when looking at homes to buy

Location for Highland Meadow is a real plus--close to post office, BoA, very easy access to Hwy 26 and to the strip mall with the grocery store, book store, and cinema--that seems to be heart of Colleyville right now...
the only thing I was kind of surprised about was that the jr high is rated as Acceptable vs Recognized or Exemplary--it is really the weakest school in Grapevine Colleyville since it is more acceptable for a high school to be rated Acceptable and still have redeeming value...

Thornbury area has better rated schools...Crosstimbers Middle probably pulls students from the apartments on Mustang Drive--since it is on Pool and Hwy 26 up by the Krispy Kreme donut store...

Last edited by loves2read; 03-18-2010 at 10:26 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 08:48 AM

You mention a TAD site - where can I find that? I am not familiar with that.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:32 AM

Tarrant Appraisal District

all county appraisal districts have web sites
some of them are more user friendly
I think Tarrant county's site is pretty self-explanatory

Old 03-20-2010, 12:47 AM

11 posts, read 46,757 times
Default updating & maintenance critical to home value

HM is definitely a good neighborhood - for one thing, the location is outstanding. Most people are very concerned with keeping up their homes. Not just maintaining, but also updating. The key reason is to maintain/improve home value. The lots are huge & you can get large 1 story homes with big yards, so a lot of people are into landscaping the backyards & putting in outdoor kitchens. Sidewalks, wide roads, lots of space. No cars parked in the street. Big houses, open floor plans, well made homes. I don't think people are going to be pristine/perfect on everything, you have a mix of families and older couples, and they are living their lives. But definitely daily there are crews in the neighborhood doing landscaping, yardwork, painting, etc. Definitely this neighborhood uses a lot of services. One of the realtors in the area sent out a postcard with the sales value differences in updated vs nonupdated - the difference was significant. Anyone who isn't continually renewing/improving is making a poor financial choice. If you like HM, you may also like an attached neighborhood that is also good - Ross Downs. Adjacent to both of these neighborhoods is Kimzie park which is a nice park with a pond, playground, ball field, walking path, etc.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:05 AM

Ross Downs is a nice area but lots are smaller than Highland Meadows--
getting OUT of Ross Downs on to Hwy 26 or Pool Rd is more difficult because there is no light at either location--where as there is light onto 26 from street that Highland Meadows borders and if you follow Hall Johnson east--there is light at 121 as well

there are fewer homes over 3000 sq ft single level in Ross Downs--because the lots are more narrow and it is more difficult to find a home that has two living areas AND two bedrooms downstairs
(I know cause that was floor plan we really wanted)
but Ross Downs is a newer neighborhood and the exterior look of homes--more pitched roofs, more use of stone/brick vs brick alone--makes it a more modern aura

Ross Downs area sits along a geological fault line that stretches north into Grapevine/Southlake and south into Bedford (and beyond I imagine)--some friends of ours in Bedford experienced a foundation problem when that fault slipped probably 15 yrs ago or so--they were told by company they got to fix the problem that many houses were similarly affected all along the fault line
so if you look/buy in Ross Downs make sure that you check about foundation problems...although foundation problems can be a problem in general for any home in the Metroplex because of the geographical and soil conditions...

there is also builder who built in Ross Downs that I would not recommend--he did not build in Highland Meadows although he has built homes in many areas of the Tarrant side
PM me if you want to know why--

Highland Meadows IMO has better location regarding Colleyville and getting into FTW--just from its location it is little further away from 121 access than Ross Downs

Ross Downs is maybe better access to 121 and Grapevine/Southlake because it is further north and closer to 121/114 access --Pool is a straight shot into Southlake area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth