Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:58 AM

42 posts, read 164,820 times

Advertisements

Recently, I visited a family friend and stayed in the Heritage area of far north Fort Worth for a few days.

Something that struck me as amazing during my stay was the fact that the people living in this area referred to themselves as residents of Keller. Generally, the train tracks adjacent to 377 separate Fort Worth from Keller, but people living on the west side of 377 - actually Fort Worth - attend Keller ISD schools and have Keller mailing addresses.

To see what area I'm talking about, check out this map.

If these people weren't paying taxes to the City of Fort Worth, I think they'd have almost no way to find out that they weren't living in Keller! And the people here must know they live in Fort Worth, so why don't they say so? One of the reasons why people have the typical "Fort Worth is part of Dallas" outlook is because of the fact that some Fort Worth residents are suburban wannabes and don't acknowledge the fact that they live there.

One thing I noticed is that there is virtually nothing bringing "Fort Worth awareness," so to speak, to this area. Keller has done a much better job of marking its boundaries than Fort Worth has; for example, driving east on Golden Triangle Boulevard from this area of Fort Worth, there's a Keller city limit sign. I couldn't find a single Fort Worth city limit sign driving west from Keller across 377 into Fort Worth. The new 24 Hour Fitness on Golden Triangle says it's in Keller, and is advertised as such on its website. Guess what? It's actually in Fort Worth.

Also, the Northeast Tarrant edition of the Star-Telegram, distributed to suburbs including Keller, is distributed as far west as the 7-11 on Heritage Trace and I-35W. This area is deep into Fort Worth, and is definitely not in northeastern Tarrant County! Obviously, the main Fort Worth edition should be found here, but the "this is Keller" mentality persists all the way to I-35W.

It's also interesting to note that Keller ISD is massive, but Keller itself only has one high school. The other three high schools in KISD are all in Fort Worth!

With Keller mailing addresses and the lack of "Fort Worth awareness," no wonder the non-tax-paying children here think they live in Keller!

Am I the only one who finds this to be terribly annoying? If you can't tell, I'm very bugged by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 01:25 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
dude--where do you live???
you have no experience with how Texas public schools are organized obviously and you don't have a feel for terms that are in local use--like NW Tarrant county...

the zip code for that particular area has reverted to using Fort Worth as mailing address vs the previous Keller one--

why are you trying to stir up so much controversy--this info basically has been topic of conversation on this board for all the time I have been posting/reading here...
it is old news...

Old 03-19-2010, 01:52 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,425,635 times
*giggles*...Loves said "dude" hehe

Loves is right..old argument and if you live in Fort Worth, as I do, you would understand that there is a HUGE difference between Dallas and Fort Worth.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:51 PM

29 posts, read 70,987 times
Unless you live here I don't know why it bothers you?

I live in Heritage and I guess i'd bug you because I say I live in Keller. My mailing address says Keller, Texas so why wouldn't I say I live in Keller? I'm sure not going to waste my breath on telling someone why I don't technically live in Keller....they probably already know or really are like me, don't care.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:02 PM

42 posts, read 164,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
dude--where do you live???
you have no experience with how Texas public schools are organized obviously and you don't have a feel for terms that are in local use--like NW Tarrant county...

the zip code for that particular area has reverted to using Fort Worth as mailing address vs the previous Keller one--

why are you trying to stir up so much controversy--this info basically has been topic of conversation on this board for all the time I have been posting/reading here...
it is old news...
How is this stirring up controversy? I'm just expressing my opinion that it's annoying to me. I realize that most people don't care, I guess I'm just OCD about it.

Also, just FYI, I've lived in Texas my whole life, so I am fully aware of how school districts frequently cross city boundaries. Do not tell me I have no experience with this, please. I'm not saying "let's redistrict all of the north Fort Worth area to FWISD instead of KISD." I'm just saying that even if these areas are in KISD, they're still in Fort Worth, not Keller.

You're a really helpful and knowledgeable person and I love your posts on here, so I definitely was not expecting a hostile response from you! Like I said, I'm just saying that it's irritating to me personally.

Last edited by The Texan; 03-19-2010 at 04:13 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 10:30 PM

34 posts, read 156,191 times
For me I live two streets away from Keller. It's easier to help people reference where I live if I say I live in Keller. I sometimes say Far North Fort Worth, which is the case, but that is confusing and takes longer to say. When I am traveling outside of the state I say I'm from Dallas. It's all about helping people to reference where you live. I agree with the other commentors...old dried up subject.

Last edited by TamiS; 03-19-2010 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: typorama

Old 03-20-2010, 10:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
agree about the geographical confusion--because Keller is apparently a more definitive location vs North FTW which sounds too amorphous

we live in Hurst--when we travel out of area, we just say we live in DFW area or west of DFW airport--
we have said we live north of new Cowboy stadium--of course most people think that is in Dallas vs Arlington so we stopped doing that...

Old 03-20-2010, 01:31 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,127 times
It's a peeve of mine too. My parents live in "real" Keller (off of Rufe Snow).

I remember back a few years ago when the Keller Pointe opened, there were tons of people upset that they were not eligible for the resident rates because they live on the other sides of the tracks and pay taxes to the city of Fort Worth, not Keller.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
There are A TON of signs that tell you that you are in the city of FT Worth. They have gone up all over that area in the past 2 years. All along North Tarrant, Basswood, GoldenTriangle, north Beech etc...
They list all the builders in the area and have arrows giving directions...They all say City of Ft Worth (with the long horn logo) SO, I don't see how you can miss them.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:15 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,261 times
It doesn't really make much sense to tell people you live in Fort Worth when you are 15 miles from the city center... Look at it this way-- I live in Heritage and can get to Keller's city center in 2 minutes, but it takes me 30 - 40 minutes to get to Fort Worth's city center. So where do I live?
I put Keller as the city on all my mail and the mailman appreciates it =), in fact he crosses out Fort Worth on anything sent to my house and writes Keller... Maybe it is a zip code issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth