U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:02 PM

9,050 posts, read 17,355,041 times

Advertisements

Lesson learned here on this CD thread (we learn so much here, love the intellect on this site). I opened this thread up with a genuine question. A dumb ass ignorrant redneck is all "stay outta Fort Worth." I could have stooped to the lowlife level of ignorrance portraid in that statement and written off Fort Worth entirely OR Keep it real, as it was followed up by welcoming greetings from fine folks like yourselves that left a really good impression on me.

Cheers!....

Cap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 07:53 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,329,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Lesson learned here on this CD thread (we learn so much here, love the intellect on this site). I opened this thread up with a genuine question. A dumb ass ignorrant redneck is all "stay outta Fort Worth." I could have stooped to the lowlife level of ignorrance portraid in that statement and written off Fort Worth entirely OR Keep it real, as it was followed up by welcoming greetings from fine folks like yourselves that left a really good impression on me.

Cheers!....

Cap
Just remember there are stupid people everywhere.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:01 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,020,256 times
I'm gay and partnered and went to grad school in Fort Worth, as well as moving back there for a couple of years after my partner and I spent some time living in Colorado. In total we spent about 6 and half years there between the mid-1970s and mid-1980s. We didn't experience any overt discrimination and I don't think there was any covert hostility either. However, I didn't experience any sense of a gay community -- perhaps things have changed somewhat since then. Fort Worth is pretty slow, laid back and family oriented relative to Dallas. Since I was also working full time during grad school, I had no time on my hands and really didn't notice much besides work and school. I was less satisfied when we moved back there later and would have preferred Dallas in a lot of ways the second time round. I'm sure things have improved in Fort Worth over the intervening years, though I'm also sure the basic character of the city has remained the same.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:19 AM

16,502 posts, read 20,061,098 times
It's how people feel about people counts more than how people view or think of other people. Emotions will always rule over reason and logic. It's simply being human. Being Gay myself, I get nervous and suspicious about all this politically correct labeling, and I don't feel comfortable with it at all.

Thank God, I'm intelligent enough to realize that, that how others view me, emotionally, is where the truth lies.

Ironically, I oftentimes appreciate those that shoot from the hip, than those that dig into their left brains for that politically correct term to describe me.

The Gay-friendly term is meaningless to me. Where did they ever come up with this term? I'd be more comfortable with the term Gay-tolerant.

If I were to move to DFW, I'd probably choose FW as well, perhaps more of a potential for meeting up with the people I'm more seeking, more working-class, down-to-earth people.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:38 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,020,256 times
I'm sorry if it's already been mentioned on this thread, but there was an incident a couple of years ago in which the Ft Worth police basically raided one of the gay bars there, brutalized some of the patrons and made arrests. You would have thought it was the pre-Stonewall era. This was an anomaly AFAIK, but certainly was concerning. I do believe the police dept was forced to repudiate those actions, yet it would be much harder to imagine that happening in Houston, Dallas or Austin. Still, when I lived in FW I'm unaware of anything like that happening. If one is into the bar scene, I think in general it would be more satisfactory over in Dallas.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I'm sorry if it's already been mentioned on this thread, but there was an incident a couple of years ago in which the Ft Worth police basically raided one of the gay bars there, brutalized some of the patrons and made arrests. You would have thought it was the pre-Stonewall era. This was an anomaly AFAIK, but certainly was concerning. I do believe the police dept was forced to repudiate those actions, yet it would be much harder to imagine that happening in Houston, Dallas or Austin. Still, when I lived in FW I'm unaware of anything like that happening. If one is into the bar scene, I think in general it would be more satisfactory over in Dallas.
I was surprsied nobody else brough that up. I sorta remember that happening but wasn't 100% sure if it was in Fort Worth, which coompelled me to ask the question. A lot of people in the DFW area including some residents of Dallas really like Fort Worth so I was wondering what kind of town it was. I'm in my 30's so I couldn't care less about the bar scene, I go about once a season so the trek to Dallas wouldn't be difficult. I was just wondering in terms of making friends and residetial life what being Gay in Fort Worth was like. But I'm glad you brought up the FW police incident because crap like that should not be ignored or forgotten.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:36 AM

165 posts, read 331,976 times
The Rainbow Club incident occured on June 28, 2009 and involved a raid by agents of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) and the Fort Worth PD. Although it coincided with the Stonewall riots 40 years earlier in NYC, no evidence has come forward to show the raid timing was deliberate. In the raid, about a dozen patrons of the Rainbow Club Lounge on South Jennings street on the city's Southside were arrested and taken into custody for alleged violations of Texas liquor laws. One individual, who was said to have been intoxicated and combative, (but that was never proven) sustained a severe concussion and head injury which required emergency medical intervention at a local hospital. The individual has since recovered.

As word got out about the incident, protests from gay and individual rights groups both locally, state-wide, and nationally were swiftly forthcoming. Fort Worth's openly gay councilman, Joel Burns, condemned the incident and called for an immediately and thorough investigation which has since been completed. The investigation found that the raid was largely the fault of the TABC agents as the Fort Worth PD officers were on the scene mainly as a backup. Disciplinary actions have since been taken against the TABC agents and the Rainbow Club Lounge continues to operate openly without harassment or further incidents.

The damage to the City of Fort Worth's reputation is more difficult to quantify, but city leaders have tried hard in recent years to portray the City as progressive, diverse, and tolerant. While the incident was unfortunate and regrettble, it did heighten awareness of the importance of individual rights and tolerance in this city. Gays in Fort Worth still remain a smaller minority than in nearby Dallas, but in the 25 years I've lived in this area I've not heard anyone complain about gays.

In my neighborhood, Samuels Avenue, (the oldest in Fort Worth) on the northeastern edge of downtown, the nicest restored Victorian era home on our street is owned by a pleasant gay couple. Given the gentrification and redevelopment that is on-going, I expect the future resident mix of my neighborhood to include a sizable segment from the GLBT community. My wife and I have many good friends from that community and I'm not trying to be politically correct or score points, it is simply a fact and has been for many years. I think you'll find Fort Worth to be as tolerant a city as anywhere else in Texas but as you have already found out, there are still a few backward Neanderthal types embedded in the mix. No place is perfect, but if you ever find such a place, please keep it a secret so it doesn't get spoiled...

Old 04-07-2010, 06:58 PM

180 posts, read 388,125 times
Thanks, Vintrest, for presenting the facts. I would just like to add that the Fort Worth Police Department also named a liaison to the LGBT community after the incident.

And the below is interesting. Fort Worth can't be all that intolerant...

Tarleton State University student's canceled gay Jesus play will run in Fort Worth | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

Old 04-07-2010, 10:27 PM

165 posts, read 331,976 times
I might also add that the Fort Worth Modern Art Museum here is currently running an Andy Warhol retrospective: Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth (http://www.themodern.org/onview.html - broken link) Andy was a great American artist, the fact that he was gay is coincidental and of little importance. Fort Worth is actively trying to attract more members from the creative classes; artists, musicians, and designers seem to do quite well here. The city has a world-class arts establishment and several renowned museums in the cultural district. The unique Bass Peformance Hall has also proven to be a great attaction for patrons of the performance arts. Pianist Van Cliburn, (who also happens to be gay) has put Fort Worth on the international music map with his prestigious annual piano compentition. I could go on, but to use the isolated Rainbow Club incident of last summer to catgorize Fort Worth as being unfriendly toward gays, is truly unfair and incorrect.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:21 AM

I'm amazed at what a 180 this thread had turned into. I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or