U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2010, 02:07 PM
 
2 posts, read 5,046 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Thank you for this thread and the clarification. My partner and I are moving to FT. Worth from the DC area and I was a little concerned about the raied. In DC we are completely out to everyone and have absolutely no problems. I'm a little concerned about TX but we have no intentions of going in the closet to make other people more comfortable. Not only am I a lesbian, I am a born and raised New Yorker, a liberalm(perhaps flaming by TX standards) and an atheist. In some ways, I'm wondering more about the rest of my attributes being a hindrance to finding new friends in Ft. Worth. Anybody out there with input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2010, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
165 posts, read 331,459 times
Reputation: 147
Balehay,

I can think of no reason why you and/or your partner would encounter any problems here. The owner of the aforementioned Rainbow Club lounge was later interviewed and said business actually picked up considerably after the infamous June 2009 raid. Texas as a whole is conservative politically and culturally but it has figures as diverse as Geo. Bush I and II as well as Willy Nelson, the band ZZ Top and Kinky Friedman. A former Baptist church in my downtown neighborhood has changed in recent weeks to a New-Age "City Church" with the objective of creating a neighborhood "intentional community" Village involving neighbors helping neighbors posted on its website. Sounds almost "California-like" to me. (after having lived in Sonoma Co. California for a couple of years, 2006-2007, before returning to Fort Worth) Downtown Fort Worth has some interesting characters as well...my son was approached by missionaries from a church claiming Marijuana as a sacrament seeking to petition for legal status while others report about well-intentioned teetotalling proselytizers sometimes staking out downtown eateries and pubs to preach the evils of alcohol to indifferent and annoyed patrons coming out of these establishments. Atheists have a place here too as do Muslims, Buddhists, and Scientologists. Religion or the lack therof is not a major issue here; the increasingly busy traffic on local roads, is. Hot summers as well. Too many pesky mosquitoes.

Don't even think about having to come here closeted; although FW is not as culturally liberal as San Francisco, it isn't stuck in the repressive 1930's either. We do, like all large cities, (including even SF) have a few vocal bigots, but they certainly are not a majority here. Fort Worthians and Texans as a whole tend to take a live and let live attitude towards others based on mutual respect. In recent decades, the trickle of newcomers to the DFW area from northern and eastern U.S. states (not to mention many foreign countries) has gone from a trickle to a torrent, so don't be surprised if you meet some ex-patriates who've recently moved here. We do need more liberal minded people locally to help balance the mix. I hope others will be willing as well to share their views fairly and objectively. Best wishes for your relocation plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,288,060 times
Reputation: 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
:-)


Dallas, imo, is one of the most problematic cities around. It is not what it used to be by any means, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, in terms of living there or frankly, even visiting, but that's just my take on it.
Why do you feel that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 10:35 PM
 
Location: TEXAS
378 posts, read 357,031 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Why do you feel that way?
It's not the Dallas I remember from the 70's when it really thrived, seemed classier, was energetic, a fun place to visit.

My comment about "problematic" stems from the fact that it has become so common (it's practically expected now) for the news to report yet another scandal of some sort within the DISD or local government. Others have told me their image of Dallas is not money or classy neighborhoods or shopping or nightlife - it's about ethical/political scandals.

But then again, other people may have an entirely different take on Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Greenville, Delaware
4,726 posts, read 10,004,512 times
Reputation: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayhale View Post
Thank you for this thread and the clarification. My partner and I are moving to FT. Worth from the DC area and I was a little concerned about the raied. In DC we are completely out to everyone and have absolutely no problems. I'm a little concerned about TX but we have no intentions of going in the closet to make other people more comfortable. Not only am I a lesbian, I am a born and raised New Yorker, a liberalm(perhaps flaming by TX standards) and an atheist. In some ways, I'm wondering more about the rest of my attributes being a hindrance to finding new friends in Ft. Worth. Anybody out there with input?

Having lived in Texas for the greater part of my life at various stretches, including two times in Fort Worth, I would say that being a New Yorker (sadly) could be more of a problem than being an out lesbian. Ditto your atheism, if you are out about that and not quite tactful -- it would be more off-putting to many people than being gay. Frankly -- and others may disagree with me -- I think the atheism is far more likely to offend cultural sensitivities than being gay. I should perhaps further clarify that I'm a native-born gay, liberal Christian Texan. I have, BTW, no real desire to return to Texas to live, although Austin where I lived for many years has a really good quality of life. I would never seriously think of living in Fort Worth, where I went to graduate school and where I was actually quite satisfied for several years. I do think that coming from DC you may find Fort Worth a bit of a culture shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,288,060 times
Reputation: 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post

My comment about "problematic" stems from the fact that it has become so common (it's practically expected now) for the news to report yet another scandal of some sort within the DISD or local government. Others have told me their image of Dallas is not money or classy neighborhoods or shopping or nightlife - it's about ethical/political scandals.

But then again, other people may have an entirely different take on Dallas.
I believe it has to be somewhere in between. DISD could easily be the most corrupt school system in the US. I have two good friends who work for DISD and I do hear horror stories.

But other than DISD, I dont know of too many other scandals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,288,060 times
Reputation: 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayhale View Post
Thank you for this thread and the clarification. My partner and I are moving to FT. Worth from the DC area and I was a little concerned about the raied. In DC we are completely out to everyone and have absolutely no problems. I'm a little concerned about TX but we have no intentions of going in the closet to make other people more comfortable. Not only am I a lesbian, I am a born and raised New Yorker, a liberalm(perhaps flaming by TX standards) and an atheist. In some ways, I'm wondering more about the rest of my attributes being a hindrance to finding new friends in Ft. Worth. Anybody out there with input?
I dont think you need to stay in the closet or not be an atheist, but people anywhere dont like people to be in their face about anything. I dont think if a Texan went to New York and started talking about how conservative they are and how great Texas is that New Yorkers would like it very much.

Its the same everywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 01:34 PM
 
1,064 posts, read 3,022,462 times
Reputation: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
It's not the Dallas I remember from the 70's when it really thrived, seemed classier, was energetic, a fun place to visit.

My comment about "problematic" stems from the fact that it has become so common (it's practically expected now) for the news to report yet another scandal of some sort within the DISD or local government. Others have told me their image of Dallas is not money or classy neighborhoods or shopping or nightlife - it's about ethical/political scandals.

But then again, other people may have an entirely different take on Dallas.
I have to agree. There is always some scandal going on with the city council or DISD. It is embarrassing. I live sooo close to both Tarrant and Denton county and it irks me that I pay Dallas county taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Greenville, Delaware
4,726 posts, read 10,004,512 times
Reputation: 2584
Actually, when I lived in Fort Worth they seemed to have one of the most quietly functioning city governments I've ever encountered. Certainly Dallas, Houston and Austin are all much more politicized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2010, 05:57 PM
 
180 posts, read 387,686 times
Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I believe it has to be somewhere in between. DISD could easily be the most corrupt school system in the US. I have two good friends who work for DISD and I do hear horror stories.

But other than DISD, I dont know of too many other scandals.
I think recently a few Dallas city council persons were convicted and sent to prison for bribery and corruption. And the Dallas County government has long been a forum for race baiting, budget battles, chair fights, jail management malfeasance, and general mayhem. Other than that, it's a shining city on a mud flat...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top