Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:16 PM

165 posts, read 396,675 times

Advertisements

You're welcome, just as you will be welcomed in Fort Worth. Just please don't mention you're from a Yankee state...just kidding! Out-of-staters almost outnumber the natives in the DFW metroplex and add to the dynamic energy and diversity found here. Here's wishing you great success in your new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:36 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintrest View Post
You're welcome, just as you will be welcomed in Fort Worth. Just please don't mention you're from a Yankee state...just kidding! Out-of-staters almost outnumber the natives in the DFW metroplex and add to the dynamic energy and diversity found here. Here's wishing you great success in your new home.
My definition of Yankee is a demonic baseball team in New York City. I find the Red Sox a much more agreeable discussion, lol.

I'm looking forward to getting down there.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 PM

165 posts, read 396,675 times
According to a Fort Worth Star-Telegram immediate release, the performance of the Corpus Christi play at a local theater has been cancelled. Such a play would have been considered "edgy" in almost any location and it's cancellation in Fort Worth shows there is still room for expanding freedom of expression locally. Almost anything that is controversial with religious overtones is difficult to sell not only in Fort Worth but in Texas as a whole. Texas is, after all, one of the most politically conservative states in the U.S. with a strong fundamentalist Christian base. Just wanted to share that item in the interest of accuracy.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:28 AM

76 posts, read 217,207 times
I remember reading the online readers' comments over news reports on the Rainbow incident, on both Star Telegram and Dallas Morning news websites. I saw a lot more gay bashing comments on ST site than on the DMN sites. Fort Worth is Okay, if you go beyond the flashy cover of sundance square, you will find that FW is bland, though Dallas may be a little better but with not as friendly people. I recomemnd that you visit first.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citislicker View Post
I remember reading the online readers' comments over news reports on the Rainbow incident, on both Star Telegram and Dallas Morning news websites. I saw a lot more gay bashing comments on ST site than on the DMN sites. Fort Worth is Okay, if you go beyond the flashy cover of sundance square, you will find that FW is bland, though Dallas may be a little better but with not as friendly people. I recomemnd that you visit first.
Ya know I lived in the Gay neighborhood of Seattle through most of my 20's and I found that gay's there did a pretty good job of bashing themselves. I'm not painting the majority of them but it was certainly noticeable that with the bar scene nearby a lot of them had a poor attitude and were on a path of self destruction. So that would keep me from moving to places like Oak Lawn or Uptown. Especially if they have a reputation for being not friendly I have a pretty good idea of what it's already like.

Thus that is what sparked my question about Fort Worth. A large enough gay community to make me feel comfortable that I could meet people, but minus the attitude. Thus far I like what has been written on the thread so I'm looking forward to seeing Fort Worth.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:15 PM

378 posts, read 424,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Thus that is what sparked my question about Fort Worth. A large enough gay community to make me feel comfortable that I could meet people, but minus the attitude. Thus far I like what has been written on the thread so I'm looking forward to seeing Fort Worth.
Hi, I was going to ask you a question and you somewhat answered it in the above quote . . . I can understand your inquiry about whether the gay community is large enough to meet people, but my original question was going to be why would you find it necessary to move anywhere openly identifying yourself as a "gay person"?

In other words, why not inquire about the overall city as ANY person would?

It's interesting to me that the very people who consider themselves to be in any minority or special sort of segregated status in America are generally the very first ones to segregate themselves via labels.

Unless you come into Fort Worth carrying a banner declaring that you're gay, why wouldn't you generally get along with other citizens of the city, just as well or not, as anyone else?

Old 04-10-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
Hi, I was going to ask you a question and you somewhat answered it in the above quote . . . I can understand your inquiry about whether the gay community is large enough to meet people, but my original question was going to be why would you find it necessary to move anywhere openly identifying yourself as a "gay person"?

In other words, why not inquire about the overall city as ANY person would?

It's interesting to me that the very people who consider themselves to be in any minority or special sort of segregated status in America are generally the very first ones to segregate themselves via labels.

Unless you come into Fort Worth carrying a banner declaring that you're gay, why wouldn't you generally get along with other citizens of the city, just as well or not, as anyone else?
That's a fair enough question I suppose but I asked for many reasons. As mentioned previously the police raid was pretty alarming - so the question to them would be why did the FW police target gays? Also are there other places in the DFW metroplex besides Dallas where are gay man could live comfortably without being constantly asked, what church do you go to? It's really as fair of a question as is Plano good for families? Some communities have more likeminded people than others.

It's 2010 and Don't Ask Don't Tell and Gay Marriage are hot button issues in politics which is segregation. I have no qualms about identifying myself as gay as it's a big part of who I am. However I'd rather not live in a place where gays were the majority otherwise I'd hike over to Castro in San Francisco or Oak Lawn in Dallas. Been there done that. I thought maybe Fort Worth may be a good option as it's a fairly large city, with character to boot.

I asked because I didn't know and it's not something one finds out by doing a google search. I found most reponses on this thread to be more than satisfactory.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
That's a fair enough question I suppose but I asked for many reasons. As mentioned previously the police raid was pretty alarming - so the question to them would be why did the FW police target gays? Also are there other places in the DFW metroplex besides Dallas where are gay man could live comfortably without being constantly asked, what church do you go to? It's really as fair of a question as is Plano good for families? Some communities have more likeminded people than others.
It was meant to be fair . . . and I can understand your wanting to be around like-minded individuals, with a light mix rather than blatant overload.

I just have a problem with so many labels swirling around society these days. It seems to me the biggest label-makers are the very ones who talk the most and more loudly about equality and fairness to all.

To those who rant about equality, I would say ok, you want equality, you want people to just be people, so stop identifying yourself outside all these lines and boundaries and barriers . . . don't BE a woman, don't BE black or hispanic, don't BE gay . . . just BE.

My two cents worth.

Good luck in FW.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
It was meant to be fair . . . and I can understand your wanting to be around like-minded individuals, with a light mix rather than blatant overload.

I just have a problem with so many labels swirling around society these days. It seems to me the biggest label-makers are the very ones who talk the most and more loudly about equality and fairness to all.

To those who rant about equality, I would say ok, you want equality, you want people to just be people, so stop identifying yourself outside all these lines and boundaries and barriers . . . don't BE a woman, don't BE black or hispanic, don't BE gay . . . just BE.

My two cents worth.

Good luck in FW.
I agree with most of what you're saying and I would go so far as to say your way of thinking is a little ahead of our time. But we'll get there :-)

Old 04-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I agree with most of what you're saying and I would go so far as to say your way of thinking is a little ahead of our time. But we'll get there :-)
:-)

Are you going to come down to FW and stay a few days to look around and get a feel of the area? These days, it's quite daunting to find a good place to live, especially traveling a long distance. But there's a great advantage to having the financial ability to visit, look around, and take a little time in deciding. We had to make a couple of moves a long time ago, and did not have that ability, so we ventured in - sight unseen. Big mistakes.

Curious, any particular reason you're leaving Boston? Just want a change? I've never been, but always thought Boston would be an interesting place to visit.

I read back over this thread, and I'll throw this in:
Dallas, imo, is one of the most problematic cities around. It is not what it used to be by any means, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, in terms of living there or frankly, even visiting, but that's just my take on it. I much prefer FW, as a city goes . . . but if you're looking for something beyond clubs and nightlife, Texas has a great deal to offer in diverse landscape and charming rural towns with interesting history, from West Texas to East Texas. And I don't know if you've ever been, but you might really enjoy the Hill Country - lots of scenic views, an artsy feel, from Luckenbach and Fredericksburg to Austin and all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth