U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,689,984 times

Advertisements

You might also check out Harmony and Summit charter schools in Tarrant county........

Old 07-08-2010, 05:52 PM

180 posts, read 387,686 times
Ya' know, the harpies that troll this forum and continually bash the Fort Worth Independent School District make me want to stick a pen in my eye. Yep, the lily white suburbs in Tarrant County score high on the bureaucrats' tests. But, as a very successful grad of Fort Worth's public school system, and as a relative of affluent Fort Worthian's who are more than pleased with the local public schools (Tanglewood Elementary, Monnig Middle, Arlington Heights High, Daggett Elementary, Daggett Middle, Paschal High, McLean Middle, Westcliff Elementary, Dunbar Magnet, I could go on and on)! If you move to Fort Worth and limit your choices because you're afraid for your children to interact with a culturally diverse student body, you're missing a wonderful opportunity for your kids to prepare for the real world and for you to live in some of the most beautiful neighborhoods in North Texas (sorry, Keller and Flower Pot have a few years to go). Fort Worth has some stellar private schools as well. In my skewed opinion, if one must live in North Texas, and doesn't live in central Dallas or central Fort Worth, one might as well live in Waco...

Old 07-09-2010, 07:25 AM

27,461 posts, read 44,959,956 times
Arlington Heights High School has an unacceptable rating from Texas Education agency--
as much as I think there can be problems with the ratings from TAKS scores in evaluating schools--
to earn an UNACCEPTABLE score a school is pretty bad in several areas...
Daggett Middle is also rated UNACCEPTABLE--
I am sure there are probably good teachers in those schools and students who do get a good education BUT I just can't suggest that parents enroll their children in schools with those ratings...especially if they are moving into the FTW area and have lots of choices for where to rent/buy/live...
those schools--especially Arlington Heights-- have had problems for long time because earning that low a rating takes a process of attrition over time--and the FTW ISD is the one who has failed to come up with a solution--
Because there are so many schools with low ratings--because the district has a history of waffling leadership, poor decisions, financial disarray at times--it is NOT a strong district in comparison to others

don't think that ALL suburban districts are like Carroll Southlake==there are several districts that have a high level of economic disadvantaged/multi-ethnic/ESL students--and they do a better job than FTW ISD educating those students and being fiscally better managed...

No one has trashed Paschal High--I have always said that it has an extremely successful program for its accelerated students and probably does well for those students who want to succeed even if they are not in the AP strand... but the fact that Paschal draws an overwhelming number of students from OTHER FTW ISD schools who basically know that their local school is not going to cut it just shows that people WITHIN the district are some of its worst critics--

if they were happy with the education at their local high schools--there would be no line of parents waiting for 3-4-5 days to enroll their children for the district's transfer program...
FTWISD has some excellent elementary programs but frankly their middle schools are hurting generally and at least two of their high schools came close to being closed down...
not my opinion--just facts...

Old 07-09-2010, 05:32 PM

180 posts, read 387,686 times
Other than the bureaucrat scores (TAKS), those are all opinions. And I know folks who would repudiate every one of them.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:08 PM

19 posts, read 32,534 times
Paschal and Heights are probably your best bets for FWISD.

I know South Hills had that gun drama a couple of years ago, Poly either did shut down or almost did, Eastern Hills is just an overall bad school, and I played football with a kid who transferred from Dunbar and he said that kids would just smoke weed in the hallways between classes.

I don't really know much about any of the other schools in the FWISD.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:05 AM

33 posts, read 70,205 times
Obviously those who write how bad the schools in Fort Worth ISD are haven't ventured out to other cities and states. What you consider bad isn't really that bad. Just putting that out there.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:07 AM

The teachers is Fort Worth ISD work very hard to educate their students. I see this on a daily basis and I am proud of each of them. Keep up the good work teachers and do know that I do appreciate what you do each and every day. Keep on keeping on!

Old 07-10-2010, 11:08 AM

Thank you Rogramjet!

Old 07-10-2010, 11:10 AM

The world does not revolve around testing!!!

Old 07-15-2010, 06:54 PM

211 posts, read 415,947 times
My kids went through Tanglewood, McLean and Paschal. Then graduated from TCU and now hold good jobs. The public schools are what you make of them! Sure there are gangs there, and drugs, and pregnant 14 year olds, but my kids didn't run around with them. They were athletes and semi-scholars. They weren't even in the AP courses at Paschal! You don't have to do that to be successful, trust me.

Many of our friends went to Heights. It is a wonderful school also. More Anglo than Paschal and not as academically accelerated, but a lot of great kids, parents and athletic teams.

I am a huge supporter of the FWISD.

That said....I currently work at one of the most prominent independent schools in FW, Fort Worth Country Day. It is also a great school, if you can afford it. I think that one of my children would have benefited from a FWCD education, the other one was fine without it. Who knows?

My point is...please do not discount the FWISD or the education it provides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or