Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Ovl Ovl started this thread

9 posts, read 23,795 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at the crimemapping around the houses off chapel creek rd. It seems like a lot of nicer neighborhoods on google maps and a lot less crime when I compared to some other homes I found. However, there still seems to be a breaking and entering in the neighborhoods, theft from cars, etc every week! I live in a suburb of new orleans have never been scared this much of crime!!! And I've lived in very nice neighborhoods and before in some decent. We have never experienced any type of crime in my life. Is it just because ft worth has this crime mapping whereas most places don't that it seems so much more prevalent?? I'm seriously stressing and getting depressed about our move now. I know it can't be that unsafe in even the nicer neighborhoods. Is there another town I should be looking in?? I'm sorry, I just have a 2 yr old daughter and have been reading the news there about break ins..just freaking out. Any info, suggestions..is it really that bad??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 11:12 PM

48 posts, read 123,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovl View Post
I've been looking at the crimemapping around the houses off chapel creek rd. It seems like a lot of nicer neighborhoods on google maps and a lot less crime when I compared to some other homes I found. However, there still seems to be a breaking and entering in the neighborhoods, theft from cars, etc every week! I live in a suburb of new orleans have never been scared this much of crime!!! And I've lived in very nice neighborhoods and before in some decent. We have never experienced any type of crime in my life. Is it just because ft worth has this crime mapping whereas most places don't that it seems so much more prevalent?? I'm seriously stressing and getting depressed about our move now. I know it can't be that unsafe in even the nicer neighborhoods. Is there another town I should be looking in?? I'm sorry, I just have a 2 yr old daughter and have been reading the news there about break ins..just freaking out. Any info, suggestions..is it really that bad??

Hi Ovl, I have the same worries about Fort Worth. Either people here just get used to crime happening all around them or I'm crazy for expecting there to be pockets of areas that are crime free (at least no criminal activity for several weeks at a time). This whole city is a mystery to me but I'm sure that there are areas that aren't so ghetto. Good luck to you!

Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 AM

150 posts, read 418,434 times
Personally, we've had no problems with crimes in the Fort Worth/Saginaw area. We grew up in TX, but spent the past several years at an Army post and surprisingly saw more crime in that area than we have here! We have two small children and love our part of town. The worst thing that has happened has been our neighbor's house getting toilet-papered on the last day of school last year Sure, there are questionable areas, but I think every town has that. My recommendation is driving through your desired area morning, noon, and night and just see how the neighborhood functions. You can move into a neighborhood with nothing on the crime map, like mine, but that doesn't guarantee the crime staying out forever.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
folks--think about what crimes are being discussed here--
crimes like burglary, car break-in, thefts--those are 99% of the time done by OUTSIDERS to the neighborhood who come in via auto, break in/steal, and leave...
your NEIGHBORS aren't doing that--people who live in other areas of town or even other towns are the ones committing the crimes--
how can you stop it--live in a gated community??? Maybe but it is likely even those areas have just reduced crime levels...
neighborhood watch groups are helpful--living in area that is OFF the freeway is also likely to cut down chances for random crime

crimes like vandalism--damaging cars parked on the street, breaking windows, whatever--those can be done by people within a neighborhood but again are often done by those who travel outside their own to other areas--maybe gang related or rival schools--maybe not--but most pests don't soil their nests...

my suggestion is to buy copy of the FTW paper where the police calls for the past week are reported by cities/streets and you can see how much crime is in a town in one week...
I think it is the Saturday version but you can call the paper and find out--I tried to look for it at the star telegram web site and could not pull it up--they may not make the printed article available on-line

over the years of living in Bedford, I have seen the list for Bedford grow--most of the crimes are located in specific areas that have more retail and more apartments vs neighborhoods--but there are crimes in home areas--the neighborhood we lived in RARELY had any police calls--
this crime map
Dallas-Fort Worth Crime
lists ASSAULT as one broad category--so you can't tell if that is a fist fight in a bar parking lot, a rape, a spousal abuse charge which makes it difficult to separate out how likely YOU might be threatened if it occurred in your neighborhood

and this link to stats in FTW (not neighborhing towns) shows that burglaries are up and murders are down--although there have been several in the news lately...
Violent crimes in Fort Worth fell in 2009 while property crimes increased | Mom2MomDFW.com
and this is 2008 and 2009 stats--again for FTW
http://media.star-telegram.com/smedi...filiate.58.pdf

frankly I was surprised to see the number of auto thefts was down...

Old 04-15-2010, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, assaults and many categories didn't worry me as much. My mom lives in a very nice neighborhood in LA and her neighbors have had their cars broken into..well the doors were unlocked but still lol. So even a car break in here and there doesn't bother me as much but when I see breaking and entering in a street not far from where I'm looking..that I can't handle. I've never known anybody whose home has been broken into the 18 yrs I've lived here. I don't know if it'd be worth it to buy an alarm system? I'm sure the chances your home will be broken into are very slim but knowing it's happened not far away would make me so paranoid and I'd hate to live in fear. Well, I'll just pray we'll find a nice, family friendly area and hope my fears will be for nothing

Old 04-15-2010, 09:37 AM

Another thing to consider is how the subdivisions are being built now...most of the homes with little backyards and no room to mow between houses. Looking at the crime map and seeing all those "dots" in one area could be alarming as well!

Saginaw has several beautiful and "safe" neighborhoods...The Courts of Willow Creek, The Dominion, Willow Creek, The Commons are just a few. Most of those are located near the city park, where you have a walking trail, baseball field, basketball court, tennis courts, pavallions, playgrounds, and so on...beautiful area! If you're limited to only looking at a map, Knowles is the road you are looking for, where the park is located. I've noticed homes are more expensive around that area of course, but the more affordable areas aren't far away from there at all. In fact, Remington Point (the subdivision you were originally looking at) is right off of Longhorn, which runs to the side of the park

Old 04-15-2010, 10:33 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovl View Post
Thanks for the replies! Yeah, assaults and many categories didn't worry me as much. My mom lives in a very nice neighborhood in LA and her neighbors have had their cars broken into..well the doors were unlocked but still lol. So even a car break in here and there doesn't bother me as much but when I see breaking and entering in a street not far from where I'm looking..that I can't handle. I've never known anybody whose home has been broken into the 18 yrs I've lived here. I don't know if it'd be worth it to buy an alarm system? I'm sure the chances your home will be broken into are very slim but knowing it's happened not far away would make me so paranoid and I'd hate to live in fear. Well, I'll just pray we'll find a nice, family friendly area and hope my fears will be for nothing
Take into consideration what you don't see on the crime reports.....a break in could have been a teen boyfriend attempting to see a teen girl (or vice versa) and got caught by the parents, or a separated spouse sneaking in to retrieve things they want. Any number of things that are likely house/family specific and not random.

Looking at just a crime report would cause people to not even consider one local neighborhood because of a very violent multiple murder. However, it was an ex boyfriend who killed his ex girlfriend and her teen son, wounded the woman's grown daughter and then killed himself, leaving a toddler unhurt. It was specific to that house, that family, sadly.

So it's not all black and white....just a thought.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
many burglaries are drug related
and frankly the rise in burlaries is due to the economy--
there are lot of people in Texas that are hurting (not that that excuses crime)--
downturns in the economy are usually reflected with uptick in burglary, car theft
sometimes because people look for any way to get money and sometimes because they are laid off and just into mischief...
many police depts now have officers patrolling the freeways and busy streets looking to write more tickets for speeding, expired inspection sticker, etc...vs patrolling neighborhoods on crime watch...another victim of lower tax revenues...

Old 04-20-2010, 11:14 AM

Any opinions on these neighborhoods if you may know of them...

Alexandra Meadows
Fossil Hill Estates
Villages of Marine Creek
Another home is in the neighborhood behind the kohls/home depot off main st and n tarrant pkwy in keller. I'm just not sure how the commute would be to lockheed, may be a bit longer than we'd like.

Any opinions would be appreciated

Old 04-20-2010, 12:05 PM

All of them seem to be nice areas. Marine Creek is going to be the shortest commute, since it's further down 820. You will have access to all the stores and restaurants in Lake Worth. Alexandra Meadows is located right off of 35W...a bit more of a commute, but not long at all. Your shopping will either be in Keller or Saginaw. That part of 35W does back up during rush hour, but there are some other ways you could use to get to/from that location. Fossil Hills is going to probably be your furthest drive to Lockheed. You can either drive through Saginaw to get there or take 287. Alot of those subdivisions in that part of town are newer. Your shopping will be in Saginaw. I'm a fan of Saginaw, so I would probably lean towards Fossil Hills first Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth