Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 01:14 AM

55 posts, read 158,409 times

Advertisements

Just curious. What are the jobs like in Fort Worth and Dallas for someone with a BBA degree and tons of experience?

Would like your feedback..Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,981 times
Um, they aren't great in Mineral Wells. Actually, nothing is great in this town unless you are into rednecks, republicans, Tea Partyists, widespread obesity, toothless wonders abound, decrepit neighborhoods, people dipping and spitting everywhere, and retards speeding up and down the main drag in their gargantuan trucks. I think that's a fair assesment of Mineral Wells.

Your best bet is to get a job in Dallas, Ft. Worth, or the immediate surrounding areas. Mineral Wells does not have a culture or economy that supports those wanting more out of life than watching UFC matches and Cowboys games at the local Chilis.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:56 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,539 times
Moderator cut: rude ========

Mineral Wells is a small town west of Fort Worth that used to have quite a draw back in the 20s and 30s as a resort town for the mineral springs (kinda like a Calistoga of sorts).

I have only driven through there once since being here for three years so I am sure you will get someone with more experience. What I have found is that it is a cute little country town that someone shut in the city can't possibly understand.

You will probably have more opportunity in Fort Worth.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-24-2010 at 10:21 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 10:33 AM

165 posts, read 396,675 times
I have to agree with Guingirl, stereotyping an entire town does little to help understand it. I also have to wonder about the original posting which is titled "Anyone from Mineral Wells Out there?" then goes on to ask about jobs in DFW for someone with a BBA degree and tons of experience. There seems to be a disconnect between the title and the message content.

As for Mineral Wells, it used to be a tourist mecca for health enthusiasts during the late 1800's into the 1900's due to it's famous Mineral Well waters. The town is located 49 miles west of Fort Worth and during the spa era, the "Crazy Water" which was known far and wide, was bottled and shipped for health enthusiasts far away from the town. As late as the 1950's the word "Crazy" was the town's namesake. There were "Crazy" water baths, a "Crazy" restaurant, a "Crazy" barbershop, and many "Crazy" postcards to send back home. Much of the early architecture of Mineral Wells was built for the spa tourist trade and most famous was the huge five-story Hexagon Hotel erected in 1872 on North Oak Avenue and featured on many old postcards. (since demolished) In the 1920's the town's only "skyscraper" hotel was built in Mineral Wells but the spa era soon ended and in recent years the landmark became a senior housing center. Mineral Wells has experienced more setbacks in recent decades; the closing of Fort Wolters at the end of the Vietnam era was a huge economic blow to the town from which it has never completely recovered. The city has tried to adaptively use the former military base as a business park with limited success. A devastating tornado hit the city some decades ago. Mineral Wells and Palo Pinto county has 185% more tornadic activity than the U.S. average. The town is located close to the popular Possum Kingdom Lake and has many scenic sites such as Inspiration Point eight miles south overlooking the Brazos River. While some of the negatives pointed out by the previous poster may be true, the same scenario could be said of many smaller towns across the U.S. where the slower pace of life sometimes leads to boredom. Mineral Wells would be for most people too far for a commute to Fort Worth to work and certainly too far for Dallas.

Now as to the original poster's question about employment in the DFW area, the simple answer is yes, there are jobs for people with BBA degrees and experience depending on the type of business you've worked in. The Texas Workforce Commission, Craigslist, and popular job websites as well as the local DFW Sunday newspapers are all sources of potential job leads. Better to concentrate your efforts in your specific area of expertise and experience. Here's wishing you good luck and you might want to repost your job search question without the Mineral Well's reference.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 AM

394 posts, read 1,257,176 times
Wow, Vintrest! Great post and an interesting read.

-Eric

Old 04-23-2010, 09:35 PM

165 posts, read 396,675 times
Thanks for the kind words, Eric. I love (Texas) history and almost all smaller towns have a history and stories to tell. I also have an invaluable early 1950's Texas Travel Guide by Dr. Rex Z. Howard (deceased) who wrote up historical narratives about many small (and large) Texas towns back then. Mineral Wells was still considered a spa town in those days but was well down from the peak years near the turn of the last century.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:16 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
I lived briefly in Mineral Wells some years ago. It's a rather interesting and geographically pretty place, but there is nothing there and yes, it's too far from Fort Worth. I don't really understand what the OP is looking for, but I'd suggest considering Weatherford if she's looking for a smaller town in close proximity to Fort Worth.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,107 times
May I say,that was an excellent reply. Vintrest. I am from Mineral Wells and although not proud of everything that has gone on there.Mineral Wells is my home.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,620 times
Hi Vintrest. I am writing a book that mentions the Baker Hotel in it. I was wondering, do you know how many people the Baker Hotel employed in the 1950's and whether it was one of the larger employers in the city? Are there any employment rolls or log books for info about employees that you know of? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

D Sherer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintrest View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Eric. I love (Texas) history and almost all smaller towns have a history and stories to tell. I also have an invaluable early 1950's Texas Travel Guide by Dr. Rex Z. Howard (deceased) who wrote up historical narratives about many small (and large) Texas towns back then. Mineral Wells was still considered a spa town in those days but was well down from the peak years near the turn of the last century.

Last edited by dsherer; 10-21-2013 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: mispell

Old 10-21-2013, 11:16 AM

308 posts, read 638,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny_jean_du_jour View Post
Um, they aren't great in Mineral Wells. Actually, nothing is great in this town unless you are into rednecks, republicans, Tea Partyists, widespread obesity, toothless wonders abound, decrepit neighborhoods, people dipping and spitting everywhere, and retards speeding up and down the main drag in their gargantuan trucks. I think that's a fair assesment of Mineral Wells.

Ah, another tolerant liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth