Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 AM

9 posts, read 32,926 times

Advertisements

While searching for a home to purchase, I notice that some say "Mineral rights, if any, stay with this home." What exactly does that mean? Does it mean that within my neighborhood, someone could raze their house and mine or drill? Maybe I'm way off base...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 12:32 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
no.
They drill sideway under the property.
The well could be pretty close or pretty far depending on the area. If they do drill you will get a bit of money for the royalities.
I believe the closest they can be is 500ft. But most are futher than that due to high density of the building. Use Google maps...look at the satelite map and find and "open grassy" area (farm or undeveloped lots) close to the neighborhood...that is more than likely where the drill site will be.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 PM

9 posts, read 32,926 times
Drill sideways? Bizarre. Thanks for the info, that was helpful.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:58 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times
Mineral Rights can be reserved by the seller...if buying the mineral rights is of importance to you, then a proper search through the Deed Records at the Courthouse would be neccessary to track the mineral rights.

it's significant these days b/c of the Barnett Shale Gas Drilling. Drillers are able to drill down and horizontally below large developed land, such as Subdivisions.

Mineral Rights are becoming a negotiating tool for buyers and sellers.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:12 PM

54 posts, read 145,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeByMarzipan View Post
While searching for a home to purchase, I notice that some say "Mineral rights, if any, stay with this home." What exactly does that mean? Does it mean that within my neighborhood, someone could raze their house and mine or drill? Maybe I'm way off base...

You are way off base.

It just means the rights to the minerals are owned by the new owner (presumably you or whoever buys it).

It does not give anyone the right to drill or do anything else on the property.

It is a great thing to buy a house where the mineral rights stay with the home. Frankly, I'm not sure why anyone would buy a house where the mineral rights do not stay with the new owners.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 AM

473 posts, read 1,199,822 times
Unless you have lots of acres its not worth. See article below from a Fort Worth Home owner with gas mineral rights.

Leasing Our Lives Away | Fort Worth Weekly - News, Entertainment, Restaurants, Music

Old 04-28-2010, 11:51 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
Unless you have lots of acres its not worth. See article below from a Fort Worth Home owner with gas mineral rights.

Leasing Our Lives Away | Fort Worth Weekly - News, Entertainment, Restaurants, Music

there's a little more to it than that...all the Gas Company needs is a certain percentage of the mineral owners of a subdivision to sign before they are able to proceed. that's where subdivisions that have a unified stance comes into play...they can all agree to say no to leasing, or possibly agree to a certain bonus/royalty amount.

in the case where everyone signs but you...the Gas Company will drill regardless, you may end up getting a royalty, but you will be denied a bonus.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:14 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,822 times
I agree collective bargaining is a better way. Almost 20 subdivision in Coppell collectively bargained and the last I heard they haven't received any $$$ in the last 2 years.

Coppell Westside Gas Coalition

Old 05-01-2010, 07:13 PM

6 posts, read 52,794 times
Many people are unaware ot the laws about drilling. The drilling ordinance in Fort Worth says 600 feet unless council approves otherwise. The Council almost always says otherwise, they are currently approving drilling within 225 feet of residences. Fort Worth has become a town out of control, particullarly on the East side or District 4.

Even if you don't want to lease your minerals and have drilling next to your house, it will probably hapen. The drilling companies are force pooling many residents against their wishes and forcing their desire to take your gas rights.

The laws in Texas are based on drilling in West Texas, but it is happening in the middle of the cities with the same rules. State laws often trump city ordinances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth