U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:44 PM

1,078 posts, read 3,438,483 times

Advertisements

So, how do they get around the laws requiring them to provide for special needs kids?
With that kind of blatant disregard for children, who would want to send their kids there?
MBG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 10:47 PM

145 posts, read 569,021 times
I wonder if the Westlake IB program are equal to the AP programs in say, the Grapevine-Colleyville ISD who is ranked so high by Newsweek? It would be easier to find an affordable home in Grapevine than in Westlake, that's for sure. So far, I'm not impressed with Keller's Middle and High schools...Anybody have any insight?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:10 AM

27,459 posts, read 44,959,956 times
from my experience in HEB where both high schools offer the IB program in addition to AP/pre-AP curricula and the G/T tracts from junior high on....IB is supposed to be more rigorous than AP and more multi-cultural/worldly content since much of its original appeal was that it would allow students who moved from country to country to maintain the same rigoruous educational envelope. But AP tracts can be just as good a quality of education but their curricula follows the normal course offerings more closely--just intensified--more work to be covered/more demanding standards...

A student can earn college hours for course work done in the junior and senior years and be awarded college credit IF colleges/universities accept the IB-awarded credits...just as juniors and seniors can take the AP tests ... some students take the AP tests if they are in an IB tract at Bell because high scores make good news on college applications...

ALL AP tests however are designed/graded by an independed agency called the College Board -- making them more standardized/accepted where as the IB exit level tests are designed by the schools (with the oversight and approval of the IB body) and sent off to be graded by an IB panel-- which is similar to the AP exams since they are graded off-site by designated graders as well.
However, the IB students do an oral portion which is a video-taped discussion where they are asked questions about course work and have to defend their interpretation much like a master's candidate has to do...that is totally different from an AP test...

Difference lies in the school's IB program design---the courses' content and reqirements...also in what colleges will accept the IB programs's certification of the credits it awards (and those college are increasing because IB students are increasing)...at Bell HS for example in the HEB district--before this year, the AP/pre-AP and the IB-pre-IB classes were merged because of scheduling difficulties, classroom availability, and funding--basically teachers were trained in AP and IB standards. The teacher would run TWO classes in one and have common course work for both sections but also have separate assignments/books/tests for the two strands....

so that the teacher actually had instead of say 4 sections of senior English a tri-mester (HEB has three 12-week semesters instead of 2 semesters with an alternatiing block schedule like most schools ) sometimes 8 sections because there were AP and IB sections in each class period...

sometimes there was an even balance of students from each group but more likely there were 6 IB students and 19 AP ones or 11 AP students and 17 IB--complicated and required real dedication on teachers' and students' parts to make it work...this year they are splitting out the two strands and having individual IB and AP sections hopefully because the IB students are increasing...but it will cause all kinds of scheduling problems since basically you are adding like 12 sections of IB English to cover the 10-11-12 grade levels--and that is just English--I don't know if they are doing that with all departments --math and science and history might not have such divergent curriculas between IB and AP classes...

More schools in US are having IB programs--it used to be pretty rare to find IB tracts in high schools--now it seems almost every large district in TX at least has at least one school w/an IB program.

I would be very curious to know how the elemetary school designed an all-IB curricula and what it includes...my daughter teaches in FL at the magnet G/T school for sarasota county---ALL g/t students go there from grades 2-12....she teaches 3rd grade students on 4th grade curricula--they do use strategies and course design that allows more for the creativity that G/T students are supposed to require but alot of it is just more work--covered in a shorter time--many of her students struggle because they aren't mature enough to do the work required with such high standards...some students probably really don't qualify to be there but FL allows private test results to be used to qualify students for G/T--not just the school's testing/evaluation...and most educators are cynical enough to believe that private psychologists/diagnosticians are easy touches ...some parents will take their children to as many as it takes to get the results they want...

of course--that situation is not happening with the Westlake Academy since attending students are either Westlake residents or lottery draw winners...

Last edited by loves2read; 07-26-2007 at 08:57 AM..

Old 07-26-2007, 09:54 AM

Thanks Loves2. Do you have any insider info. on how Keller Middle and High schools compare to Grapevine-Colleyville? I've seen the numbers, but they don't always tell the whole story and it sounds like you've worked within some of our local school districts. I'm trying to find schools with not only superb academics but really excellent Visual Art programs as well. It appears that Westlake focuses heavily on the IB curriculum with an average arts program and little to no athletics which would explain why the older kids end up leaving.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:01 AM

Can someone tell me when School starts out there, and what the best high school is for a student who needs some special ed?
MBG

Old 07-26-2007, 03:12 PM

School starts 8/27. I can tell you some private schools for special need students, but I don't really know which public ones have good programs. I have heard rumor that Keller, Grapevine-Colleyville, and Southlake all focus more on the G/T and AP students. I'm sorry--I wish I could be more helpful.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:48 PM

if you check out this year's TAKS prelim scores and last year's scores for each school on TEA site you can see how they stack up against each other...but TAKS scores are not the only measure of how good a school is ... the number of students in AP and GT classes--special classes and curricula like Spanish on elementary level, music and art on elementary level show a district is putting money where the state does not require it...upgrading computer networks on campus so that students can have access to front-line computers and software that let them learn real-world skills is important---
haivng parents that do more than come to football games and graduation makes a world of difference to any school
having a district that puts money into classroom instruction and per student spending instead of new astroturf on the football field is something I believe is better value--but some people believe a winning football program is an incentive to take price in school and creates a positive feedback not just from football players..
Sometimes people have unreal expectations for what public schools should deliver--they cannot be all things to all people--

I would venture to say that the percentage of public schools where parents believe they are getting a private-school education is very, very rare--but public school cannot be what most people believe a private school to be--public schools can't afford what it would take for a low-student teacher ratio, public schools have to go to extreme legal measure to exclude troublesome students from their campuses whereas private schools don't...public schools have to meet standards that private schools don't , and they have to support an infrastructure that private schools don't---so they are decidedly two different propositions...

Keller is having lots of growth--that means new schools, staff, students--sometimes those students come from within the district by reapportioning from old school to new, most of the time it comes from people moving into the district from who knows wherre---that makes it very difficult for school's to get all students on same learning curve--some kids come in and are basically one or two years behind because of where they had been going to school...sometimes it is because the families have moved so often the child has not had any consistent education--has not finished a year in the same school s/he started...but the same can be said for some children who are apartment dwellers and live in the same district but move from apt to apt every three months and into a new school each time...

tachers in new schools often are new themselves --either to the district or to teaching altogether--that can be good but a teacher with experience is usually a better teacher on average...
Keller has had conflict with the superintendent and the school board being hositle to each other--that makes it difficult to operate a district properly--now that conflict seems to be ameliorated, it will be interesting to see what results develop...they certainly can't lay the blame on the in-fighting anymore...

SKYBLU--if you are concerned because your schools don't have "superb" academics--how do you quantify that?
What are you looking for with "superb academics"--that usually equates to lots of kids in AP classes and college-bound tracts--high achievers--is it that you refer to?

Interesting letter to editor in FTW Star Telegram this week from teacher at the TreeTops school in Euless--you might want to investigate that--they are supposed to have pretty innovative curricula...

When you say visual arts--do you mean elementary schools with art once a week or an art segment during the semester---are you talking about a variety of art classes in high school like Drawing I and II, Jewelry making, computer graphics? are you talking about students who win city contests for art?
I don't have any insider knowledge about Keller ISD--I did not teach there and don't know anyone now who works there so can't help you...but you could google for high school art winners and tarrant county--that might give some hints...

Last edited by loves2read; 07-26-2007 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-26-2007, 04:21 PM

skyblu--you might also contact the NE Tarrant county art group--they are actively involved with art programs for children and young adults in ne Tarrant county--they might have info about what schools have had strong performers/involvement in past contests

Old 07-26-2007, 06:42 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,384,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Can someone tell me when School starts out there, and what the best high school is for a student who needs some special ed?
MBG
School starts in Texas on August 27.

I have had parents tell me that Plano ISD focuses on their special ed kids and their very high achievers. For instance, one mom with a son with Aspergers said Plano ISD was great for him. It is a tough district for average kids though.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
School starts in Texas on August 27.

I have had parents tell me that Plano ISD focuses on their special ed kids and their very high achievers. For instance, one mom with a son with Aspergers said Plano ISD was great for him. It is a tough district for average kids though.
Is there anything closer to DFW airport?
How about North West ISD, Lewisville and Keller?
Thank you so much!!!
MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth