Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:56 PM

116 posts, read 416,427 times

Advertisements

Now since our move is final I am depressed. Will I be miserable in TX? I am from Europe and spend summers there. Lived in Australia and different parts of USA. Enjoyed living in South Florida as well California. I am trying to be positive but in back of my mind I AM SCARED. Texas does not seem as interesting. I can't stand hunting and shooting and don't like oversized houses. We still have a great home in California and will keep it for the future. I made a deal with my husband that if I absolutely hate it we will move back to our home in 2 years. Will I hate Southlake??? We will be renting a home for now. We are only moving for a great job opportunity. Anybody that recently has moved to Southlake from Europe or California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 03:51 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,557,897 times
frankly most of the people IN Texas don't hunt or shoot--
if you don't like oversized houses rent in neighborhood where there aren't any...

Texas and California share many similarities--there are plenty of people who move here from there and have no problem adjusting...
as for Europe--well, don't know so much about that except that as with any new situation...if you go into it expecting a certain outcome you are likely to get it...

"The lady doth protest too much, me thinks"...as Queen Gertrude said...

Old 05-12-2010, 04:05 PM

119 posts, read 214,815 times
I'll ignore the comment about hunting and shooting. Surely you don't think we're all toting guns on our hips and getting around on horses?

Southlake is full of big houses. I'm guessing that if you can afford Southlake, you can afford private school, so consider a different part of town. Fairmount might be nice for you, the homes are around 100 yrs old and in general that neighborhood has a lot of character and history. The schools are not good however, so that's why I suggest private schools.

The Tanglewood neighborhood is great. The houses are big, but the area very nice - full of big mature tress and center of the neighborhood is veined with bike trails that connect to a larger trail system. The elementary there is rated very well, so no need for private school.

I've spent some time in Europe and I have to agree that Southlake isn't going to make you feel very happy. It will probably make you feel isolated. Southlake and the suburbs in general are most likely going to seem overly new and even artificial. I would advise you to find a place with history (hence my suggestions for some older neighborhoods in town).

If you're locked into your rental, then you'll manage with it until you can move and on the up-side, you'll have time look around Fort Worth and find an area that you can see yourself in. And if you aren't, then look around some more! I'll PM you some links.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:44 PM

Sorry, I did not want to offend anybody. While we were visiting Dallas and friends (more than 3 familes) in Park cities area. All of them were going hunting. I have started to think that a lot of people in Texas like to hunt. Park cities seems like a very nice area. But renting or even buying is very hard. I enjoyed Florida because of the ocean and the strong Latino population. California is just beautiful. We like to ski etc. I am trying to stay positive. We do prefer public schools. I guess I am just having regrets of the decision to move. But again we might be moving again in few years. I should be positive and explore Texas. I am searching for short trips idea. Austin, San Antonio is on my list. Any other recommendations?

Old 05-12-2010, 04:48 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,848,890 times
^ great advice.
some beautiful older homes in downtown Ft Worth...some beautiful neighborhoods etc... and sundance square is very nice as well as the arts district.

If the job is closer to Dallas then look for some great older neighborhoods etc...M streets, Lakewood, even the park cities...you might be able to get a nice rental house in University Park.

I live next to Southlake and yes it has great schools but no not alot of character... Lots of big houses and good shopping etc... but it is suburbia...full of stip shopping centers and no real "town".

I would also suggest Grapevine, it has a nice "historic old" town main street usa etc...and some older more well established neighborhoods with diverse housing and good school

Old 05-12-2010, 04:54 PM

Thanks. The job is in Dallas. University park is nice but there is little inventory for lease.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:47 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,739,007 times
If your husbands job is in Dallas, I am suprised you didn't try to find something over in Lakewood or somewhere in that general vicinity. Southlake can be a haul from Dallas. I am originally from SLC and it used to be alot quicker to get to places but with all the people and traffic now, not so much.
And no, we don't all shoot guns and hunt but if some of us do, so what? What do you care? I know you aren't trying to be rude but when people move here and they have these assumptions already, it just seems narrow minded in my opinion. Texas is nothing like Cali, Europe or FL. You should embrace what TX has to offer. At least you can say that you lived here and then you will be able to say why you did or didn't like TX from first hand knowledge.

As for short trips, try TX hill country. Fredericksburg, Llano, Kerrville, Boerne, Mason, Brady, Burnet, Bandera, etc, etc. etc....anywhere along 281 and west of 281. There are tons of county roads that are gorgeous drives, especially in the spring. East TX can be really pretty also.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 PM

Yes, I agree with you. But being from a different country I wish to be able to relate. Sorry, but I might feel more comfortable in California or Florida. We need to be close to the airport for the job as well. But anyway we are moving. And I need to be open to new adventure. I spend the summers away anyway.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,848,890 times
That commute will not be fun. 114 is a mess and eventhough construction is not being conducted during rush hours.

Plano would be better than Southlake and has some of the best public schools in the area. I am sure there are quite a few rentals in the Plano area.

If you have already signed a lease then make the best of it. esp if it's only 2 years...that goes by soo fast! If I survived living in Lawton OK for 2 years after living in Germany you can survive southlake!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:17 PM

Txtoal: thanks for the recommendations. I will put it on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth