Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:12 PM

14 posts, read 18,547 times

Advertisements

I do not go to downtown Fort Worth often in the evenings. However, this past Friday night I went at 8:30 pm. I parked and began walking to the restaurant where I was meeting a friend. When I reached the corner near the AMC theatre, I noticed about ten men handing out pamphlets. One stopped me and asked if I was saved. I said yes to being saved and no thank you to the pamphlet. Then, he said I didn't look like I was saved because of how I was dressed.

Now, I was wearing a cotton dress that was about 2.5 in above my knees, with a V-neck not low in my opinion, and with short sleeves. The dress was not extremely loose but neither was it form-fitting. I walked away.

About ten feet down, another man from the same group tried to give me another pamphlet. I said no thank you and asked politely if he could please tell the other man to not comment on my clothes. He said, "you're half-naked. You need to save that for your husband. I can see your bosom, and you obviously need to turn to the Lord. Obviously your daddy isn't around and doesn't love you, because if he did, he wouldn't let you out of the house." I walked away during the last sentence, and he raised his voice loudly so I could hear. I'm embarrassed about my own response as I walked away and feel bad. I'd rather not share it.

However, I was shaken by this encounter. Does anyone know if this group is often downtown? I'm sure the police can't do anything about this group saying things to people about cleavage, etc. I didn't have an issue with my outfit and love my dad. I know what I think about myself is what matters, but I feel like this group is going about their mission the wrong way. Why are they trying to get a rise out of people...does that really work to turn people Christian? Is their thinking that as long as they get the word out, they've done their duty. What church is this?

I'm not trying to rant, and I've asked a lot of questions. I guess I'd just like other people's thoughts, opinions, and stories if this has happened to others. I've never had this happen before. I was stunned. I don't understand their rationale. If I ever go again, I'm not going to say one word but I can't believe one was screaming down the street that my daddy must not love me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 09:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,572,942 times
I don't think they are allowed to do stuff like that
I wonder where the Bass cops were
frankly I think you should call the Sundance Sq offices that handles management/leasing and make a complaint...

Old 05-30-2010, 11:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,631,717 times
I tell people like that that I am a "born again Druid" and walk away. If they persist, I invite them to our next sacrifice and sugget they might like to be "it."

Old 05-30-2010, 11:41 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,100,255 times
What a terrible experience. Totally inexcusable. Those people are idiots.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:52 PM

they don't consider themselves to be "idiots" and are such poor examples of Christians--and they would not agree with that opinion either...
they are scary and seem to be what the world is coming to in so many ways--
people who believe it is in YOUR best interest to knuckled under to THEIR point of view...and believe that point of view is American at that...

Old 05-30-2010, 02:52 PM

36 posts, read 93,148 times
I've heard about them on FortWorthArchitecture forum although I haven't had the "pleasure" to encounter them yet. If you are Christian (or even if you're not but don't mind committing a few verses to memory), try to remember this little nugget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 7:1-3
1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. 3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
And if they question you as to what you think that means, tell them that if they act like jerks they will be judged to be jerks, which isn't a very good witness to the risen Lord.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:35 PM

THEY don't consider their behavior is negative and nothing anyone says that tells them that will make a difference...
insulated/indoctrinated/ignorant...

Old 05-30-2010, 07:14 PM

36 posts, read 93,148 times
That's why you use the Bible in discussions; it's all the understand.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:21 PM

378 posts, read 423,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkj24 View Post
I do not go to downtown Fort Worth often in the evenings. However, this past Friday night I went at 8:30 pm. I parked and began walking to the restaurant where I was meeting a friend. When I reached the corner near the AMC theatre, I noticed about ten men handing out pamphlets. One stopped me and asked if I was saved. I said yes to being saved and no thank you to the pamphlet. Then, he said I didn't look like I was saved because of how I was dressed.

Now, I was wearing a cotton dress that was about 2.5 in above my knees, with a V-neck not low in my opinion, and with short sleeves. The dress was not extremely loose but neither was it form-fitting. I walked away.

About ten feet down, another man from the same group tried to give me another pamphlet. I said no thank you and asked politely if he could please tell the other man to not comment on my clothes. He said, "you're half-naked. You need to save that for your husband. I can see your bosom, and you obviously need to turn to the Lord. Obviously your daddy isn't around and doesn't love you, because if he did, he wouldn't let you out of the house." I walked away during the last sentence, and he raised his voice loudly so I could hear. I'm embarrassed about my own response as I walked away and feel bad. I'd rather not share it.

However, I was shaken by this encounter. Does anyone know if this group is often downtown? I'm sure the police can't do anything about this group saying things to people about cleavage, etc. I didn't have an issue with my outfit and love my dad. I know what I think about myself is what matters, but I feel like this group is going about their mission the wrong way. Why are they trying to get a rise out of people...does that really work to turn people Christian? Is their thinking that as long as they get the word out, they've done their duty. What church is this?

I'm not trying to rant, and I've asked a lot of questions. I guess I'd just like other people's thoughts, opinions, and stories if this has happened to others. I've never had this happen before. I was stunned. I don't understand their rationale. If I ever go again, I'm not going to say one word but I can't believe one was screaming down the street that my daddy must not love me.
That is HARASSMENT.

It is also inexcusable and should NOT be tolerated by citizens OR visitors to the area.

I know many people who simply stopped going downtown because they were followed and harassed by those imbeciles.

People need to start calling and writing and filing complaints.

Here is the website for Sundance Square:
Sundance Square Fort Worth - contact

Also, contact the FW Visitors Bureau and the city manager's office.

If they get enough calls and letters from people saying they will STOP spending their $$$ down there, maybe THEN they will do something to get those creeps off the streets.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:14 PM

14 posts, read 18,547 times
Thank you so much for all of your support. I truly appreciate it. I was literally shaking for a while after it happened because it was so shocking. I feel like they would be against anyone who was downtown period, which is pretty presumptuous. I was by myself at that point and don't understand how they can justify harassing a young lady on the street...or anyone...but they're definitely not gentlemen whatsoever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth