Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:22 PM

744 posts, read 1,840,885 times

Advertisements

I have changed my mind. I think it would be good for Fort Worth to get a pro sports team to compete with Dallas'. That would increase the entertainment value of the metroplex. Neighboring cities in my area get a big boost every year when their high school teams compete. Dallas's NBA and NHL teams traveling to play Fort Worth's every year and vice versa would be a big economic boost for the area. I would like to see an NBA or NHL team preferrably, but an NFL team would be good too, preferrably AFC since Dallas has an NFC team already. They could share Cowboy stadium with Dallas in Arlington and save money on a new stadium. I don't think Fort Worth has the revenue to build an arena like American Airlines Center in Dallas, but it could upgrade or build one almost as good. More like one like the Ford Center in OKC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 08:52 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,931,307 times
It would be very nice if Fort Worth had a professional team to compete with Dallas, but I don't think it will happen. Two of the teams associated with Dallas (Texas Rangers and the Cowboys) are already playing in Tarrant County but for all it's worth, they are considered Dallas teams (at least to outsiders).

I would love it if FW had an NHL team or NBA team. Forget about an NFL team; it won't happen in FW in the near term, and probably not in the long term. The Cowboys are too much a part of the culture in this area.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
It would be very nice if Fort Worth had a professional team to compete with Dallas, but I don't think it will happen. Two of the teams associated with Dallas (Texas Rangers and the Cowboys) are already playing in Tarrant County but for all it's worth, they are considered Dallas teams (at least to outsiders).

I would love it if FW had an NHL team or NBA team. Forget about an NFL team; it won't happen in FW in the near term, and probably not in the long term. The Cowboys are too much a part of the culture in this area.

The Cowboys are the Dallas Cowboys. I was talking about a Fort Worth team. For Baseball, maybe a National League team in Dallas and make the Rangers Fort Worth's team.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,402,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
I have changed my mind. I think it would be good for Fort Worth to get a pro sports team to compete with Dallas'. That would increase the entertainment value of the metroplex. Neighboring cities in my area get a big boost every year when their high school teams compete. Dallas's NBA and NHL teams traveling to play Fort Worth's every year and vice versa would be a big economic boost for the area. I would like to see an NBA or NHL team preferrably, but an NFL team would be good too, preferrably AFC since Dallas has an NFC team already. They could share Cowboy stadium with Dallas in Arlington and save money on a new stadium. I don't think Fort Worth has the revenue to build an arena like American Airlines Center in Dallas, but it could upgrade or build one almost as good. More like one like the Ford Center in OKC.
let's get to the bottom of your obsessiveness with this Ft. Worth vs Dallas mentality...

the reality is, Ft. Worth and Dallas, along with the other surrounding cities make up this unique Metroplex, and there is no need for Ft. Worth or Dallas to seek the need to seperate itself from one or the other...yet, you're obsessed with pointing out the greatness of Dallas, b/c of what? some crazy insecurity that Dallas is sub-par??

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post

i believe the only possibility would be NBA, NHL, or MLS...The Texas Rangers are doing good to fill that ballpark, so adding another ballpark in fort worth or dallas would be overkill...not enough demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
The Cowboys are the Dallas Cowboys. I was talking about a Fort Worth team. For Baseball, maybe a National League team in Dallas and make the Rangers Fort Worth's team.
i missed where someone said the cowboys were fort worths team...what are you talking about?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:18 AM

8,592 posts, read 14,762,224 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Fort Worth Cats are a professional sports team. They may not be affiliated with Major League Baseball in any way, shape, or form, but their sanctioning body IS considered a pro league.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:15 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,794,345 times
A NFL team wouldn't survive in Fort Worth and I wouldn't support them because I love my Cowboys, but we would love a NBA team in Fort Worth.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:22 PM

Why NBA?? Why are they so much easier to get??

Old 06-07-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
let's get to the bottom of your obsessiveness with this Ft. Worth vs Dallas mentality...

the reality is, Ft. Worth and Dallas, along with the other surrounding cities make up this unique Metroplex, and there is no need for Ft. Worth or Dallas to seek the need to seperate itself from one or the other...yet, you're obsessed with pointing out the greatness of Dallas, b/c of what? some crazy insecurity that Dallas is sub-par??

i believe the only possibility would be NBA, NHL, or MLS...The Texas Rangers are doing good to fill that ballpark, so adding another ballpark in fort worth or dallas would be overkill...not enough demand.

i missed where someone said the cowboys were fort worths team...what are you talking about?

Yes the metroplex is unique, but you cannot deny that both cities are big cities on their own.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:41 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,946,813 times
It's a really cool idea for Fort Worth to get a professional sports team, the city is now like the 17th largest city in the country! Heck yeah it deserves a team!!

Fort Worth can definitely do an MLS or NBA team.

There really isn't much requirement for either NBA or MLS teams, and I can see Fort Worth getting those, but that's only if it wants it. They're going to have to show that they have no interest in Dallas's teams and that they're a large enough market to support their own. In that case MLS is the easiest for Fort Worth to get.

They can't get NFL, two reasons why:

1. Dallas Cowboys play to close to Fort Worth and another stadium would be a ridiculous amount of money spent, and sharing with the Cowboys wouldn't work out. Plus they are the Cowboys the "All American" team. They're one of the most renowned sports teams in the world. And the 2nd most expensive sports franchise in the world at 1.6 billion only after Manchester United at 1.8 billion.

2. San Antonio is next in line to get an NFL franchise (After Los Angeles).

The problems with the MLB is this, a few reasons here too:

1. The "Texas" Rangers are the team for the whole metroplex, they even play near Fort Worth. And their name isn't signifying it's completely Dallas's team but the official team of the whole Metroplex.

2. The MLB is a rare expansion, they generally don't expand and they are very competitive markets, you have to have strong demand for them to end up in your city. And They're harder to get than NBA or MLS. I know Portland, Charlotte, and Omaha are fighting hard for an MLB team.

Here's the problem with NHL, a few reasons:

1. Houston has been trying for years and it's 2nd in line to get a team by demand, only after Kansas City, and right before Las Vegas in America. And that really cuts it down for Texas.

2. The demand for NHL in the metroplex isn't that high, one team for the metroplex is enough. It was enough for the whole state but Houston's demand for it has increased a lot, and Houston's almost gotten a few break throughs for it, they even have a few financiers readied up for it. So it's out of the question for Fort Worth unless they try to get an NHL team in a few years after Houston.

3. NHL has stated they will not be expanding the league in prospective decades to come.

Okay the problem with the WNBA is this:

1. They've folded a lot of teams in recent years because lets be frank, no one really cares about the WNBA much. The demand is low, and they rarely ever sell out the whole arena.

I think Fort Worth's best shot is at NBA or MLS. Those are easier to acquire, and Fort Worth is certainly proving to be a good market, but they're going to have to want it to get it.

Also to make an Arena for NBA/NHL isn't as expensive as it is for NFL/MLB. MLS is more expensive of a stadium option but not as much as NFL or MLB either.

So I stand firm with the NBA or MLS option for Fort Worth, it's the best shot Fort Worth has got.

As for minor league sports, Fort Worth can basically get any of those going on, that's a sitch as long as it's demand is present to support the team, if they don't have the demand, then they won't get a team. They have to fight strong for one.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:

2. The MLB is a rare expansion, they generally don't expand and they are very competitive markets, you have to have strong demand for them to end up in your city. And They're harder to get than NBA or MLS. I know Portland, Charlotte, and Omaha are fighting hard for an MLB team.

Portland?? I can't believe Seattle even has an NFL and MLB team. Those two towns are pretty sissy.

Omaha doesn't even have a team in any other professional sport. That is going to be a tough sell there.

Charlotte maybe, but many people still think that Charlotte is a small city believe it or not.

Have they thought about San Antonio?? OKC?? Memphis?? Nashville?? Salt Lake City?? Vegas?? Indianapolis?? Columbus?? Jacksonville?? Maybe even El Paso or Austin?? Speaking of El Paso and Austin, both those towns are big enough for pro sports teams too. Perhaps NBA or MLS.

Heck, they could move the Tampa Bay Devil Rays somewhere else, like the cities mentioned. That team is horrible in Tampa/St. Pete and they play in a stadium not fit for major league baseball also.

Last edited by brajohns81; 06-08-2010 at 01:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth