Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 08:17 PM

49 posts, read 251,732 times

Advertisements

Artcgal-I just noticed the other day that Verizon has a package deal with directv, might be something worth looking into. Thanks for the info on Charter. We have them for internet, and my biggest complaint is when I have a problem they won't come and fix it unless I tell them I am canceling my service- then they are out right away. That can totally be a local thing though- glad to hear you haven't had problems with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 09:23 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Hi all, just joined here and this is my first post. :-)

We've had Charter cable for the last 10 months and it's never gone out on us ever. Lots of people I know have Dish and they lose their connection if there's just a slight wind/rain going on.

We also have DSL with AT&T and very rarely have had any issues with it.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 AM

103 posts, read 676,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damiana9 View Post
Artcgal-I just noticed the other day that Verizon has a package deal with directv, might be something worth looking into. Thanks for the info on Charter. We have them for internet, and my biggest complaint is when I have a problem they won't come and fix it unless I tell them I am canceling my service- then they are out right away. That can totally be a local thing though- glad to hear you haven't had problems with them.
We did look into Verizon...but, they aren't in our area either (I would LOVE this since we have our wireless service with them). We are moving to a new "on-the-grid" neighborhood.

Okay...I just phoned Verizon again to see if they are now here...and, the lady rudely aid, "we don't service Fort Worth, Texas."

Oh well! LOL!

Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Hi all, just joined here and this is my first post. :-)

We've had Charter cable for the last 10 months and it's never gone out on us ever. Lots of people I know have Dish and they lose their connection if there's just a slight wind/rain going on.

We also have DSL with AT&T and very rarely have had any issues with it.
You won't lose your satellite connection due to slight wind or rain. The only time you'll lose your service is whenever there are heavy, heavy rains in the area; rains that will also knock out the service from the cable provider.

Where do you think the cable providers get their service? Yep, from the very same satellite that DirecTV and Dish Network get theirs. If people you know are losing service from a little wind or rain, they most definitely need to check out how well their dish is connected to the roof as I suspect it's not mounted professionally.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
You won't lose your satellite connection due to slight wind or rain. The only time you'll lose your service is whenever there are heavy, heavy rains in the area; rains that will also knock out the service from the cable provider.

Where do you think the cable providers get their service? Yep, from the very same satellite that DirecTV and Dish Network get theirs. If people you know are losing service from a little wind or rain, they most definitely need to check out how well their dish is connected to the roof as I suspect it's not mounted professionally.
Perhaps. I just know that in a school meeting of about 20 of us, all but a couple had satellite and they all were in agreement about how easily they lose their signal. Maybe it's just our area?

Old 06-22-2007, 12:44 PM

103 posts, read 676,314 times
Quote:

We had DISH before YEARS ago...and, it went out on us all of the time. We had them come out and make sure it was mounted correctly, as well as in the right "angle"...etc. They found nothing wrong with it. Just the weather.

Now...with our Charter Cable...I am NOT lying! We have NEVER had problems!! We did have a summer of trouble with the Internet...but never the cable TV. This is why I wish we could get Charter to where we are moving.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:51 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Perhaps. I just know that in a school meeting of about 20 of us, all but a couple had satellite and they all were in agreement about how easily they lose their signal. Maybe it's just our area?
We've had either Dish Network or DirecTV for almost 10 years and the only times we've lost signal is when there is a very heavy thunderstorm to our south, in line of site with the satellite. It is a tad bit frustrating when the weather gets bad, because it's usually at that very time when you're wanting to watch the weather on TV to see just what is up. But, overall, I'd say I'm very happy with the quality of service. We'll be switching to fiber optic (ATT U-Verse) in a week or two so we'll be using neither cable or satellite.

It could be the area you are in. If there are obstructions in your line of site and the signal is generally weak overall, it wouldn't take much to disrupt that. Or, it could be that you have a lousy amplifier at the dish.

All that matters is that you're happy with what you have, and if Cable does it for you, more power to ya!

Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
We've had either Dish Network or DirecTV for almost 10 years and the only times we've lost signal is when there is a very heavy thunderstorm to our south, in line of site with the satellite. It is a tad bit frustrating when the weather gets bad, because it's usually at that very time when you're wanting to watch the weather on TV to see just what is up. But, overall, I'd say I'm very happy with the quality of service. We'll be switching to fiber optic (ATT U-Verse) in a week or two so we'll be using neither cable or satellite.

It could be the area you are in. If there are obstructions in your line of site and the signal is generally weak overall, it wouldn't take much to disrupt that. Or, it could be that you have a lousy amplifier at the dish.

All that matters is that you're happy with what you have, and if Cable does it for you, more power to ya!
Very true. haha
The area I live in has part that is very heavily treed as it's an older established neighborhood. Some parts are less so. We somewhat run the gamut of the whole range of land types, house types and sizes here. I imagine anything is possible.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:59 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times
Quote:

I know I have great line of sight to the south. In fact, the installer was able to mount the Dish dish on the brick of my house instead of on the roof. But I still get many outages. I'm thinking that it's the Dish receiver. I've been too lazy to call Dish tech support to have them send someone out to take a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth