Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:07 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
urbana has the biggest library i have ever seen in a suburban area. bigger than most city libraries. those little kids must really love to read.

i hate those roundabouts in urbana, got like 3 of them in a row, i just wanted to ride over the middle of them. you know you are in a yuppified area when they go with roundabouts.

if urbana had some restaurants it would be ok, but i eat out so much and i would consstantly be going over to frederick if lived there.
Urbanna has a 30,000 sqft Library the same as Thurmont (upper county) and Frederick City. They are considered Regional Libraries. Other libraries being built now are considered local or branch libraries (I can't remember the exact term right now) and are 15,000 sq ft. The Urbana Library looks larger because the building also includes a senior center on the lower floor so only about 2/3 the building is the library. And yes the Urbana Library is well used. And because of the location it is convenient for many of us living in other parts of Frederick County to stop at on the way back home up I-270

The roundabouts are the latest craze by SHA. It has nothing to do with the 'yuppification' of an area but with areas the SHA is expanding new or existing roads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 PM

596 posts, read 937,683 times
if we go with this logic, people in frederick relate more to MC b/c most of them work in MC. there not a lot of jobs in frederick outside of Bechtel and Bechtel is moving half their jobs down to NOVA.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:48 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
if we go with this logic, people in frederick relate more to MC b/c most of them work in MC. there not a lot of jobs in frederick outside of Bechtel and Bechtel is moving half their jobs down to NOVA.
I think Frederick County south of the city is aligned more with Montgomery County, although there are pockets of farms and natives left.

North and east of Walkersville, the county is much more like Carroll or Washington. If you go to places like Keymar, Libertytown, Mt. Pleasant, Thurmont, Rocky Ridge, Johnsville, etc. etc. you would be very hard pressed to imagine yourself in any suburban area. I am sure some of the folks out there commute, but it the election returns are a pretty good indicator that the majority of the population is of a similar mind to their farm-rural neighbors.

But that is joy of Frederick County to me. Urban, suburban, and rural all in close proximity.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:24 PM

well i don't confuse Frederick with Frederick county cities like Thurmont. but the reality is most of western maryland is commuting to MC for work and that includes hagerstown and places like thurmont. Look at the traffic on the interstates.

it's all a bedroom community for MC at this point. I don't see how Urbana is unique in that regard, it's just a little closer.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,452 times
Would you prefer stoplights to roundabouts?

Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
Would you prefer stoplights to roundabouts?
if they could have one stoplight and eliminate the 3 roundabouts, yes.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:57 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
well i don't confuse Frederick with Frederick county cities like Thurmont. but the reality is most of western maryland is commuting to MC for work and that includes hagerstown and places like thurmont. Look at the traffic on the interstates.

it's all a bedroom community for MC at this point. I don't see how Urbana is unique in that regard, it's just a little closer.
Western Maryland is Allegany and Garrett Counties. For us, everything east of Sideling Hill is downstate. And no, most of us don't commute far into the rest of the state, the distance is too great.

Washington and Frederick Counties are different beasts from us entirely, combinations of farm rural/suburban. We out this way are isolated Appalachia, not the same. We are a different region. Come visit us and see for yourself.

Last edited by westsideboy; 02-11-2013 at 10:24 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,452 times
roundabouts keep traffic moving, I'm all for them when they make sense. The ones in Urbana are pretty easy to navigate.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:30 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Quote:
if they could have one stoplight and eliminate the 3 roundabouts, yes.
If you can't drive through a roundabout, don't drive at all.

I hate sitting at stop lights for the most part. Especially when there isn't any traffic (or lack thereof) passing by.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Western Maryland is Allegany and Garrett Counties. For us, everything east of Sideling Hill is downstate. And no, most of us don't commute far into the rest of the state, the distance is too great.

Washington and Frederick Counties are different beasts from us entirely, combinations of farm rural/suburban. We out this way are isolated Appalachia, not the same. We are a different region. Come visit us and see for yourself.

i thought it was understood i didn't mean that part of maryland. i wouldn't doubt if there some mc people commuting out to cumberland though. some crazy people in maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick