Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:00 PM

44 posts, read 106,501 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone,

I've read just about every thread on here regarding a possible "cancer cluster" in Frederick, MD.
How valid of a concern is it? Is that the reason that its real estate seems to be lower than surrounding areas? Or am I misreading something?

Thank you all who'll answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_M View Post
Hi, everyone,

I've read just about every thread on here regarding a possible "cancer cluster" in Frederick, MD.
How valid of a concern is it? Is that the reason that its real estate seems to be lower than surrounding areas? Or am I misreading something?

Which surrounding areas? The direction of DC? The surroundings areas that aren't in the DC direction, become less in price.

Regarding the cancer cluster. That concerns me as well. From what I've read, it seems there is a certain area of Frederick, but not the entire city itself. Maybe I'm wrong about that though.

But, I don't think the 'cancer cluster' has to do with lower real estate. Lower real estate is connected with location and proximity to DC.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:00 PM

147 posts, read 292,761 times
The "cancer cluster" only affects people living within a relatively small radius of Fort Detrick, like a mile or two, on the north side of Frederick. It's never even been positively proven to exist, so I don't think it affects housing prices. You say "real estate is lower than surrounding areas"; what areas, specifically, do you mean? Amber Meadows, for example, is right across from Detrick and would probably be part of a cancer cluster if there is one, but it has lower housing prices than other areas because it's a less desirable neighborhood (smaller houses, more renters and other lower-income residents, some reports of crime, etc) - not because of the cancer cluster.

As for the existence of the cluster itself, it wouldn't surprise me, but I'd have to see definitive proof to be completely sold that it exists.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_M View Post
Hi, everyone,

Fort Detrick is supposed to have some cancer stuff -- but that would be a problem if you were living right next to the base. 2-3 miles away, I haven't heard anything about increased cancer risk.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:34 PM

69 posts, read 182,802 times
I just found 2 links regarding this:

Frederick County MD - Official Website - Cancer Cluster Investigation Status Report

National-Academies.org | Newsroom

It seems they couldn't make a definitive link to Fort Detrick. But it's probably a safe bet to avoid living within a few miles of there.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:11 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Default Would Not Be Alarmed

I think we've had similar threads before, but I will reiterate a few points:
  • There are potential cancer clusters all across the state of MD. I would be more concerned about the unknown ones that the known ones. Those are the ones that are still "lurking."

• Fort Detrick's contamination has long been known and is virtually cleaned up.

• If you HAD to worry, the only remaining area I would personally be concerned about is the area of the Fort known as Area B.

• If you are on city water you are fine. It is monitored & tested yearly. I would not be as comfortable if I were on well water.

I have to smile when I read comments about living 2-3 miles away to "be on the safe side." Frederick is a virtual, freshwater paradise compared to places like Norman, OK, that have 200 times the allowable limit of trivalent chromium in their municipal water. A recent study showed Bethesda has 3 times the allowable limit of that pollutant (from the Erin Brockovich movie). Now there's something to be concerned about! Perhaps that's why Bethesda's home prices have not be rising exponentially?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 PM

147 posts, read 292,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlander View Post
I have to smile when I read comments about living 2-3 miles away to "be on the safe side." Frederick is a virtual, freshwater paradise compared to places like Norman, OK, that have 200 times the allowable limit of trivalent chromium in their municipal water. A recent study showed Bethesda has 3 times the allowable limit of that pollutant (from the Erin Brockovich movie). Now there's something to be concerned about! Perhaps that's why Bethesda's home prices have not be rising exponentially?
I don't think anyone in this thread suggested living 2-3 miles away to "be on the safe side". It was more of an answer as to who is supposedly affected by the "Detrick cancer cluster" that is repeatedly hyped by the local media.

But, as a whole, I agree with the point that there are often really terrible things that we regularly consume without thinking (or knowing) about.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:26 PM

425 posts, read 631,798 times
If they are doing anything with radiation at the Fort, they will be checking out their employees for radiation exposure to make sure they are well under the safe thresold of exposure. So unless you have read the employees of the Fort have been exposed to unacceptable levels of radiation, you really are worrying about something that you shouldn't worry about.

I dont think thousands of people would be going to work at the Fort every day if this was cancer waiting to happen. People generally don't want cancer.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:40 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
So unless you have read the employees of the Fort have been exposed to unacceptable levels of radiation, you really are worrying about something that you shouldn't worry about.

I dont think thousands of people would be going to work at the Fort every day if this was cancer waiting to happen. People generally don't want cancer.
A cancer cluster, by definition, is an area that has an abnormally high amount of people getting cancer.

There already is one defined around Fort Dietrich. It's been confirmed for 50 years. So, I'd assume the OP has heard of it, hence the inquiry.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:15 AM

425 posts, read 631,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
A cancer cluster, by definition, is an area that has an abnormally high amount of people getting cancer.

There already is one defined around Fort Dietrich. It's been confirmed for 50 years. So, I'd assume the OP has heard of it, hence the inquiry.
Ok, well I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma the year prior to moving to Frederick, and I lived two miles from the fort, which I think is spelled Detrick but I could be wrong. Surprised my oncologist in Frederick didn't mention this to me. But again, if there is radiation exposure at the Fort, those employees will be monitored for it. I worked at a Department of Energy site and I know how it works. If the employees are not showing high rem levels then it doens't make any sense people out in the city who don't work there would be getting cancer simply by living nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
View detailed profiles of: