Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:57 PM

83 posts, read 125,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
What about Hagerstown or the surrounding towns around the area?
Hagerstown will be cheaper, I couldn't say for sure the rent ranges. Most the apartments there are probably real old b/c not a lot of younger people out there. Check out apartments.com or apartmentfinder.com or apartmentguide.com

Hagerstown is about 30 minutes away and you have to go over a big hill which can be dicey in the winter, they have some bad accidents up there, and there is no exits to get off b/t Frederick and H'town.

You could check out the Charles Town WV area south of Frederick across the Potamc river. Rent will be more affordable down there but not a whole lot down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 02:13 PM

119 posts, read 337,042 times
Yeah, our starting income for the area would be around 80k combined with my wife. I might just look on craigslist and see if there is any individuals renting places out.

What can you tell me about frederick? My wife has family out there and they love the area. I've never been.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, our starting income for the area would be around 80k combined with my wife. I might just look on craigslist and see if there is any individuals renting places out.

What can you tell me about frederick? My wife has family out there and they love the area. I've never been.

It is nice area, real lush and green. There is good hiking around town, even an overlook at Gambrill State park 10 minutes away where you can look down on Frederick.

Frederick probably has the nicest downtown and park that I've seen. Lot of people out there on the weekends. Has kind of a historic village look to it.

The summers up there are great, not too hot. The winters were colder than I like being from SC mostly due to the fact it is a windy area for some reason. It gets a good bit of snow in the winter.

Traffic isn't too bad especially if you can avoid the interstate during rush hour. If you commute to DC I-270 is a parking lot in the afternoon.

It has a rural feel to it despite being only 45 minutes from DC.

The northside of town near Walkersville is booming right now with a Wegman's and some other new stuff getting built. Urbana is a nice area just east of Frederick if you want to be little closer to DC.

It pretty much has everything you need but there is a bigger mall and other places to eat/shop down in Gaithersburg/Germantown about 20 minutes away.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:52 PM

Is 80k a feasible salary for the area?

Old 12-27-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Is 80k a feasible salary for the area?
I think so, I was making 72K or so but I'm not married. I don't spend a lot of money on clothes and vacations and other stuff ,outside of eating out a lot. Just depends on what your lifestyle is. There are tons of little towns around Frederick where you can probably find some deals on houses /rent. You could check out Thurmont and Middleton and Mt. Airy and others.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:32 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDMC View Post
I stayed in the Crystal Springs Apartments. They are older but well kept and up in a neighborhood so it feels more like a condo. I paid 1040 a month for a 1 bedroom with 1.5 bathrooms and a computer room/den in addition to the living room.

They've built some new apartments up the road from there so there might be less demand now and apartments are more affordable.
ROTFL. Funny hearing Crystal Springs called "older", when I lived there they were the new hotness. Nice garden apartments, though there's noise if you get the ones backing onto 15.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
ROTFL. Funny hearing Crystal Springs called "older", when I lived there they were the new hotness. Nice garden apartments, though there's noise if you get the ones backing onto 15.
When was it built? They are probably not that old, but there are some newer ones in town including some brand new ones closer to the Fort.

I was in the back on 15 and it does get loud but I never heard it inside my apartment.

The maintenance guy there was the man, he seemed like he could be an engineer or something.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:23 PM

To live comfortably, should I try and rent in Frederick or Hagerstown? How is Hagerstown?

Old 12-27-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
To live comfortably, should I try and rent in Frederick or Hagerstown? How is Hagerstown?
Where do you plan to be working? If you work in Hagerstown I would probably live there. If you work in Frederick, I would probably live there b/c the lower rent/housing cost in H'town probably isnn't enough to make it worth the extra gas money to commute.

Frederick and Hagerstown are pretty similar from a daily living standpoint. Frederick has a better downtown with more people out if you care about that, although H'town does have nice downtown park. H''town downtown is probably less safe and some people consider the town to be more "redneck" than Frederick. But a lot people live there commuting to DC every day.

Frederick is closer to DC and other stuff like Gettysburg.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:43 PM

I would be working in frederick county, my fiancé could work at any hospital she could get a job at so it's still up in the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick