U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 10:57 AM

14,212 posts, read 8,109,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelpJuice View Post
I was never one to initiate disrespect and misunderstanding. There were a handful of people who I did get along with and learned interesting things from. If there is something I'm missing, perhaps you, who presumably understands the mindset of people living "rural poor white communities," can explain why I was met with indifference at the least and ridicule at the worst upon encountering this demographic?
Unfortunately, there is something to be said for the point you are making. If you have an area that is overwhelmingly of a certain demographic, and someone from a different demographic comes in, that person is likely to be perceived as "the other" and treated as such. This is true for an Asian person in a white area, but it's also true for a white person in a black area, or a black person in an Hispanic area, and so on and so on. It's not right, but it's the way it is.

This discussion reminds me of an incident I happened to witness involving Asians in Cumberland. I remember it clearly because it involved Asians in Cumberland, which are about as rare a sighting as Bigfoot. I was on a bus, waiting for it to depart from the transfer point at Roses, and a young Asian couple came up to the door and asked the driver which bus went to Frostburg. The driver gave off the distinct vibe that he didn't want anything to do with them; he gave them a hurried, confusing answer about having to wait awhile and then taking a bus somewhere and then transferring to another bus to get there.

But here's the thing: there is a bus that goes directly from Cumberland to Frostburg -- and it was sitting right there immediately behind us! There is absolutely no way that the driver did not know this; after all, passengers arriving on my bus had transferred to it, and vice versa. I don't know if the driver was racist against Asians, or was just in a lousy mood at that moment; but it was clear that he was not only not helpful, he was actively unhelpful. I immediately got off the bus, pointed the two people to the Frostburg bus and saw them onto it, then came back aboard the bus I was riding. I didn't say anything to the driver . . . but as you can see, the incident made enough of an impression on me (and not in a good way) that I still remember it. (It happened something like 7 or 8 years ago, I believe.)

Keep in mind, I don't think I have ever been the recipient of anything other than friendliness, or at "worst" just plain courtesy, from anyone in Cumberland. My experiences there have always been positive. And I do not wish to imply that the attitude of this one person is reflective of the majority of people in Cumberland. But I think it's worth noting that when I am in Cumberland, I am not part of a racial minority. So my experiences are not necessarily going to be the same as someone else's might be.

Last edited by bus man; 01-30-2020 at 11:05 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 01:27 PM

50 posts, read 34,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Unfortunately, there is something to be said for the point you are making. If you have an area that is overwhelmingly of a certain demographic, and someone from a different demographic comes in, that person is likely to be perceived as "the other" and treated as such. This is true for an Asian person in a white area, but it's also true for a white person in a black area, or a black person in an Hispanic area, and so on and so on. It's not right, but it's the way it is.

This discussion reminds me of an incident I happened to witness involving Asians in Cumberland. I remember it clearly because it involved Asians in Cumberland, which are about as rare a sighting as Bigfoot. I was on a bus, waiting for it to depart from the transfer point at Roses, and a young Asian couple came up to the door and asked the driver which bus went to Frostburg. The driver gave off the distinct vibe that he didn't want anything to do with them; he gave them a hurried, confusing answer about having to wait awhile and then taking a bus somewhere and then transferring to another bus to get there.

But here's the thing: there is a bus that goes directly from Cumberland to Frostburg -- and it was sitting right there immediately behind us! There is absolutely no way that the driver did not know this; after all, passengers arriving on my bus had transferred to it, and vice versa. I don't know if the driver was racist against Asians, or was just in a lousy mood at that moment; but it was clear that he was not only not helpful, he was actively unhelpful. I immediately got off the bus, pointed the two people to the Frostburg bus and saw them onto it, then came back aboard the bus I was riding. I didn't say anything to the driver . . . but as you can see, the incident made enough of an impression on me (and not in a good way) that I still remember it. (It happened something like 7 or 8 years ago, I believe.)

Keep in mind, I don't think I have ever been the recipient of anything other than friendliness, or at "worst" just plain courtesy, from anyone in Cumberland. My experiences there have always been positive. And I do not wish to imply that the attitude of this one person is reflective of the majority of people in Cumberland. But I think it's worth noting that when I am in Cumberland, I am not part of a racial minority. So my experiences are not necessarily going to be the same as someone else's might be.
Thank you for sharing. We can’t definitively know if cases like these are direct racism, but the possibility that it played a role is certain. Again, thanks for acknowledging my perspective.

I realize now that I was too harsh on westside; I was in a bit of a bad mood writing that a couple months back. I have actually enjoyed reading his posts while lurking around over the years as well.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:52 PM

41,544 posts, read 54,125,658 times
I'd forgotten about this thread.

I swear to Christ that Maryland has got to be the only state where people can drive through an area and see nothing but corn fields, chicken houses, watermen, cattle and horses and then claim that that area isn't rural and is really an urban area.

I do have to congratulate some of you. The Legislature overrode the Governor's veto of a bill removing the right of a person to appeal a denial by the Handgun Review Board.

Old 10-31-2020, 09:21 AM

5 posts, read 2,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

I'm not white and I live in Frederick County. I've noticed this kind of passive-aggressive racist type of behavior as well.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:33 AM

14,574 posts, read 8,831,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl99 View Post
I'm not white and I live in Frederick County. I've noticed this kind of passive-aggressive racist type of behavior as well.
I had forgotten about his thread as well until this post bumped it. The story described above with regard to the bus driver disgusts me. I'm sorry to read that you have experienced things like that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick