Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2015, 08:29 PM

38 posts, read 57,766 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of exploring where I should eventually set down roots. I can't say that the state of MD is at the top of my list, but it's where my job is, so I'm staying put for the moment. My job is based in Rockville, MD and I have the option of teleworking two days out the week.

I am wondering if it would be wise to purchase a townhome in Frederick. I seem to go from one extreme to the next; one moment I want to reside in an urban area (i.e. DC or Baltimore), while the next moment, I prefer a suburban area (i.e. Frederick or Raleigh, NC). Perhaps I should focus on selecting a hybrid area (not too urban and not too suburban)...

Should I focus primarily on the downtown area of Frederick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,742 times
Rent here for a year and see if you like it. That would be my suggestion.

Frederick is a little bit of both worlds. You could be in DC and Baltimore in an hour and the mountains in an hour. Yet have a bit of city to live in.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:32 PM

265 posts, read 509,884 times
Frederick is a nice area. It's not a small town anymore and is growing. Traffic is bad but that's what you get for living near DC and Baltimore.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:19 AM

26 posts, read 32,496 times
Traffic isn't bad in Frederick except on the interstate during rush hour. It is a small city.

I'd probably try to live in Gaithersburg/Germantown area if I was working in Rockville. The interstate b/t Rockville and Frederick is parking lot in the afternoons. It is worth paying more for housing than sit in that everyday in my view and housing in Frederick is not exactly a good deal..

Old 03-22-2015, 04:03 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Depends on where your job is. Is it in Frederick or would you be commuting 'down the road'. I would suggest renting near the job to begin with

Old 04-06-2015, 05:14 PM

299 posts, read 557,018 times
Default What makes you say this?

I agree about the traffic, but even working in Bethesda, I found Frederick made more economic sense for housing than trying to buy a place closer like in Gaithersburg or Germantown.

Are you only referring to the cost to rent?

The biggest negative I hear about Frederick homes are the high property taxes, but Montgomery County imposes plenty of taxes themselves - so I'm not convinced that's not essentially a wash. You can take the MARC train from Frederick to places like Rockville and avoid the drive and the traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville Fan View Post
Traffic isn't bad in Frederick except on the interstate during rush hour. It is a small city.

I'd probably try to live in Gaithersburg/Germantown area if I was working in Rockville. The interstate b/t Rockville and Frederick is parking lot in the afternoons. It is worth paying more for housing than sit in that everyday in my view and housing in Frederick is not exactly a good deal..

Old 05-15-2015, 10:41 AM

11 posts, read 13,112 times
Start renting in the case you haven't already started. If you don't like the place find another. I would avoid rentals that require long-term contracts as you are still discovering

Good hunting

Old 05-18-2015, 10:39 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,927 times
My advice. Test out living there for a year before you commit to buying there than later regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick