U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 06:03 PM

7 posts, read 9,111 times

Advertisements

Hello,

What are the best Neighborhoods/Areas with land in Frederick?

My wife and I are currently neighborhood shopping in the Frederick area. The top of our budget is 750K. Ideally we are looking for a 4 bedroom house on at least 2 acres of land. We both work remotely, but do not want to be to far from everyone. We also would like to be around other young families with children. Does this place exist?

Thank you,

Stephen
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 09:40 PM

4,904 posts, read 5,248,691 times
I don't think of a 2 acre place as being in a 'neighborhood' but ...

How far 'out' do you want to be? You could look in the Jefferson, Middletown, or Myersville area. One thing - if you are planning to work remotely I assume you want good Internet connectivity. Make sure you can get it where you are looking

Old 01-09-2018, 02:53 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,377,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden View Post
Hello,

What are the best Neighborhoods/Areas with land in Frederick?

My wife and I are currently neighborhood shopping in the Frederick area. The top of our budget is 750K. Ideally we are looking for a 4 bedroom house on at least 2 acres of land. We both work remotely, but do not want to be to far from everyone. We also would like to be around other young families with children. Does this place exist?

Thank you,

Stephen
I live in the Frederick area and like it, even though I do not like Maryland. Have you tried searching Zillow.com? I just did and a variety of things came up.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:32 AM

20 posts, read 26,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I live in the Frederick area and like it, even though I do not like Maryland. Have you tried searching Zillow.com? I just did and a variety of things came up.
I'm just curious, what is it that you like about Frederick and dislike about Maryland?

Old 01-15-2018, 04:39 PM

70 posts, read 141,731 times
Hi Stephen,

You might want to check out Holly Hills, Westwinds, and High Meadows (which is a small community) in Frederick.

Challedon in Mt. Airy (about 20 minutes east of Frederick) is beautiful and has the lot sizes you're looking for.

Janet

Old 02-05-2018, 09:50 PM

299 posts, read 511,758 times
Default Can't speak for the original poster, but ....

I think our family felt similar about both Maryland and about Frederick.

When we moved up here, it just felt like everything that qualified as an actual "city" with plenty of shopping, businesses offering real "career type jobs", etc. were cookie-cutter planned communities full of people packed tightly in townhomes, and land was always treated like it was a big premium. (Store parking lots in places like Rockville or Gaithersburg commonly even have the lines painted real narrow to pack as many vehicles in as possible.)

Alternately, you have Baltimore, which just feels run-down on the whole, and not an attractive place to live with a family with young kids you want to put in the local school system.

When we found Frederick, it was a real breath of fresh air. It finally felt more "real" to me .... with traditional neighborhoods and streets with normal sized homes or apartments, and a more "organic" growth to the businesses. It was much more comfortable and more like what I was used to growing up in a suburb of St. Louis, Missouri.

To be honest, there are still plenty of places in Maryland I haven't even visited yet. But a lot of Western MD seems to cater more to those wanting a rural lifestyle, or you have places like Cumberland that are just struggling with economic decline. And of course, you have the Eastern shore, which is kind of its own animal. I have no strong dislike for that -- but it's, again, not the most practical place to settle down with a few kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez91 View Post
I'm just curious, what is it that you like about Frederick and dislike about Maryland?

Old 02-06-2018, 12:09 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,377,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez91 View Post
Sorry, I had sort of forgotten about this thread.

Virginia, right across the river, has great parks, a fast and thorough criminal justice system, is very business friendly, equally good schools (a bargain if you're a state resident) trusts its citizens with firearms, no 50-60% county add on tax, and an overall lower cost of living, at least in the places I lived.

I like Frederick because it is a clean town, not too big (but almost getting to be) and has a thriving downtown area, especially for its size. It has an interesting mix of people, military personnel, scientists, business people, college students (Hood, Mount St. Mary, FCC) farmers, government workers and there are still some nice natural areas near by. I have a preference for hills, woods, streams etc. compared to beaches or flat lands so it fits the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick