Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 03:09 PM

9 posts, read 13,018 times

Advertisements

So we had a very strange thing happen to us. We moved into a house slated for Parkway (from Fairfax county)and then since we are on the border were redistributed to Lincoln . Gasp!

Obviously we were upset as we looked at the data online and were livid. So we considered private schools. We toured Banner and Lucy. We loved Lucy school but are hesitant to drive those mountains in the winter. Banner is okay too.

Then today I swallowed my pride and went to visit Lincoln and wow.. all the facilities are new with new smart boards and one to one chrome books, they have specials twice a week and will go on field trips 4 times a year.. And the principal is sharp as a tack.

We also heard about Parkway combining classes in grades and thought that’s odd.

So my question is what’s the deal here? Lincoln got a 5 while Parkway a 9. There are 1/3 the amount of kids in Parkway but their class sizes will be 10 more per class than Lincoln.

What am I missing?

Were we screwed over or given a blessing in disguise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 03:24 PM

6,913 posts, read 11,162,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newherenow View Post
So we had a very strange thing happen to us. We moved into a house slated for Parkway (from Fairfax county)and then since we are on the border were redistributed to Lincoln . Gasp!

Obviously we were upset as we looked at the data online and were livid. So we considered private schools. We toured Banner and Lucy. We loved Lucy school but are hesitant to drive those mountains in the winter. Banner is okay too.

Then today I swallowed my pride and went to visit Lincoln and wow.. all the facilities are new with new smart boards and one to one chrome books, they have specials twice a week and will go on field trips 4 times a year.. And the principal is sharp as a tack.

We also heard about Parkway combining classes in grades and thought that’s odd.

So my question is what’s the deal here? Lincoln got a 5 while Parkway a 9. There are 1/3 the amount of kids in Parkway but their class sizes will be 10 more per class than Lincoln.

What am I missing?

Were we screwed over or given a blessing in disguise?
I no nothing about this particular school, but obviously the design of the building and the tech in it doesn't really mean much about the quality of the teachers, administrators, parents, and students in the school. It could be great, it could be lipstick on a pig.

My advise is always go private if you can afford it, but that is just me.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I no nothing about this particular school, but obviously the design of the building and the tech in it doesn't really mean much about the quality of the teachers, administrators, parents, and students in the school. It could be great, it could be lipstick on a pig.

My advise is always go private if you can afford it, but that is just me.
"know nothing" Gack!

Old 08-26-2019, 05:47 PM

The problem with the private is there are only 6 kids in her class, all boys and the teacher had a slight southern slang and the building is run down while the “bad” public school’s teacher is well spoken and used smart board..

But I agree with you about parents impacting the school. About 75 percent will receive reduced lunches.. we won’t qualify being in a higher income bracket.. anyway poor people are not necessarily deficit in education or ..

Idk did the county oust us from Parkway because they want to “gentrify” other schools? Literally our neighbor will go to Parkway. We feel singled out.. and are now rethinking our decision to have moved to this area entirely..

Old 08-26-2019, 07:09 PM

5,101 posts, read 6,012,022 times
Lincoln used to be called South Frederick. My kids went there (years ago now when there were A and B buildings) and we never had any problems. A bonus was that the planetarium was in the building so they got to see it more than other schools who had to be bussed in. What you see in the ratings is bias towards schools based on the neighborhood they are located in and assumptions by people who don't take the time to find out the truth. Parkway has the advantage of having a very politically active neighborhood around it which has always demanded the absolute best and had the clout to get it.

Lincoln was rebuilt a while back and the Planetarium/Science Center moved next door

I have said many times that any school in Frederick County can give students an excellent education if the parents stay involved and support the student, teachers, and administration. Yes there are occasional problems because of less than stellar individuals in the system but if the parents are active the system can resolve those problems. I think you can do fine at Lincoln.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
The problem with the private is there are only 6 kids in her class, all boys and the teacher had a slight southern slang and the building is run down while the “bad” public school’s teacher is well spoken and used smart board..

But I agree with you about parents impacting the school. About 75 percent will receive reduced lunches.. we won’t qualify being in a higher income bracket.. anyway poor people are not necessarily deficit in education or ..

Idk did the county oust us from Parkway because they want to “gentrify” other schools? Literally our neighbor will go to Parkway. We feel singled out.. and are now rethinking our decision to have moved to this area entirely..
Really? That would bother you enough to not choose the school? You are going to find plenty of "slang" in the Frederick City public schools too among teachers and your kid's peers alike.

It's your choice. Many people go the public school route and have no problems. It just isn't something I would choose for myself or my children when I have the ability to provide them with something I feel is better.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:16 AM

Thank you so much for your feedback..
I really appreciate it..

Old 08-27-2019, 03:24 AM

Honestly, yes a southern slang in a teacher does bug me a bit as it will impact the children's English. Other wise, I think it's cute.

..as for what's better, that is what I'm trying to decipher.. I want to put my daughter into the best school, but I'm worried that is not private in this area.. and when is all is said and done, it might be wise to save for private high school and college..

I would definitely not do public for middle and high school though. Eduction is rapidly changing. I would opt for a private online school for high school so she would avoid the pitfalls of high school drama.

Did I mention that they do Yoga in art class at Lincoln? How progressive is that!?

Anyway thank you for your reply...

Old 08-27-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Honestly, yes a southern slang in a teacher does bug me a bit as it will impact the children's English. Other wise, I think it's cute.

..as for what's better, that is what I'm trying to decipher.. I want to put my daughter into the best school, but I'm worried that is not private in this area.. and when is all is said and done, it might be wise to save for private high school and college..

I would definitely not do public for middle and high school though. Eduction is rapidly changing. I would opt for a private online school for high school so she would avoid the pitfalls of high school drama.

Did I mention that they do Yoga in art class at Lincoln? How progressive is that!?

Anyway thank you for your reply...
Good luck in your search. The general idea that Elem. is a bit kinder and gentler than Middle and High School is pretty solid.

Where did you move from? As I assume you are noticing, Frederick County is a mix of D.C. transplant types and long time natives. The long time natives have a slightly Southern sounding Midland dialect. You and your kids will probably hear it a lot in the next 10 years or more.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:50 PM

5,101 posts, read 6,012,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Good luck in your search. The general idea that Elem. is a bit kinder and gentler than Middle and High School is pretty solid.

Where did you move from? As I assume you are noticing, Frederick County is a mix of D.C. transplant types and long time natives. The long time natives have a slightly Southern sounding Midland dialect. You and your kids will probably hear it a lot in the next 10 years or more.

Given the pervasiveness of mass media dialects are becoming weaker and weaker. I remember reading a study that was done in the 80s I think that showed how TV and Radio had already diluted the dialects in the rural south because people were now hearing more people with a 'national dialect'. I would be more concerned about the dialects and phraseology coming from TV shows and movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
View detailed profiles of: