Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2007, 08:28 AM

23 posts, read 249,853 times

Advertisements

I recently viewed a post where someone was advised not to live in Frederick due to the growing gang problem. Is this true? Yet, I continue to hear how nice it is in Frederick, MD. I would truly appreciate some feedback on this area. I requested a book from the Chamber of Commerce but would love to hear from anyone who actually lives there with some sound advice. Surely the gang problem can't be as bad as major cities. Sometimes it's hard to get a clear description of an area because so many people have different opionions. Thanks so much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 25,103 times
i think it all depends on the area in frederick

Old 01-14-2007, 12:39 PM

7 posts, read 58,964 times
I have lived in Frederick County my entire life. I recently advised someone not to move to an area off of alt.40 or in close relationship to that area due to gang violence. Unfortunately that area has grown increasingly worse. There has been a carjacking, drug bust, and smaller crimes growing in that particular area. In addition I have been advised that other developments are starting to have issues with home breakins within about 5 mile radius of that area. There are some wonderful parts of Frederick county walkersville, emittsburg, woodsboro that are beautiful and safe. Unfortunately Frederick grew too fast and wasn't ready for it. Growth is necessary but Frederick became whatever a developer could get their hands on could be built on. Of course when growth occurs added police are necessary. Frederick hopefully will slow down with developement and catch up with roads, school, and police force. Our schools are very overcrowded and there are some issues with traffic. Housing is expensive here the average home in a nice area will be approximately 400,000 where if you work in Frederick the median income I believe is approximately 51,000. Do the math it doesn't add up. Hope this helps

Old 01-16-2007, 12:15 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,732,570 times
I don't live in Frederick but I'm over there a lot for various reasons and I'd personally love to live there. Any growing gang issues appear to be very isolated because I rarely see any tagging or obvious gang signs anywhere I happen to go in town. It's very nice town with lots of things to do for a city of its size. Yeah, the housing prices are steep for what most people make there, but honestly, most people who live there work somewhere else like DC. In that situation, I'd definitely much rather live in Frederick than the DC or Balto. suburbs with a much higher rate of gang related activity that many of them experience.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:02 PM

186 posts, read 547,904 times
I worked for the City of Frederick for 4 years and I have never heard that gangs were an issue from the city. Not sure were your working at or what your doing, but check out the area around Hagerstown MD to Martinsburg WV. If you can afford the drive from WV do that. You save a lot on property taxes and state taxes. When I moved from hagerstown to Falling Waters WV My take home income increased $100 a month. Frederick is nice but a little pricey for me.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:27 PM

13 posts, read 103,114 times
My family and I lived in Frederick for a little over 5 years before being transferred out of state for my husband's job. We have read about some ramblings of gang activity around the Route 40 area but have never been affected by it. I shopped in that area with my three small children often. My advice to you is to call the Frederick City Police Department and have a discussion with them about your concerns. Really it is not a big issue at this time and when we left the Frederick News Post stated the police would not tolerate gang-related activity and had created a gang type task force to address any issues. Call them.

We enjoyed Frederick so much and really hated leaving. It is such a great town with so much to offer (Concerts in the park, great 4th of July celebration, Christmas Festivities, fabulous downtown, friendly people...).

Old 01-28-2007, 06:36 PM

165 posts, read 923,144 times
Smile Is Frederick, MD really that bad?

I live about 10-15 minutes outside Frederick in Mount Airy, MD and I haven't had much involvement with any gang stories or involved as a victim to any such situation. We spend a lot of time in Frederick and I like the city. It's growing considerably into quite a respectable size.

Having lived near Washington DC and New Orleans in my lifetime I'd like to think I know a little bit about gang situations and I wouldn't even consider Frederick a blimp on my roadmap for such.

Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentist View Post
I recently viewed a post where someone was advised not to live in Frederick due to the growing gang problem. Is this true? Yet, I continue to hear how nice it is in Frederick, MD. I would truly appreciate some feedback on this area. I requested a book from the Chamber of Commerce but would love to hear from anyone who actually lives there with some sound advice. Surely the gang problem can't be as bad as major cities. Sometimes it's hard to get a clear description of an area because so many people have different opionions. Thanks so much.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:27 PM

83 posts, read 326,768 times
I manly think its because the teannagers don't have nthing to do my froend theresa lives down there my dad lives in D.C when I went to see her it look like a little farm area but more surburban her friends told me all the kids do there is have sex and some wed that is to show you that the community don't care for it youth to build some where they all can go to play and be educated afte schools

Old 07-20-2008, 10:14 PM

4 posts, read 29,408 times
there are gangs in Frederick, but by means do they have immense numbers or cause a great deal of problems. I've lived in Frederick for 18 years and am frequently in the downtown and Rt. 40 area. The only strong presence is by small neighborhood gangs, but with the rapid growth and development of Frederick, it is entirely possible to see a UBN or MS-13 presence in the near future. I've had friends go into gangs, but they were for the most part unorganized and no real threat. I do think that in 10-15 years that there will be a strong gang presence in Frederick.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:38 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,477,560 times
We lived in Frederick for almost 4 years and loved it... I know it is growing and with growth comes some issues at times but all in all, Frederick is a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick