U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2008, 09:13 PM

18 posts, read 40,030 times
Default Family-Friendly Neighborhoods in/near Frederick, MD

We currently live in Takoma Park, MD, which I like alot but with the almost double taxes (city and county) we are looking a bit further out and I have loved Frederick for years but I dont know much about it as a place to raise children. I have a rising 2nd grader and a nursery schooler and we are looking for a diverse and welcoming community where houses run maybe in the low to mid400s.....also Id love any info on the commute to Va. (my family lives in Va. in Berryville and Herndon, I do visit them alot and hope to avoid Beltway
Thanks for any info...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 10,128 times
I too am looking for the safest suburbs around frederick, please email me if you get an answer!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:25 AM

1,761 posts, read 3,615,054 times
Smalltownmom, I'm surprised that you haven't gotten an answer to your question yet...anyway, there are plenty of areas in and around Frederick where you can find what you specified. Personally, I prefer older construction in established neighborshoods with mature trees. These homes are solid, all brick homes [typically capes and ramblers] with wood floors, plaster walls etc. Really good construction, compared to a lot of what's being built today. You can find them just south of Baker Park near Parkway Elementary, and also up around 12th St. near T.J. HS, and also in some of the neighborhoods near Ft. Detrick. Homes in these areas can be had for just under 3K up to the mid 300's. Parkway is a pretty decent elementary btw, even by MD standards.

The drive to both Herndon and Berryville can be made via Rt.15, completely avoiding the beltway. My guess is about an hour, or just over an hour, for either one. It's a pretty nice drive through rolling countryside.

Frederick is overall quite safe IMO, and also a great place to raise a family.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:15 AM

160 posts, read 466,503 times
Frederick and surrounding burbs is a very nice area and there are many options to choose from in all directions. From living in the city to living the small town life, and everything in between, you can sure find what you are looking for. If you are looking for more of a small town area, don’t want to pay high Frederick city taxes and want to avoid beltway driving (don’t blame you there, ugh) when you go visit your family in Herndon and Berryville I would suggest you check out Canal Run in Point of Rocks. It's a nice community located a few miles south of Frederick city off Rt 15. It's about 30-35 miles north of Berryville and Herndon, going 15 S, no beltway driving required. It's also close to the marc train if you ever need/want to go down to DC. You can get a new house built there in your price range (high 300K-low /mid 400K). Kids currently go to Carroll Manor Elem, Brunswick Middle and Brunswick High. You can check out these schools at the Frederick County Public Schools website at Frederick County Public Schools | All Schools (http://fcps.schoolwires.com/152910824113818890/blank/browse.asp?c=54640 - broken link)
I know one of the 2 builders building in that community and they have been around a long time, the quality of their product and service is excellent and ranks very high in comparison to other builders in the area. Good Luck with your search/research!

Old 09-18-2008, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 50,664 times
I would look into the Spring Ridge development. I had a lot of co-workers with young kids who just love it there.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:15 PM

100 posts, read 248,148 times
Frederick is actually very nice, though we don't have kids, I wouldn't worry about them so much here if we did. We're currently neighbors with Rankin, and agree that the older neighborhoods are very cozy if you don't mind a bit of peeling paint over solid brick structures.
I've lived in Austin, Indianapolis and Germany, and find this area a mix of Austin and Germany, safe, culturally interesting, and nice to newbies.

-Edge

Last edited by 7th generation; 11-18-2008 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Please use the DM feature to contact other members. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:16 PM

460 posts, read 1,242,033 times
spring Ridge is very close to Frederick, but outside the city limit -hence, lower taxes. Definitely worth looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick