Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 14,426 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I will both be starting new jobs in Maryland. She will have a commute to Rockville Pike in Rockville, MD, and I have a commute to Frederick, MD.

Does anybody have any advice concerning a good place to live (nice area, low crime) that would not leave either of us with a tremendously longer commute time?

We would really like to find a townhouse or some kind of home with a private yard big enough for a small garden. We would settle for an apartment if we must. Our price range is 1000-1500ish, and Craigslist has given us many possibilities in the Gaithersburg, Germantown, Montgomery Village areas.

After reading these forums, I am aware that some areas are better than others and have been using CrimeReports and "experts" from these forums as guides.

Another question would involve the use of Marc Train and Metro rail to get from Germantown or Gaithersburg into Rockville. The Twinbrook station is less than a mile from her new job (nothing beats pike-walking!). I'm guessing there would be a transfer involved.

Would it be fair to say that a commute from Gaithersburg to Frederick would take 45 mins in the morning, and from Gaithersburg to Rockville would take maybe a little less?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 04:03 PM

703 posts, read 2,941,864 times
For apartments in Germantown (in your price range), I recommend you take a look at The Park at Kingsview Village. The #74 RideOn bus comes right there and takes about 35-40 minutes to the Shady Grove Metro station. The Germantown MARC station is nearby (a 2 minute drive) or you can take the other RideOn bus (not sure the number, but it goes along Clopper Road and then north up Germantown Road Rt 118 for the MARC to Fredericks. This apt complex is located in a very quiet and safe area of Germantown towards the Gaithersburg line on Great Seneca Highway.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Germantown is closer to being between Frederick Rockville.

Gaithersburg to Rockville (Twinbrook) could take 10 minutes or 20 minutes, but not much more. If you use MARC, doesn't that stop at Shady Grove or Rockville? If yes, then transfer to Metro to Twinbrook.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:24 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Baf00n, if you guys live somewhere between Rockville & Frederick, your girlfriend's commute will be worse than your opposite direction commute. Germantown to Frederick is about 20 min. opposite direction, each way. Gaitherburg would be a nice compromise.

IMO Frederick has a lot to offer in terms of a great place to live that's outside of the DC Metro's immediate sphere of influence. The downside is your girlfriend's commute would be brutal.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 14,426 times
Default Thanks

Just out of curiosity, exactly how bad would the commute from Frederick to Rockville be? She is loving some of the houses that we are finding in Frederick, and is telling me that she's willing to drive an hour if it means a better place (her commute is sometimes an hour for 12 miles, here in Philly). I keep telling her that it's probably going to be very unpredictable and longer than an hour. Any insight?

She was also curious about taking the Marc from Frederick until it meets up with the Red Line in Rockville, then take the Red Line over to Twinbrook. I was wondering if anybody can provide any information about commuting that way. Would that be expensive? How long might that take?

I'm having a hard time getting this kind of info from Metro's Trip Planner page.

Also, the buses in Philly are not exactly ones that "yuppies" such as us (I suppose) would want to ride. Any comments about the buses in that area? (I haven't yet looked into this as an option due to the "quality" of Philly buses)

Thanks for the input!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:12 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baf00n View Post
She was also curious about taking the Marc from Frederick until it meets up with the Red Line in Rockville, then take the Red Line over to Twinbrook. I was wondering if anybody can provide any information about commuting that way. Would that be expensive? How long might that take?

I'm having a hard time getting this kind of info from Metro's Trip Planner page.

Also, the buses in Philly are not exactly ones that "yuppies" such as us (I suppose) would want to ride. Any comments about the buses in that area? (I haven't yet looked into this as an option due to the "quality" of Philly buses)

Thanks for the input!
1. The trip planner will give you the fare from Rockville to Twinbrook (1 stop)
2. MARC info you get from their website. That info is not in Metro's trip planner.
3. MARC to Metro isn't a bad idea.
4. Montgomery Ride-On bus service is very good, and are a good option.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:37 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baf00n View Post
Just out of curiosity, exactly how bad would the commute from Frederick to Rockville be? She is loving some of the houses that we are finding in Frederick, and is telling me that she's willing to drive an hour if it means a better place (her commute is sometimes an hour for 12 miles, here in Philly). I keep telling her that it's probably going to be very unpredictable and longer than an hour. Any insight?

Thanks for the input!
She could take the MARC from either Frederick or Monocacy Station to Rockville Metro Station and take the Red Line to Twinbrook Metro or take the 991 Commuter Bus to Shady Grove Metro Station and take the Red Line to Twinbrook Metro.

From Frederick MARC to Twinbrook: $6.65 each way and the trip would be about an hour and a half.
Commuter Bus 991 to Twinbrook: $4.85 each way (less if a 10-trip ticket is purchased) and the trip would be about an hour.

Obviously, the trip lengths are when there are no delays.

The MARC/Commuter Bus are for people commuting to DC. They almost all professionals who prefer the suburban/rural life to city life. The RideOn (Montgomery County Bus), TransIT (Frederick County Bus) and Metro (DC Metro Bus/Subway) have a mix of both professional and working class people with a few people to be wary about too.

Last edited by 7th Direction; 09-26-2008 at 07:50 AM..

Old 11-17-2008, 07:09 PM

102 posts, read 384,862 times
There are some totally cute townhouses and other options in Frederick walking distance from the MARC.
I wouldn't drive there, but if you set things up right, you don't have to.
Save a lot of gas, insurance and personal risk in the process.
-Edge

Old 11-17-2008, 09:19 PM

460 posts, read 1,876,476 times
My personal thought on your situation is that Gaithersburg/Germantown are the 1/2 way points for you between Frederick and Rockville. Neither is a good option in terms of investing in a mortgage there (just read these boards). Clarksburg is just up from Germantown, but will be pricey due to 1) MoCo taxes 2) special taxes for the infrastructure that will go on for 30+ years ON TOP OF your regular taxes 3) HOA fees 4) the lack of road infrastructure supporting it to the main highways.

If she is willing to drive, I think you would get more joy and better long-term financial reward on buying in Frederick. If she can work in some telecommuting there, all the better. You have a reverse commute up 270 from a mid-point but I honestly think the quality of living is better for you up there. Especially if you plan on having kids in the future. Especially!!

Old 11-18-2008, 06:05 AM

102 posts, read 384,862 times
Default Transport & Travel Issues

By the way, the city of Frederick is having a meeting this Wednesday 10-12 about walkability issues for the city. I'll try to pop in later, I have a 9:30.
It's at City Hall downtown in the 1st floor boardroom.
-Edge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick