Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:37 PM

214 posts, read 754,409 times

Advertisements

Do you pay more for organic produce? Or environmentally-friendly products? Are big tvs your thing? Do you like to stay current in fashion trends? Maybe you really like fancy shoes? Or cars?

Just curious.

I consider myself to be pretty frugal. I cut coupons. I don't really buy new clothing unless something becomes stained or sprouts holes, and even then I start at thrift-stores and move on to low-priced stores, like forever 21 or Target. I do a lot of cooking at home and rarely eat at restaurants. I use washcloths and dishtowels to cut down on the expense of sponges and paper towels.. BUT, I have a big television and a blu-ray player and I only buy organic foods.

I feel that the blu-ray player and television KIND OF pay for themselves since we don't go to out the the cinema anymore, and the organic food might keep health costs down?

What are the things that you won't skimp on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 06:55 PM

9,678 posts, read 14,147,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alixjack View Post
We don't skimp on good, healthy food, and on gifts for one another. 51 years of marriage is never to be taken for granted. So, impulsively, he buys me gifts, and I buy him gifts. We are One and support each other 100%. (Hope he agrees when he reads this)

Old 06-10-2010, 07:00 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,602,843 times
Quote:
Do you pay more for organic produce? Or environmentally-friendly products? Are big tvs your thing? Do you like to stay current in fashion trends? Maybe you really like fancy shoes? Or cars?

Just curious.

I consider myself to be pretty frugal. I cut coupons. I don't really buy new clothing unless something becomes stained or sprouts holes, and even then I start at thrift-stores and move on to low-priced stores, like forever 21 or Target. I do a lot of cooking at home and rarely eat at restaurants. I use washcloths and dishtowels to cut down on the expense of sponges and paper towels.. BUT, I have a big television and a blu-ray player and I only buy organic foods.

I feel that the blu-ray player and television KIND OF pay for themselves since we don't go to out the the cinema anymore, and the organic food might keep health costs down?

Hmmmm...let me see now. I never ever waste money on "organic" anything since that's just a marketing ploy to charge more for the product. If it's green it's all organic so I either grow my own or buy what's on the shelf.

As to everything else in my life it's the best quality I can afford (that doesn't mean the most expensive either) to fit the need or do the job at hand. I research everything I buy to know what the best quality product is when I buy. I also don't care what someone else owns so I follow no one in what's right for me & mine.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:10 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,628,783 times
I save money where I can, I always buy the best quality for products that I plan on keeping for a while. I'm not married nor am I in any way, shape, or form a fashion guru so I spend very little money on clothing. I purchase Wrangler jeans and they last FOREVER and usually run me about $25/ each! I rarely shop at Wal-Mart simply because I don't like their business practices so my grocery expenses are usually a bit more (Fry's and Trader Joes usually).

I don't skimp on things I enjoy such as cars, golf, or electronic devices. I golf almost everyday in the wintertime and still quite a bit in the summer, my set of Callaway clubs cost over $1000 when I bought them but they are worth the investment. They'll easily last me for 10+ years (now if I keep them or trade up is another matter ). I also don't skimp on vehicles or electronics. I recently bought an LED tv for my living room, it wasn't cheap but it sure looks good hanging on my wall!

There are common-sense ways to save money such as not stopping at Starbucks for a $4 coffee (I brew my own Don Francisco and it tastes better anyway!) or instead of eating out for lunch every day, bring a sandwich with you. I save when I can but I'm also not cheap when it comes to things that will have a direct impact on how I live.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:12 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,796,911 times
My dad used to say he economizes on the regular things but not the important things. Always wore Timex watches. Walked a mile to the train to save on gas. While he always drove new cars, he usually went with the fewest options. But he was a theater buff and always wanted good seats, not the second balcony.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:02 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,602,257 times
I only buy things that I believe are important and then I shop carefully; do much comparison shopping. I will often only prepare meals that are not expensive for weeks on end. But we always eat, always go on vacations, always maintain our house, always take our dogs & selves for any scheduled doctor/dentist visits. I just make sure I don't overpay for anything. I spend a lot of time price shopping. I never clip coupons b/c I rarely buy household air fresheners or trash dog food or prepared foods and that's all I ever see coupons for.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:53 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times
My frugality is a mindset, and it gives me personal gratification to know that I am complying with a principle, which is basically, don't waste money if it feels good to not waste money. However, I am also generous.

My supermarket has coupons at the checkout, and you can pick up a coupon and put it with your order, and the amount will be rung up and donated to a charity. Every month, I buy a $5 coupon, even though I have just spend considerable time in the aisles laboriously comparing prices in order to save maybe less than $5. The donations don't even scratch the surface of that I give away, it's just an illustration.

One never gets rich through frugality, but one can become comfortable and independent that way. All that money I saved by not buying new cars and new TVs and fashionable new clothes and residences at prestigious addresses, has left me with enough money that now I can afford a a level of generosity that gives me as much psychic wellbeing as my frugality does. So I can have my cake and eat it too.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:16 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,769,931 times
Frugality ends when I pay more for better jeans because I know they will last 5-6 years as opposed to 2. Or classic clothes rather than the junk that is in season to be "in" That is just an example.

If I really, really want the item and it will last, I buy it. I won't waste money on junk.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:51 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,361,883 times
Quote:
Do you pay more for organic produce?
No, I consider it a marketing ploy.
Quote:
Or environmentally-friendly products?
No, I make my own.
Quote:
Are big tvs your thing?
Nope. My TV is 22 years old.
Quote:
Do you like to stay current in fashion trends?
Levis and a Tshirt rule.
Quote:
Maybe you really like fancy shoes?
Birkenstocks!
Quote:
Or cars?
My beloved truck is 5 years old, with no plans to ever get rid of it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Baby Blue Cat.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	64041
Quote:
Best Mayonnaise.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:14 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,246,478 times
I do not skimp on vehicle maintence and I do purchase Coca-Cola, the real thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living