Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:01 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The definition of "collapse" can vary widely. For some it has already happened. For some, it happened in the 1980s.

A real collapse? The three things you will need are a) a gun, b) some gold coins, and c) a good enough pair of walking shoes to get to Mexico. Also helpful will be a copy of the US Army Field Manual FM 21-76, "Survival, Evasion and Escape".

Mexico? Yes. Life will be a lot more liveable in Mexico, outside the larger urban centers and well away from the US border. Mexicans are already living without the kinds of things that Americans take for granted, which require a highly complex and smoothly running infrastructure. Mexico's climate requires neither heating nor air conditioning. Houses are designed simply. People live for years without ever venturing further than walking distance from their homes. A Mexican household places little demand on the electrical grid---a few light bulbs and maybe an appliance or two. Mexicans eat food that was mostly locally produced, requiring little transportation to get it to the consumers. Most people are agriculturally savvy, and can provide for the community's food needs. Many people understand draft animals, and breeding stock exists. Mexico's central authority, not bankrupt profiteers, are in control of fuel distribution. Doctors can recognize conditions without MRIs, and treat them, and are right often enough.

In short, rural Mexico is already humming along on pretty much the same kinds of paucity of resources that will prevail in the post-apocalyptic America. And societal structures are already in tune with it. Life will go on without that much of an upheaval for most people. However, large cities will be a lot like war zones, same as in the US.
What in the world are you carrying on about? Whatever it is your smoking I want some, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 07:23 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,164 times
If there were an economical collapse, I am thinking it would be like a modern version of the Great Depression. People will just need to learn how to live communaly, barter with each other and learn how to make gardens, can the food, buy necessary supplies and first of all, cut up your credit cards.
People will probably still be able to pay most of their bills, granted they are working. I don't believe the people in the city will fare as well as rural people, who for the most part still garden and hunt wild game and have room for a few cattle and chickens.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well then you should all head over to this subforum and start reading !

http://www.city-data.com/forum/self-...-preparedness/
Those are the same people who saw Y2K as the end too. I even rememeber much more authoritive people predicting we were close to nuclear doom with the atomiuc clock.People have always poredicted it thru the ages with one reasoning or another.Most of those people are sitting i front of their computers before goignto bed to get to work the next day.Not getting ready for the end they predict.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:43 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Depends on area and the industry.
overall though, it's still not enough to keep up with population growth.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:44 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,265 times
Stocking items is a great idea but unfortunately most will not and if the time comes when we run out of supplies anyone stocking will be the target of the masses. Trying to defend your stockpile will be futile. During Katrina the people of NO who elected to defend their homes were stripped of their weapons by the national guard and the police. If you find yourself with stock goods in a time of need the first to take your supplies will be the police and national guard.

A persons best defense is knowledge. Knowing how to survive with little or nothing will be the difference. A little planning wouldn't hurt either.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:50 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"Today, more Americans than ever are absolutely convinced that we are headed for an economic collapse. After all, it doesn't take an advanced degree in economics to understand that American consumers, American businesses, local governments, state governments and the U.S. federal government are all drowning in debt. "

What To Do
Tell your friends and neighbors to be more careful next time they go to the polls

Old 07-27-2010, 08:16 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Tell your friends and neighbors to be more careful next time they go to the polls
I'll try to be more careful. Last time I went to the polls, there was a presidential slate of electors. If Texas had been anywhere near a close race, every other state would have already gone for Obama in a landslide, so it didn't matter much whom Texans voted for. I doubt if it will matter next time, either. I looked at the ballot for Congressman, and there was only one name on it (Ron Paul, unopposed). Nest time I'll be careful.

I think the only thing I'd need to be careful of is the Tea Partiers at the polls carrying guns. Unless they were hunting, the only purpose I can think of for them to have guns is to shoot human beings, which I happen to be.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:00 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'll try to be more careful. Last time I went to the polls, there was a presidential slate of electors. If Texas had been anywhere near a close race, every other state would have already gone for Obama in a landslide, so it didn't matter much whom Texans voted for. I doubt if it will matter next time, either. I looked at the ballot for Congressman, and there was only one name on it (Ron Paul, unopposed). Nest time I'll be careful.

I think the only thing I'd need to be careful of is the Tea Partiers at the polls carrying guns. Unless they were hunting, the only purpose I can think of for them to have guns is to shoot human beings, which I happen to be.
Very, Very off topic. Please keep your politics in politics.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Very, Very off topic. Please keep your politics in politics.
Kinda hard not to bring politics into a thread about the collapse of the country.

That would be like asking people not to mention--God-- in the religion forum.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:49 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,800,475 times
The recession was over 6 quarters ago. Check the GDP growth numbers. Thank you Obama!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living