U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,058,114 times

Advertisements

Did anyone read the article on yahoo.com yesterday? If not, this is the guy that was on the front page:

Small House Book

Even though I wouldn't call myself "frugal" I do love saving money. I haven't decided if building one of these would be good idea or not so I'm wanting your opinion on the subject as well.

Supposedly, you can build your own energy-sufficient home for $20,000 or less. Of course it wouldn't be an investment but you would be able to save so much money.

I guess the reason why I was interested in it was 1) The challenge of building it yourself and 2) I would love to live in Alaska for a couple years and one of these homes would be perfect.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 10:50 AM

9,326 posts, read 11,249,863 times
I read a similar article yesterday.

Could I live in a tiny house ?

Yes

I started downsizing 2 years ago. We don't need half of what we think we do.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,794 posts, read 37,464,612 times
Oh yeah, EZ at 1/4th the price this guy is getting / estimating. There was a special on this a couple years ago in American Profile magazine that comes in small town newspapers.

Actually a much cheaper and faster solution is to start with a $1200 used travel trailer and 'build to suit'

Here is a 'real-life' option in Davis, CA (They have a very nice setting, and really close to services and shopping)
Aggie Village Cottages - Davis Wiki (The 'floor plan' link appears to be broken)

You will need a very forward thinking planning dept... Let me know when you find one.

I have rented cabins in AK that were on skids and floats in very remote parts of shoreline. They just tow them to a nice spot (by tug boat) and winch them up in the land. There are some minimal 'forest-service' cabins you can rent for extended times off season. You fly in by floatplane, and schedule a retrieval at a convenient time (+/- a few days / weeks, depending on weather)

Old 07-20-2010, 11:14 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,005,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Did anyone read the article on yahoo.com yesterday? If not, this is the guy that was on the front page:

Small House Book

Even though I wouldn't call myself "frugal" I do love saving money. I haven't decided if building one of these would be good idea or not so I'm wanting your opinion on the subject as well.

Supposedly, you can build your own energy-sufficient home for $20,000 or less. Of course it wouldn't be an investment but you would be able to save so much money.

I guess the reason why I was interested in it was 1) The challenge of building it yourself and 2) I would love to live in Alaska for a couple years and one of these homes would be perfect.

What are your thoughts?
This is an old idea that is new again. America was settled with the one room cabin if we remember our history.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:18 AM

12,901 posts, read 18,450,622 times
I could do it if I didn't have 3 little kids.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:12 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times
How do you like the Granny Pod?

Wonder Cottage or Granny Pod?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:41 PM

55 posts, read 73,985 times
I've seen a few articles like this recently. The lifestyle is more than just downsizing, though: to be successful people generally shift their lifestyles to consume and own less.

Most of the year I live in 600 sq. ft. But I spend about a month each year backpacking. When I'm traveling, I live out of 3200 cu. in.

The main difference in how I live is that I have a much lighter footprint when I'm mobile. What I consume is food and the occasional beer. At home, I'm surrounded by things (and people) that encourage consumerism and a more sedentary lifestyle.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:50 PM

2,038 posts, read 3,649,568 times
How about this little pad converted from a grain silo.

Another Silo Home... And This Time It's An Inn | Apartment Therapy Re-Nest

Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
I guess the guy has a book to promote. What better than to have Yahoo! publish an article about it?

BTW, the book is $37 and only available from the author.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:53 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,777,332 times
I've chosen to get off the grid as much as possible. So I have a few acres in the country and a small home that I'm renovating myself.

When the tax man cometh I do everything to get it reduced. So many people want to inflate the value of their belongings....I want to minimize it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or