U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 AM

1,917 posts, read 6,310,480 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I really want to live like this once the kids are gone

but-will-it-make-you-happy: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110275/but-will-it-make-you-happy - broken link)

It's true that when you start to pare down on material things and focus on experiences that's what makes us happy. I know it does to me.
And you don't necessarily have to be spending lots of cash to go on vacations. Heck we explore our own town and make memories.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 12:29 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,025,316 times
American consumerism is a spectator sport all Americans are brain washed into participating in.

A good life really does mean less is enough.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:29 PM

4,507 posts, read 7,831,821 times
Nice article. It's not practical for many people to go to that extreme but I don't know anyone who couldn't pare down...by a lot. My bet is that most of them would be happier with more simplicity.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:38 PM

21 posts, read 16,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
My hubby and I really want to live like this once the kids are gone

but-will-it-make-you-happy: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110275/but-will-it-make-you-happy - broken link)

It's true that when you start to pare down on material things and focus on experiences that's what makes us happy. I know it does to me.
And you don't necessarily have to be spending lots of cash to go on vacations. Heck we explore our own town and make memories.
Sometimes a little more is actually living on less. I live in Florida in the winter and the northeast in the summer. I'm healthier bc of it. And I save tons on utilty costs. Both homes are modest and paid off. It may seem outwardly that I'm living high. But I'm paying less than I would if I stayed in one place all year, all things being equal.

I buy my clothes tax free in one state, the other has a tax. And I earn my income in the state that has no state income tax. Living the migrant life is easy if you're frugal.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:58 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,884,390 times
In the process of doing just that right now and the more I can shred and burn as far as paper goes and the fuller those bags for Goodwill get with clothes that don't fit or are not worn, the better I am feeling. The anchor is slowly rising to the top and we will be free of the dead weight of STUFF within the next few weeks.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:58 PM

11,908 posts, read 14,386,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot4asians View Post
Sometimes a little more is actually living on less. I live in Florida in the winter and the northeast in the summer. I'm healthier bc of it. And I save tons on utilty costs. Both homes are modest and paid off. It may seem outwardly that I'm living high. But I'm paying less than I would if I stayed in one place all year, all things being equal.

I buy my clothes tax free in one state, the other has a tax. And I earn my income in the state that has no state income tax. Living the migrant life is easy if you're frugal.
I knew a guy who worked in Texas during the summer and Michigan during the winter. Played the peak season for pay and off season for housing.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:27 PM

21 posts, read 16,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I knew a guy who worked in Texas during the summer and Michigan during the winter. Played the peak season for pay and off season for housing.
Learned a lot from the snowbirders I met in Fl over the years. One also can buy the spring clothes that go on sale here, up north, for next to nothing. I've found many ways of being frugal in something I thought, at first glance, was anti frugal.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM

Now, if I could only figure out how to cook Thanksgiving dinner with just 2 pots...???

Old 08-11-2010, 09:23 PM

9,465 posts, read 15,045,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Now, if I could only figure out how to cook Thanksgiving dinner with just 2 pots...???

Splurge and go out to Luby's! That's what we did last year, then picked up another prepared meal to take home for "leftovers". Best Thanksgiving I ever had, not cooking and cleaning pots! BTW, its cheaper, too!

Old 08-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Nah, I enjoy cooking Thanksgiving dinner and I am a smart shopper so I am sure it would cost much more for us all to go out than it does for me to cook.

I'm not sure if could do with just 2 pots the rest of the year either. I'm not the kind of cook who uses every dish in the kitchen but 2 pots?? Sometimes I use more than that for just one meal. Of course these folks don't have kids...I wonder how much they cook?

I do have an excess of glass bake ware....I'm sure I could get rid of some. I was just thinking today that I wish I didn't have both a blender and a mixer. I'd be very happy with just one appliance to do both jobs. I really don't like to keep a lot of gadgets and appliances but I use both.

Sometimes I find that while I like the idea of simplifying....it's just hard to actually do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living