Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:07 AM

106,593 posts, read 108,757,383 times

Advertisements

thye only thing keeping us from being crushed by the huge jump in raw material prices the last few years is cheap overseas labor.

we couldnt afford to buy very much that was made by american labor unfourtunetly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:27 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,648 times
It is correct that our overseas partners also have to do their homework to boost world economy, but in my opinion they do - maybe on a different way US does. European countries always lean to save money first before make huge spendings, in case of Germany it works pretty well as they have an expeceted increase of BIP of about 3% this year and their economy is running again.

Only to buy local products is kind of short term thinking in my opinion, as goods will always be produced where the circumstances are the best. If you want other countries to buy CocaCola, McDonalds and F-16 fighters but install a kind of protectionism in your home country, it does not work in a long term horizon. It would be better to improve circumstances in the US to be more innovative and to make American products (technical products like cars, electronics, whatever) more efficient.
In general we could say that the best paid jobs are in research, development and management of those things, whereas the simple manufacturing could also be done elsewhere.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:08 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
In general we could say that the best paid jobs are in research, development and management of those things, whereas the simple manufacturing could also be done elsewhere.
Douglas I'm betting you arent one of those Americans who works in the simple manufacturing field or you wouldnt so casually be saying it can be done elsewhere.Lot of Americans were happy to have those jobs in the factories,now it seems the Chinese and Asian peoples are happy to have those jobs.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:41 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
Quote:
Only to buy local products is kind of short term thinking in my opinion.
Ahhh location location location.

Here in the manufacturing Midwest, I like to keep my neighbors working.

If they lose their jobs, they lose their income. When they lose their income, they lose their house. When their house goes into foreclosure and the @#$%! bank refuses to mow the lawn or paint the trim? MY property values go down.

Buying stuff that my "neighbors" make is one of the most frugal things I can think of...thinking long-term, of course.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:12 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,648 times
You are not that wrong, in general I even agree to both of you. Products from the US always deliver a higher value to your neighbors than any other products. This lack of jobs in industry is a problem for all high developed countries, it is comparable to Europe, Japan, etc. The shift from a industry-oriented economy to a service-oriented economy can not be done in a few years. But the shift has to be done within a certain time, otherwise the home industry becomes less competitive and can only be kept alive with protectionism, subventions, etc. In the long term this will lead to higher costs for all of us.

Every person is happy to have a job, I don't want to take it away from them.
Imagine the children of your neighbors decide not do go to university (because they think they don't need, they will get a job in a factory as their parents have). Instead of this, they could be researchers, engineers, or whatever. And I don't say american manufacturing is not competitive at all, but it should concentrate on high-performance products which need a high knowledge and competence.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:03 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Sorry, I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars a year waving the USA flag. I'll leave that to the fat cats who got rich exploiting USA capitalism. I buy the best product at the best price, and if American corporations can't or refuse to supply it at a competitive price, that's their problem. It's not my responsibility to use my meager income to subsidize their speculative shareholders.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:06 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,392 times
This is a hard one...we need to keep Americans working, so buying American would do that. But so does shopping at "big chain/box stores and resturants" they are hiring local people.

What I see is if we quit making things, we become totallly dependant on other nations for our needs (think oil) and that's not a good thing.

I really think we, as a nation, need to adjust our thinking.
It's time to buy "new school clothes" why? If the old clothes still fit, why do the children need new ones? Social pressure, is the only answer I can come up with. That's not a good reason to purchase anything.
I see things being discarded because they are missing a button...why? Learn to sew on a button.
I hadn't noticed, but will look, that even if I purchase from an American company that the labor is all done overseas, but I can't help but wonder, are these things I should be purchasing anyway? I know Hunts has factories in CA, as does Delmonte, but my question is, with a little skill, and time, I can get fresh produce, from the USA and make my own.
We have become a society of wanting new/best, and wanting it now. Rather than saving for something, making due, thinking of a "plan B"

It's the consumer that drives this whole process. If we as consumers, will think, really think, about the purchases we make, then maybe we can find that balance that we so desprately need.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
I am always trying to balance being frugal with acting as a responsible American consumer. I do shop for items made in the US and if I can't find them I buy used if possible. America is in trouble and I need to support this country whenever possible. I wish our politicians would figure this out.

I won't purchase an inferior product just because it's made in the US. I do look at my options.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
What are the best buys/products you have been able to find?
Buy Studebakers !! Best trucks I've ever had.

'recycling' cars is good too. Most of my 'Rabbits' were made in PA, but I think the profit flowed to 'the 'ole' country. (Just like a good precentage of our foreign owned 'wind power'. Wind farms lease the land from farmers, but the perpetual profits will flow to China, Japan, Germany ...

There are a few 'community owned' wind farms in USA, (MN & IA) bless their souls.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:40 AM

28 posts, read 124,197 times
Quote:

Only to buy local products is kind of short term thinking in my opinion
Yes, and I hate to say it but it is also a sign of ignorance.

My eyes have been opened to the world of foreign sourcing. I am not entirely fond of it, but it is a necessity in today's global economy and it is global whether people like it or not. If you cannot compete, you go out of business. If you go out of business, there is absolutely no economic benefit.

The United States is not efficient at manufacturing goods. It is as simple as that. And yes, it results in an economics driven labor shift. This country, overall, is far too educated and technologically advanced to be a manufacturing nation. The only way for low skill manufacturing to survive would be for the government to implement incentive programs and subsidies, but that is not at all healthy for an economy. Look at what has happened to farmers and the food supply as a result of our subsidy on corn crops. The only reason farmers make money is because of the subsidies...a very unhealthy situation.

American based wholesalers and retailers that source from China and other foreign countries still pump more money into the American economy than they do foreign countries. Between sales reps, employees, insurance companies, freight carriers, shipping companies, real estate, landlords, economic benefit to retailers, etc., there is still a very significant and majority benefit to the American economy. Do not be ignorant enough to think otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living