Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:37 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,909,769 times

Advertisements

I called Comcast last week and they no longer have a basic channel service that includes sports channels. So i had to stick with he current sports package. And as a sports fan I love being on the internet checking scores and chatting sports so I can't rid of that. So what the guy did was lower my cable and internet from $153 a month to $120 a month which saves me close to $60.00

So that was the only thing I could do because Comcast keep sports channels seperate from the regular channels. And it's frustraing because I knw I can't live with cable and the internet so I did manage to save a little money but that's all I can do. I think it's possible to be frugal with the things below but not cable or the internet

Food
Clothes
DVD spending
Music
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 11:20 AM

843 posts, read 1,427,710 times
Is comcast part of the ESPN3 network? If so they offer a lot of the games on there (any that are on their family of networks0 unless they are blacked out in your area (like NFL teams not selling out a game). Something worth looking into to get rid of the cable but keep the internet.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,344,230 times
Have you considered listening to the games on radio rather than watching ?
Then just go to a sports bar when the really big games come on.

That way you still get your sports at a much lower cost.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Is comcast part of the ESPN3 network? If so they offer a lot of the games on there (any that are on their family of networks0 unless they are blacked out in your area (like NFL teams not selling out a game). Something worth looking into to get rid of the cable but keep the internet.
Yup ESPN3 is part of the sports package.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Have you considered listening to the games on radio rather than watching ?
Then just go to a sports bar when the really big games come on.

That way you still get your sports at a much lower cost.
That worked in 1987 when I didn't have cable but not now. I even asked the lady on the phone could i just ppay for the sports channels only after channel 99 and she said no. What I hate about cable is that you pay for so many channels you neve watch. I wish I could select the channels I wanted

Old 08-29-2010, 11:51 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,191,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I called Comcast last week and they no longer have a basic channel service that includes sports channels. So i had to stick with he current sports package. And as a sports fan I love being on the internet checking scores and chatting sports so I can't rid of that. So what the guy did was lower my cable and internet from $153 a month to $120 a month which saves me close to $60.00

So that was the only thing I could do because Comcast keep sports channels seperate from the regular channels. And it's frustraing because I knw I can't live with cable and the internet so I did manage to save a little money but that's all I can do. I think it's possible to be frugal with the things below but not cable or the internet

Food
Clothes
DVD spending
Music
Look, the whole idea of frugality is so you can AFFORD the things that are necessities TO YOU. There are things that you CAN cheap out on, in order to have the things you want.

I spend wisely on food, gas and books (I go to the library) in order to have a world class sewing machine for quilting. I just spent 3K on a new Bernina artista 440 QE. I LOVE that thing...

And my husband is an ardent eBayer, who sells stuff he finds in order to buy old Hollywood autographs, and lobby cards and movies and DVDs. We don't pay a cent out of our personal money -- all his spending is from his ebay account. So if he finds the holy grail of autographs that'll cost him 1500 bucks -- he's got the cash for it and it won't bust our budget!

Sports is important to you. Heavens knows why, I think it's a complete waste of time. I mean -- you could be quilting! BUT if you can't cut back on TV and internet, you did the second best thing and got them to cut the price. That's the perfect solution.

Being frugal is NOT about depriving yourself of the things you love. It's about being able to enjoy them guilt free.

So you did good here. Hubby and I are ardent TV watchers, and we just scaled back our satellite package, but we found out we could easily and not miss a thing.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:34 PM

843 posts, read 1,427,710 times
i meant espn3.com. could you cut the cable and just watch everything on the computer?

Old 08-29-2010, 02:34 PM

362 posts, read 391,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

Food
Clothes
DVD spending
Music
Looks more like 33 dollars. But either way I agree. There has to be a point where one allows themselves to enjoy the things in life they enjoy. It's a dollars vs return issue for me. I want my man cave to have the things I enjoy.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:46 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,793,037 times
Quote:
i meant espn3.com. could you cut the cable and just watch everything on the computer?
espn3 is good, but no substitute for cable. They have the espn mlb games, nearly all Canadian football, tons of soccer and NCAA FB and BkB.. My cable/internet provider gives me free access to espn3.

mlb.tv is a good value, every game (except blackout) for about $20 a month through baseball season only. They've ironed out most of their technical glitches, which were infuriating the first couple of years.

The blackouts can be killers for some people If your IP is in Iowa, you'll be blacked out of every game for six teams, but most areas only 2 or 3, some only one.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
The computer is for temporary entertainment like 15-20 mins on youtube not long term like a 3 hour football game
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living