Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 12:54 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times

Advertisements

I didn't read all 11 pages, so apologies if my answer is the same as someone else's....

"Why would you want to be "rich" ??"
Because it sure as heck beats being poor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 01:18 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
What reasons would cause you to want to be "rich"?

NOTE: Don't put down that you just want more stuff or more money to buy more stuff. Those are not valid reasons to want to be "rich".

That said what would motivate you to desire to be "rich"??
Was just reading on another board -- A woman who left an abusive relationship AND had major cuts on her job is now living with several roommates and is facing losing her internet because she can't afford it. Her lifestyle has been cut as far down to the bone that it's now reached internet or food. And she doesn't have the access to wifi sources or libraries with internet access without spending money to get there... which she doesn't have.

I realize many would like to believe that being poor is somehow more honorable and being "rich" is somehow evil or dishonorable or at the very most embarrassing -- being poor is awful.

You have no choices. You have no power. You are literally the poor little seashell being buffetted on the shore by wave after wave after wave and wearing down to that little tiny grain of sand....

When we had amassed a little money I was looking at a diamond ring (I love to look at jewelry) and I realized that I could totally afford it. I could buy this ring and not think twice. It would be barely a blip in the savings.

And I can also choose to not buy it. The choice was mine. This was a big realization in my life -- for the first time I NOW had the power. I held the winning cards.

I've always looked at jewelry, and when we didn't have money, and the thought was someday, someday.... or playing with the numbers to see if we could swing it... which we never did. And I have to tell you, it didn't feel good to have to walk away from things I wanted. And that's everything -- cars, clothing...appliances.

I didn't buy that ring. But this time, when I walked away from it, I felt okay. More than okay -- I felt good. I wasn't not buying it because I couldn't afford it. I was not buying it because while it was pretty, it wasn't amazing.

And I'm not rich. I think if you ask every one to put a dollar amount on rich, each person would come up with a different figure. And it's perfectly possible to earn a couple of million bucks a year and spend it all -- I've seen it. Does that make them rich? or is it money accumulated and invested?

In my opinion the original question asked isn't as easy to answer as you'd think....

Old 11-29-2010, 01:23 PM

889 posts, read 2,712,165 times
I like to look at beautiful things. I would love to have a gorgeous piece of property with a quaint, pretty little cottage, in a quaint and beautiful locale.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:40 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Was just reading on another board -- A woman who left an abusive relationship AND had major cuts on her job is now living with several roommates and is facing losing her internet because she can't afford it. Her lifestyle has been cut as far down to the bone that it's now reached internet or food. And she doesn't have the access to wifi sources or libraries with internet access without spending money to get there... which she doesn't have.

I realize many would like to believe that being poor is somehow more honorable and being "rich" is somehow evil or dishonorable or at the very most embarrassing -- being poor is awful.

You have no choices. You have no power. You are literally the poor little seashell being buffetted on the shore by wave after wave after wave and wearing down to that little tiny grain of sand....

When we had amassed a little money I was looking at a diamond ring (I love to look at jewelry) and I realized that I could totally afford it. I could buy this ring and not think twice. It would be barely a blip in the savings.

And I can also choose to not buy it. The choice was mine. This was a big realization in my life -- for the first time I NOW had the power. I held the winning cards.

I've always looked at jewelry, and when we didn't have money, and the thought was someday, someday.... or playing with the numbers to see if we could swing it... which we never did. And I have to tell you, it didn't feel good to have to walk away from things I wanted. And that's everything -- cars, clothing...appliances.

I didn't buy that ring. But this time, when I walked away from it, I felt okay. More than okay -- I felt good. I wasn't not buying it because I couldn't afford it. I was not buying it because while it was pretty, it wasn't amazing.

And I'm not rich. I think if you ask every one to put a dollar amount on rich, each person would come up with a different figure. And it's perfectly possible to earn a couple of million bucks a year and spend it all -- I've seen it. Does that make them rich? or is it money accumulated and invested?

In my opinion the original question asked isn't as easy to answer as you'd think....
Great post! To me, the number one reason is the extra freedom that is associated with extra money. While certain material things are nice, the ability to live where I want, do what I want, get what I want and the security that I can provide my family is priceless.

What counts is how you treat other people. Unlike what certain people here on the far like to think, you can be rich and be a nice person (Or be a poor and be a complete jerk). The bottom line is, nobility in poverty is a dead scene.

I think a better title for this thread would be: "Why would you NOT want to be rich?"

Old 11-30-2010, 09:40 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
It's pretty arrogant to tell people what is a "valid" reason to be rich and what is "not valid".

Personally I'm doing fine, but I'd love to be extremely rich(Top 0.1%). One of the reasons is so I could add a nice red Lamborghini Murcielago roadster to my garage. If that reason isn't politically correct for you...well you know what you can do.
Your post is the precise reason I asked that being rich is NOT about buying "Stuff". Any pea brain can do that. What I asked required more thought which you seem to be incapable of.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:50 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

You point the way out of ,or to avoid, debt bondage that is the norm today.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:09 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Your post is the precise reason I asked that being rich is NOT about buying "Stuff". Any pea brain can do that. What I asked required more thought which you seem to be incapable of.
In my posts, you will see that I explained how my primary reason for desiring to be rich is for the freedom it provides. However, wanting "stuff" is a secondary reason for me (and a primary reason for many). No reason for desiring to be rich is any more "valid" than any other one, as long as you earning your money legally and not hurting anyone.

Also, let's try to keep this as a friendly discussion and not act like babyish by throwing personal insults at anybody who disagrees with you.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:25 PM

7,365 posts, read 5,479,265 times
For me it would be for personal happiness and my health. My job is killing me, I hate it, it's physically and emotionally taxing, I can't quit and the economy where I live is really bad so I can't get a different job that pays as well as the one I have. So to have money where I didn't have to work would be a God send to me. I'm positive I would be happier and feel better without all the stress.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:41 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
As we reach middle age, most everyone I talk to say it's not about the money, but the ability to get off the treadmill and spend time doing what one considers to be more important things in life - family and friends, and making up for lost time.
Bingo! That's the secret to true happiness -having no boss to answer too, being in total control of your own life is what being rich can do for you.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:55 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,469 times
*to not have to worry about things- financially as i age, although still would be organized and have a budget.

*be able to buy a home
*in my home, make it a "kitty" home with kitty walks all over walls to ceiling
*so my animals will always have everything they need and cool things for them to use

*not Have to work, or create own business that I love and educate others about health for them and their pets

*to be able to help others - deserving people...

*help Animals, buy giving to organizations that - rescue animals, - create awareness

*give to organizations to promote safe food... for the health and safety of all of us, ... we need to know where our food comes from, what is in it... etc... give to sustainable farming organizations, because if more moneys are directed there, and keeping it local, after a while the food "industry" will change

oh shoot...
sorry i ran on and on...

I would just give and give and give!!!

*of course have the time to spend with family/friends, if i didn't have to work

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living